Justified 1/17/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ClutchBrake, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Holy cow what a fantastic start to the season.

Love Neal McDonough. Been waiting for him to get another part like this since Boomtown.

Great to see Desmond Harrington in something other than Dexter. I really like the actor but am tired of his role there.

Boyd and Raylan on screen together are magic. That is the best duo since Seth Bullock and Al Swearengen.

The final scene with Boyd in the prison was brilliant. So well played by Boyd.

Couldn't resist seeing where this season is headed so I had to watch the preview. So much good stuff coming our way.

2. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    One other thing... I read an article about Justified the other day that got me thinking.

In it, the actor playing Boyd states that he believes Boyd and Raylan actually like each other. The actor playing Raylan, meanwhile, believes they are bonded only by their hatred of each other.

I'm in the like each other camp. How about you?

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    This was a fantastic season opener. One thing I love about the Raylan character is that he's not superhuman. He gets his ass handed to him quite a bit on this show.

Loved it when his boss called him an *******!

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was fun watching him outwit the hit-man...

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Yeah. Art says something like this to Rayland as he calls him, "You can't shoot. You can't run. What can you do?" Raylan replies, "I could coordinate things over the radio!" Art, "That's MY job!"

6. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I'm in the camp that tries to figure out what that was doing in an article about Deadwood. :p

Z

7. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Haha! You got me. :D

8. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    We all knew it was coming. I spent the entire countdown trying to figure out what he was going to do. I assumed he knew he'd be slower because of his injury and he's just knock the table over.

tk

9. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Outstanding ep, been waiting for this to resume.

Guess Raylan read the file the 2nd time he saw it.

I think Boyd and Raylan have so much history together it's both. There are times when they genuinely like each other, and vice versa. Sort of like the best friends who allow nobody else to kick their friend's ass except them.

Would agree they are outstanding together on screen.

Gotta love it when Ava smacked Devil with the frying pan, too.

10. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I don't watch Dexter, but wow, great character in this. Too bad I suspect it was a 1 shot deal :D

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    That's not how I saw it.

12. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I love the show, I just wish they'd try a bit harder at the locations. There were 2 or 3 in this episode that didn't look remotely like Lexington. Especially that overpass where they met Wynn Duffy. That just screamed Los Angeles or some other big city. Hopefully they'll go back to Harlan soon. It's easier to fake. :)

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Loved the showdown. I also thought he was going to push the table over, on two or something. Moving the tablecloth was @#$%ing genius. So simple, so easy... bang.

Interesting how Rylan doesn't ever seem to kill anyone anymore. I know he's hurt but surely he couldn't miss a kill shot at that range, if he'd wanted to take it. And with Wynona right there being threatened... it just seems to me like he would have taken the opportunity to solve that problem and keep it from coming back on him.

14. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Too much paperwork!

I also liked Boyd and Raylan in the MarshallÂ’s office.
    Rayan to Boyd: "You won't like Mexico. It's full of Mexicans." Haha!

Great episode!

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, I think they got it just right. Remember, at the firing range he was not terribly accurate when he set and aimed. When he tried drawing, he missed completely. I'd say under the circumstances (snatching a moving gun off the table and firing it at a guy who was attacking him with a knife), he was a little lucky to hit the guy at all.

16. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Raylan's confidence is great. Thought this episode was very good. It pisses me off that a show like this can be well written and interesting when 95% of other shows like this SUCK.

17. tony touch

tony touch Nice and Smooth

Jul 16, 2004
    Atlanta
    Great episode. Lots of action for a season opener.

18. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That was freakin' brilliant. One minute in and they remind of how great the writing is.

19. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Another question for the peanut gallery.

In the final scene of the episode we realize why Boyd attacked Raylan (so he could get to Dickie).

My wife says that after rewatching the opening scene with Raylan and Boyd she believes Raylan knew exactly what Boyd was doing. And after rewatching I can't necessarily disagree with her. The case can be made either way.

I think that is what makes the show so brilliant, and it ties into my question regarding whether or not Raylan and Boyd hate each other or really like each other.

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    The guy wasn't attacking him, the guy was attacking where he thought he'd be, which is a significant difference. I thought Raylan was going to roll off of his chair, grab his gun off of the ground, and shoot him through the table but the tablecloth move was 100% cooler.