Just upgraded from Premiere to Edge, new model seems noisier, is that normal/expected?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Tennberg, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Tennberg

Tennberg New Member

Jun 25, 2012

Advertisements

I replaced an aging Premiere with an Edge cable model a couple days ago. Setup was unexpectedly easy, especially considering that I used the CableCard that had been in the Premiere since I first set it up. I used Comcast's activation website and was very happy that it worked on the first attempt.

The new unit is much snappier and having the extra tuners and storage is great. My one concern is that the Edge seems noticeably noisier than the Premiere. With ambient noise in the living room, I can hear the Edge buzzing from about 7-8 feet away. It sounds more like it's the fan and not the HD making the buzzing noise. Are all Edge units like this? Is it worth exchanging?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't remember any posts concerning fan noise with an Edge. You might consider replacement. It should be silent from that distance.

3. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Mine's rather quiet. I've never thought about the noise. I had to stop and think about it to hear it. The air coming from my A/C vent in my family room makes more noise. My old Motorola DVR was annoyingly noisy in comparison.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could buy a Mini Vox and upgrade the hard drive in the Premiere for less than half the cost of the edge.