Just Upgraded 1 box to Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by carterblumeyer, Jan 14, 2019.

1. carterblumeyer

carterblumeyer Member

Nov 9, 2003

Advertisements

So I attempted again to try Hydra on one of my boxes today. Have to say improvements have been done since I did it about a year ago.. just 2 items so far nothing that probably has not already been mentioned..
    1) Of course is the live guide! I can't believe that this is that hard to do? You can do a grid or live guide on Ver3?? I believe if this was to be done you would have a ton of legacy user make the switch!
    2) Like to see what is on the other tuners as you did on Ver3 by hitting info and down arrow to view them
    3) background picture, although is pretty not needed Glade you can shut it off. I can only imagine how much processing power that takes up

Not too bad...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

2. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    For number 2 use right arrow to see the other tuners

3. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    • Press UP arrow: For channel surfing. Once Channel Surfing Guideis surfaced, press the rocker up or down to surf channels. Press Back button to exit.
    TiVo Experience 4: Remote Control Actions

Might be easier and faster to just look stuff up in the HowTo or Guide than asking question here

TiVO Experience 4 (Hydra) How-To and Viewers Guide November 2018

Get the guide!

[​IMG]
    TiVo Experience Viewer's Guide

Learn the basics
    Dig a little deeper

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    krkaufman, tim1724 and aristoBrat like this.
  4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    If I downgrade to te3, will I still have access to my te4 bolt? I'm talking watching shows, I Know transfers are on line. Right now both boxes see each other and the shows are available to be watched on either box. Will that be lost if one uste3 and the other te4? Forgive me. I know this question has been answered.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Yes, you can watch programs with either TiVo. From the TE3 box it looks the same. From the TE4 box you need to navigate to Devices and select the other TiVo. Also, the TE4 "My Shows" will seem to have two Deleted Recordings folders. Only the bottom one is real. You can transfer programs from TE4 with TE3 if they are not copy protected.

6. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Thank you . I would have to transfer all my Rick and Morty and Chamberlain heights and Mike Tyson episodes to the bolt. Then downgrade the Romio and transfer back. Or...just live with te4 which is fine.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There have been posts concerning transferred programs only playing for 10 minutes. Something to look for before dropping to TE3. It's a Bolt problem.

8. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I've accepted te4. I like te3 and it's look better but...eh

Scooter Scott likes this.
  9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm on TE3, but tried Hydra and that works, but, it's a big block of visual vs written words which is much easier to process. So another example of something new that is worse than before. I guess a toddler who can't read could use it.

I also seem to remember you can't see all tuners at once without scrolling down the big blocks.

It's just all these little things added up that makes Hydra a no go.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What I like about the right arrow for the buffers is that it is quicker. We get all these posts about how many more button pushes it takes to do things but there are many that take fewer. Like this one.

Or switching between the grid guide and the new live guide. The grid guide is the guide button. The new live guide is the up arrow. One button each.

11. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    A word is worth a thousand pictures.” —said by no one

The human brain processes images 60,000 times faster than text, and 90 percent of information transmitted to the brain is visual. That’s why commercials and ads are visual and not all text.

In TE4 all images have text associated with them. For example the block image of a TV Show contains text of the TV show name while the block image of a Movie contains text of the movie name.

You act as if TiVO invented this paradigm.

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Uh,no. Icons for movies and shows that you are unfamiliar with are not more efficient. And sayings like you used are not always true. A sentence like “Carol Channing died yesterday” conveys more information more accurately than any picture could.

BTW, not all TE4 images have text associated with them. And not always is the text present even when it they do. For example, movies on the new live guide do not have text associated. The title is missing. And on the buffer view, the text is only visible when the icon is selected.

I do like the buffer view but it could be better because while TiVo did not invent the paradigm, they are the ones implementing it and they could do better.

13. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    OK, I thought I would try Hydra and check out the mini live guide.

Do you know why the Hydra mini live guide works opposite of the grid guide and every guide ever used. The channel numbers work high to low instead of low to high.

Can this be reversed?

14. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    As I read your reply it reminds me of SCOTUS Judge Gorsuch who fixates on the most minor details to argue a case while completely missing the big picture. If you are unfamiliar with a movie name than we agree text is of no help while a icon can at least give you an idea what the movie genre is (animated, comedy, drama, horror) and possibly actors in the movie which can help jog your memory. That is clearly better especially for older people!

If I have an image of Carol Channing which includes her name and 1921-2019, as on News programs, this isn’t as good as text and clearly better if Carol Channing’s name doesn’t ring a bell? You might not remember a persons name but you might when shown a picture of them.

ADFE3690-17FD-4109-B828-CF0FB79B99FD.jpeg
    Every movie and TV show image I see has text embedded in the image or text associated with it if it’s clearer. This includes the up-arrow QuickView/Mini Live Guide, right-arrow TUNERS, left-arrow FAVORITES images, TiVO image bar, MY SHOW so I’m not sure what you are pointing to.

I admit I’m not sure what buffer view is but this all seems like minor nitpicking to argue about.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Soooo. Your argument for pictures includes text. That works. Not.

As for icons for movies. Nope. They are not sufficient. And are often too small. Posters for movies don’t always show what they are about. They may be artistic rather than literal. Or they may be designed for walls rather than postage stamps.

Give me a title over a graphic any day. It is specific.

And you remind me of the guy who keeps moving the goal post. You used a saying meant to convey a lot of information to apply to a very specific case then decried using the specific case in question. A signpost with the name of a street conveys more pertinent information than a picture of the street (unless it includes the text of the signpost) when looking for an address. A photo of a sunset over a valley conveys more than the words “sunset over the valley.” Use the right type of information for the right thing. They title movies and shows. Artwork is a sidebar.

16. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    1 day was enough of that. Downgraded back to TE3.

samccfl99 likes this.
  17. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    never upgraded to Hydra. From what I see it scares me. Probably why they named it Hydra.

samccfl99 and ClayKY like this.
  18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I always call it Mira if possible, It's the name that's part of the software release number of the HDUI. See the end of System Information. With TE3 it displays quattro, not Encore.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, those are gigantic. if those were embedded along with the name in a grid guide, I could see them as possibly being useful... and JUST for movies, sure I guess picking by the icon might be useful.. but it seems more time consuming to scroll around and find things.

20. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    I’m not moving the goal posts as my initial post clearly says “block image of a Movie. contains text of the movie name.

Not really sure what set you off to argue an innocent comment on TE4‘s big block of visual not being as easy to process as the text. To back that up I wrote “The human brain processes images 60,000 times faster than text.”

I use TE4 because I like the block images layout that Netflix made popular. YMMV