Just won a Tivo on eBay!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by matt314159, Aug 30, 2007.

1. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Hey everyone, I didn't see a "welcome" type section for the n00bs to say hi, but I figure I'll go ahead and introduce myself and my setup. If there was a different forum I should have put this in, please move it and accept my apologies.

My foray into the tivo universe began when I was browsing a goodwill store in las vegas, and found a 540 single tuner 80 hour box for $6.50. I bought it, and activated it to test it out. It worked fine, and I liked it, but I didn't much like the pricing options, so I canceled within the 30 days.

But I loved the experience. I've had generic DVR's in the past and I was surprised at how intuitive the tivo UI and remote is. But again, that pricing, argh!

So i went to ebay and craigslist in hopes of getting a lifetime unit, but more often than not, they were out of my price range, especially since I wanted to get a newer, nicer box, and I wanted it quickly...I didn't want to search for weeks on end.

So here's what I ended up with tonight.

I won an 80 hour S2DT box with 2.5 years of prepaid service remaining, for $255, shipped. Since the same box is $99 on tivo.com right now, I look at it as if I just bought 30 months of service for $156. That works out to like $5.18 a month.

Now, when I get this box transferred into my name and am sure everything's working okay, I actually plan on activating my 540 single tuner for a 3 year contract @ the 6.95 rate for the second receiver. So hopefully I did okay.

So there you have it, I had to get creative to get the pricing down a little bit, but I'm pretty excited!

If there are any tips tricks, or anything like that for transferring the service to my name with customer service, Im all ears. I'm a big advocate of RTFM and utilizing the search feature, so I'll get self-educated as much as possible, but Its great that a forum like this exists for help.

I half expect some replies saying either, "hey, i was bidding on that box!" or "hey, I'm the seller of that box!" since it seems like this is the home base for anything tivo! So we'll see. I would post a link or the ebay auction number, but i'm not sure if it would be misconstrued as advertising or something.

Anyway, thanks for having a forum like this! I hope I can get to the point where I can help pull my own weight around here and help other people. But i'm sure at first I'll be on the receiving end of most of the help.

2. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    That's not possible. Prepaid and monthly services cannot be transferred to other people.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would be very careful as c3 said Service can not be transfered to another account the only way you could buy a box and continue to use the existing service is if you retained the original account. Make sure you get that users ID and password along with the box. You can then go into tivo.com and change all the info on the account (including name, address, ID and password).

Good Luck,

4. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Ah...the seller made explicit statements that it could be transferred to my name. I'll make sure I do what you guys said so that I actually can change all the info over to me. Thanks for the tips!

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Only Lifetime Service can be Xfered to another name, if you try to move this sub TiVo could cancel it under TiVos T&C for prepaid sub.
    Good Luck

6. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Since you cannot transfer the registration, you cannot get the MSD rate for additional TiVos, and you cannot MRV between the units under different TiVo accounts.

7. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Even if the user just changes the contact info to mine in his online account, and then hands the username and password over to me? At that point, wouldnt I be the account holder, and be able to use the account as if it were mine?

8. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Actually, that's true. I don't know what I was thinking. It works only if that's the only TiVo under the seller's account.

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If the owner has no other TiVos in his account then I guess you could cheat TiVo by taking over his account and changing his name to your name address etc telling TiVo you have moved, changed your name so your former spouse can't find you etc, etc.

10. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I don't think I'm comfortable with the term "cheat tivo" as I don't see what I'm doing as cheating them. I don't even see how I would have to lie at all. You can change your account info and billing info, as well as un and pw through the online account. So once that is done, can't i just use the online activation to add the 540 I already have to the account, and won't it let me select the 3 year contract and apply the msd automatically?

11. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Everything you said is true, assuming the original owner is willing to do this and doesn't have other TiVo's. I wouldn't call it cheat as much as "work around the system". I don't see TiVo having a problem with this special case.