Just what are our monthly fees paying for?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Don G>, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Don G>

Don G> New Member

Sep 17, 2018

Advertisements

Hello.

Just what are our monthly fees paying for? They're definitely not paying for properly working firmware.

1. Quick Mode hasn't worked right for me since it was introduced. About half of the time, when it stops, either when I quit fast forwarding, or after Skip Mode, there is no sound. If I pause and then resume, or rewind a bit, sound resumes.

2. Why does Auto Skip require IFTTT? If my TiVo can send a signal to IFTTT, why can't it just go ahead and skip on it's own. Often Auto Skip just doesn't work, even IFTTT is working fine for other things. All that's needed is an option to turn on Auto Skip.

3. Much of the time closed captioning doesn't work right with italics mixed in with non-italics. It ends up with words scrambled or missing.

4. This last one isn't firmware, it's procedural. I contacted them twice in July to let them know that on July 16, the Cleveland OH CW affiliate was moving from WBNX (Spectrum HD channel 1004) to WUAB (Spectrum HD channel 1006). I was told three times to redo the guided setup, which I did. It didn't work. Eventually, I was told that this was being passed on for evaluation, and that I would be notified if/when action was going to be taken. Still waiting. Currently, they've supposedly fixed this by moving WBNX to Spectrum HD channel 1006, and WUAB to Spectrum HD channel 1004. This means anything I have a season pass for on The CW, like, for example, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, records something else, so I either have to watch it live, or use the Spectrum or CW app. This isn't the proper way to solve the problem, TiVo.

Currently, I'm looking into setting up a different DVR that isn't TiVo that doesn't have these issues and doesn't charge me $15 a month. Yes, that means a lot of hassle, but it might be worth it if TiVo doesn't get their act together.

Dob

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I can answer number 2, it is due to legal issues. Both Replay TV and Dish Network offered versions of auto skip and both got sued. Both lost in court. Replay TV is no longer around and Dish settled by making AutoHop not available until the next day. Using IFTTT keeps TiVo at arms length from the auto skipping

tim1724 likes this.
  3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've always found that filing the lineup change form works much better than calling. It has worked every time for me.

I don't use quick mode a lot, but it has always worked fine for me. Captioning issue are not Tivo's fault, it is the broadcaster.

You can use KMTTG to auto skip.

tim1724 likes this.
  4. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I've been relying on Wish Lists more and more. One season the Amazing Race became the Amazing Race 30. I was watching TV at the time, noticed that nothing was recording, went to the channel and started recording it. I made a One Pass from that recording but also added Amazing Race as a wish list. This is only a workaround for your problem, but it should work.

5. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

I dont understand this. All WUAB did was get the 2 hour CW affiliation and pushed their MyNetwork affiliation to late night. All they had to do was a programming shift and not move channels around. When I look at tvguide.com WUAB is correct and has CW from 8-10pm.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  6. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    1) The cost of writing and distributing Firmware and software updates
    2) The cost of sourcing, encoding and distributing the Guide data
    3) The cost of maintaining user support systems
    4) The cost of developing and maintaining TiVo online

Your or my appraisal of how well these services are delivered notwithstanding, that's what the fees are for. Lifetime is a much better deal...I broke even on lifetime vs monthly on our Roamio Pros over 2 years ago.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Dish agreed not to enable auto-hop within the VOD ad window. Which is typically 3-7 days for most networks. (referred to in the industry as C3 and C7)

I'm actually surprised no one has tried to sue TiVo over SkipMode. But I think because they use human verification for the skip points, and it's not completely automated, they might have found a loophole in the precedent.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not to mention it probably falls somewhere into a different way of FFing since we have to do something for it to work.

9. johnner1999

johnner1999 Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Best thing is to just drop Tivo. What was once great is no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncsercs likes this.
  10. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Or the local cable company; when they re-compress the video to squeeze more channels in they often mangle the captions. :(

(If this happens regularly file an FCC complaint. That's the only way to get the cable company's attention.)

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Captions are a local issue. If it's a single station most of the time, contact that station. They all have a dedicated caption contact on their "Contact Us' page (it's required by law). If it's several different channels, you probably have a transmission problem, which is your local cable company. Contact them.

I use captions 100% of the time, and they are perfectly transmitted, 99.9% of the time.

One thing you might try first: Go into the settings, find Captions, and set it so Std Captions are on CC1, and Digital Captions are on NONE. Sometimes digicaps cause problems.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Part of the issue here is that TiVo is only really setup to correct for *lineup* issues. For example, where the station "WBNX" appears in the guide as channel 1004 when it really should be on 1006. What they aren't (easily) able to correct for is when "WBNX" is on channel 1004 and is *supposed* to be on channel 1004, but the guide data is wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the fault of the local station not sending the correct guide data to TiVo.

If you think about it, your local broadcast stations are programmed more or less independently. They might carry network programming for a portion of the day, but the rest of the day - that's all on the local station. That local station may even decide to locally pre-empt part of that network programming, or timeshift some or even all of that network programming to a different time of day.

So, I'd imagine that each station has to transmit their own guide data to companies like TiVo and Gracenote, that then consolidate all that data into a guide data service. TiVo and Gracenote have no (easy) way to correct for when the local station sends the wrong data onto them, particularly if it only affects a portion of the programming day. They can't just assume that the local affiliate is always going to show the network programming live, so they have to just assume what the local station says they're showing is in fact what they're showing.

I'd imagine if they get enough reports, they might reach out to the local station to poke them and get them to send corrected guide data, but that's about all TiVo and Gracenote are really equipped to do.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    LOL. For me, personally, TiVo generally works well, albeit there will be glitches, and I rely on it more than ever before, happily.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When someone starts a thread but doesn't visit in 24 hours, does that make it a one and gone? A drive by?

Pete716 likes this.
  15. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    The audio dropouts when coming out of skip mode I've noticed is dependent upon your speaker system. Some of my sound systems have this problem and some don't. Some kind of handshake issue I guess. Even before skip mode, I've had occasional audio dropouts that had to be resolved by pausing and then rewinding like you say. But with my new bolt with my old Logitech sound system that doesn't even fix it. The only way to fix it is to turn skip mode on and off again.

16. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    For us, Tivo is an important part of our overall entertainment budget. And we use Tivo for recording our favorite cable TV programs and for streaming Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Pandora.

FYI: Due to a Wish List keyword, Tivo recorded a 1970 NBA basketball game from the NBA Channel. It was the opening game of 1970, broadcast originally on ABC's Wild World of Sports, and between the Atlanta Hawks and the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks went on to win the NBA title that year with a 2nd-year player named Lew Alcindor. The Hawks had a rookie on their team named Pete Maravich who signed a rookie contract for $1.9 million. Bucks used a second-half comeback surge to win the game.

It's possible I watched this game on our console TV back in October 1970.

Thanks Tivo!

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    On other forums, we've sometimes referred to such folks as tossing a grenade and running (something like that).

tenthplanet and johnner1999 like this.
  18. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The reality is the monthly fee pays for the box subsidy. I always thought they should have just priced the Tivo accordingly and not had a fee.

johnner1999 likes this.
  19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Down here in L.A. it's a drive by.

cwerdna likes this.
  20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are some perpetual costs like guide data, server connections and SkipMode. But not $20/mo worth.

mschnebly likes this.