Just to balance the scales here...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by plazman30, May 25, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I have 2 Premieres. I have no issues with them. I run the HDUI, don't get blue rings, record tons of season passes, watch Netflix and use pyTivo to get stuff on the TiVo and kmttg to get stuff off the TiVo, and copy shows between Premieres all the time.

If you read through these forums, you'd think NO ONE is happy with their Premiere. I'm quite happy with mine.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Generally, people don't get onto a forum and post "everything is working to my expectations" :)

It's problems they want to post about.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    +1

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Same, minus the netflix, which I don't use.

However, the HDUI isn't complete, still flops annoyingly into SD mode whenever I want to access the to-do list or manage season passes, or browse my pyTivo list, or any number of things. It shouldn't do that. I paid for a complete device, not a half-complete one.

5. Frank_H

Frank_H New Member

May 21, 2011
    I am very happy with mine as well.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Happy with mine and I use them constantly. Most of these things I do now on my iPad or my desktop depending on where I am when I am watching TV.

I do agree I wish they would update them to HD, mainly since it might cut down on some of the gripes people have. My optimism though also says when we will get them we will get new features to go along with them. Then again I didn't think we would see the delete option on Premiere to Premiere until they updated that screen to HD. This was simply adding a line though that was already on other SD screens and not changing anything major on the screen.

Then again I have pages of features I would love to see, but for the most part it doesn't take away from my TiVo experience. They would just improve my experience.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    +1

8. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    +1 And I use the HD menus, and could really care less that they switch back to SD for some functions.

9. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I think the main problem people have around here is that they are not addressing issues that have been pointed out to them thousands of times. if you're perfectly happy with your product,thats great,thats amazing, but when people are having issues and nothing is done for months or years, then they will complain,as they should.

I dont think anybody here thinks the Premier is a terrible product, I think most people are far more upset with Tivo the company for not keeping promises.

its not an accident that every Tech site that reviews the premier comes away disgusted with the flash interface, yet Tivo has never even acknowledged it as a problem as far as I can tell.

10. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    +1

I'd like mine to be faster, but that's the case for most things in my life... my laptop, blu-ray, droid, car, wireless network file transfers, my wife's sandwich making. But I choose not to complain. Especially about the last one. :)

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This is just a small snippet of the audience here. Now while TiVo does monitor these forums and we tend to catch bugs quickly, I doubt this is their major source of feedback. Their feedback more than likely is actually mostly based off support tickets and actual feedback whether through customer service or through support tickets.

There is also a difference between constructive feedback and just plain bitching.

What promises? People keeping throwing out the word promises and I can't ever remember TiVo saying we promise to do this or that. If you have evidence of it, I would like to see it.

Name me a product where a company has ever acknowledged they have issues with their current product. Assuming it truly is an issue and even if TiVo has internally admitted it among upper management, this isn't something they are going to say publicly.

12. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Don't forget about FieldTrials.

13. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    wtf? tons of companies acknowledge problems with their software. when Google rolled their server-side security update to android,they told everybody. whenever they are asked about Fragmentation, they openly admit its a huge problem and needs to be corrected. when Google was complained to about updates to android devices not getting out fast enough, they held a press conference to announce a new agreement with the carriers to help correct that.

I could name countless gaming companies that answer to what is wrong with their games, and then they fix them, and guess what? they even release a list of what they fixed,just so you know what was broken before. Sony has spent the last month putting out press releases mostly talking about problems with the ps3 and psn

this isn't the only place people complain about the permiere, but you sure act like it is. theres been tons of threads on here where people called Tivo, presented a common problem, and had tivo told them 'we've never heard of that before' then they head over to google and see a million examples of it.

how about the fact that Permier shipped with broken youtube? is that not a unfulfilled promise? still waiting on those playlists to be fixed,oh and the tivo reps have 'never seen this problem before' ;)

How about the UI? how about the fact that they claim they have a HDUI when they actually dont,they have a half sd/half hd interface. thats the same as a broken promise.

how about the DirectTivo that never came out, wasn't that promised?

14. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I think you're missing the spirit of this thread. I believe the intention is to have a least one thread where people aren't crying, bitching, moaning, gnashing their teeth about their problems.

15. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    im just addressing his comments,which were not true.

I dont see why you need a thread to say ' no news here, everythings great' anyway. thats just spam.

16. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Security updates are vastly different than what you are proposing. There is no risk of our data being stolen off the Premiere. I don't remember Microsoft ever coming out and saying they had a problem with Vista. This would be more along the lines of what you are referring to since in essence you are asking TiVo to admit their UI and OS is broken.

Again these are vastly different things. The PS3 and PSN network again is due to a security issue which threatened user data and one that wasn't even initially reported and seemed like it had to be dragged out of Sony. I am sure I could also come up with a ton of games which still have issues from prior to beta.

I don't disagree that TiVo should go back to releasing info about their versions and what is addressed. I have never said otherwise.

This is the main place though, an unofficial forum where for the most part the community has attacked and chased off the very company it is based on.

You aren't calling TiVo. You are calling a call center. I deal with call centers all day long and they are never the informed ones unless an official memo has been rolled out. Even then most of the time they have no knowledge of it. Some days I have to read them their own memo which they mailed us. It is very likely that person has never seen this issue. I have been told on a monthly basis for the last 6 years by one company they have never seen this recurring problem yet it happens like clockwork. One time out of a hundred I will find an employee who actually knows about the issue and can solve it without me arguing with them.

You have a different definition of promises than I do. I guess according to you though Duke Nukem Forever was promised also.

17. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    There are plenty of companies that acknowledge bugs or problems with their software. They also cough up release notes when issues are fixed or enhancements are made. Here are two that I can immediately think of:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/using-quicken/release-notes/7978.html

http://www.arcsoftsupport.com/en/fo...&title=totalmedia-theatre-50187-release-notes

No software is perfect and all are prone to bugs/issues. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. However, I believe most would like to know the problems they've experienced are being acknowledged, looked at, and/or fixed

Here's the release notes for Google's Chrome browser:

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2011/03/chrome-stable-release.html

and firmware release notes for one of the many hardware releases from Sony:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6523&mdl=BDPS780

Now to balance the scales, I haven't experienced any major issues with my TiVos although I would like to see improvements to the product.

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I would say it's common practice in the software world to acknowledge known faults. It really makes sense; there's no reason for a user to be beating his head against the wall repeatedly trying something that isn't going to work.

Some other (non-bug) examples are things like updates. Every time any update happens, we have these people in the forum repeatedly restarting or daily calling to try to pull down the update. In the general forum, someone mentioned restarting 30 times to get Hulu+ enabled. Couldn't Tivo just be more transparent about these updates, when they're rolled out, how they're rolled out, what fraction of the subscriber base has received them, what new features are enabled, etc.?

ChangeLogs would be a very welcome feature. Even for small things. That way when something weird happens (like transfers having 5 seconds of audio dropout at start, a bug that I think was just reported), people will know why it happened and verify it was caused by the patch.

Take a look at something like World of Warcraft, for example. Blizzard publicly acknowledges bugs, acknowledges features that are being worked on, frequently updates patch test notes and ChangeLogs, even has a public patch test realm where the public beta is playable... and, don't tell me the world of online gaming isn't competitive or full of people prone to overreact when a promised feature is abandoned.

Not gonna happen in these forums.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Which means you *do* care that they switch back to SD.

20. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    You may call is spam, I call it just helping to balance the scales for people hopping on here for the first time looking for a TiVo.

My TiVo has never failed to record a show. I have never watched a recording that was just a black screen. But I am on FIOS and don't need to use a Tuning Adapter. I would like to see issues cross referenced against providers and see where problems really lie.

I'd really like to see a list of people's top 10 actual problems. An incomplete HDUI is NOT a problem. The TiVo is still perfectly functional with the HDUI the way it is. The HDUI being slow IS a problem.

It's funny, for all the bitching and complaining people do on here, I've only seen a handful of people turn off their TiVo service and get the cable company DVR. So, as much as people complain, they know that what they have is still way ahead of what the cable company has out there.