1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Switched to TiVo after Years of ReplayTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by steveliv, Mar 16, 2006.

1. steveliv

steveliv New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    i used Tivo during the series1 days, you know, 14 hours of recording, etc.. then i switched to replaytv and i have several observations and questions...

first of all, Tivo has the "season pass" by a million miles, all while i used Replay i could never get the replay equivalent to work, so i had to scroll throught the next days tv to record things, which leads me to my second obs. the replaytv channel guide was superfast, i could page down through it and not have to wait for a screen redraw and merely had to hit the record button twice to record and it would place a red dot on that entry in the channel guide, whereas Tivo when ever you move down or to the left or right on the channel guide it disappears and take a few seconds to show back up with the new info, and when you hit record you have to go through a few menus, and even then it doesn't place a red dot signifying that the show will be recorded...

secondly the online aspect of the device seemed to be more full featured than tivo, for example, if you logon to my.replaytv.com, in addition to an online channel guide, it also shows you currently have recorded and what is set to be recorded, and you can delete things if you wish... i wish Tivo would have something like this

also, the replaytv encoding seemed to be better than tivo, i was comparing it last night and the lowest setting on the Replay outdid the medium quality on the tivo..

are there any others here who switched from ReplayTV to Tivo and have any comments or advice...

thanks,
    steven

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Does your unit have 7.2.x on it yet? 7.2 introduced a guide cache and once it is populated the LiveTV guide is faster than it used to be. You can also switch between the TiVo Guide and Grid Guide formats.

As for the online features - TiVo has always stressed user privacy, so they have never allowed user identifiable data to be uploaded to their servers. Which has precluded the customization of TiVo Cental Online, etc. However, recent statements from the TCO team indicate that will change in the next release and there will be some customization - what was indicated is that it will be aware of your Channels I Receive list instead of the generic list it uses for you now. Many of us have suggested that TiVo have an Opt-In system for people who want to sign up to have their user data uploaded, waiving the privacy policy.

Encoding - it tends to come down to user opinion. I've seen both and I see different issues in each. IIRC, TiVo has 4 levels, RTV 3. TiVo's 'Basic' is lower quality than RTV's lowest, more compression, but I think the higher settings are comparable.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Two words.
    To-Do List.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Technically it's three words
    To Do List

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, I was at work and didn't have a TiVo readily available... ;)

6. chain777

chain777 Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Season passes are the most significant thing tivo has over replay. If that was the reason you switched, you made a good decision. It does everything else as good or better natively, or with 3rd party apps.

Otherwise, you just went backwards in terms of features (especially navigation within menu's and programs) and video/audio quality, not to mention networking abilities. And be prepared to deal with DRM and advertising.

Oh, and if you didn't lifetime the box by now, be prepared to pay for it for the rest of *your* lifetime.

7. DrStrange

DrStrange New Member

May 18, 2000
    Dots on the guide would be nice but the To-Do list and recording history are better management tools. Straight lists of what will and won't record in the next 10 days are a much easier way to monitor scheduling than scrolling up and down in the guide. A to-do list used to be the most popular feature request in the ReplayTV forum, back when ReplayTV had a user base and a future.

Tivo's title search is much better too, requiring you to enter only enough starting letters to uniquely identify a show and bringing up matches as you "type". Since you don't have to spell out any whole words nor wait on a "search" and hope you spelled it right (unlike ReplayTV), for any show you already know the name of Tivos title search is almost always faster than looking it up in the guide, even if you do already know when it's on.

The only thing that leaves for the guide to do is tell you what's on at a particular time when time/date is all you know, which for me anyway is rare.

The online features do fall short compared to ReplayTV except for the fact that scheduling shows remotely only requires about a half-hour lead time, rather than ReplayTVs overnight. I do wish Tivo would add remote management to their web page but that's probably a bit much to hope for at least until they teach the thing to limit it's listing to channels the boxes receive.

8. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    To Do List, Recording History, Season Pass, Wishlists, and TiVo's overall scheduling maintenance and conflict management schema are far superior to what ReplayTV offers, and I've used both. In other areas ReplayTV has advantages over TiVo, but not enough to overcome their inferiority in the basic 'time shifting' category which is at the heart of what a DVR is.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    All these issues/limitations for ReplayTV (and probably Tivo) are easily and in some cases better dealt with using 3rd party applications. There are very nice applications that include To Do Lists and plenty of search mechanisms for zap2it xml guide listings or even replay listings themselves and real time scheduling. DVArchive does most of this for ReplayTV, then there is Wirns, replaySchedule, etc.

10. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Out of curiosity, how well does Microsoft's MCE handle the equivilent of a "season pass" compared to Tivo? That's something that's vital to me...

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Ashburn, VA
    It's definitely not a black or white issue... many shades of grey, and perception will vary depending what's important to you. I prefer Replay's Grid Guide but prefer TiVo's scheduling (Season Pass, Wishlists, guide data). I prefer Replay being totally open allowing for third party development of remote management. Prior to TiVoToGo you had to hack your TiVo to get shows off, whereas it's laughably simple on ReplayTV to pull unencrypted shows. Even now TTG is too slow and for many requires an additional step of removing encryption. AV quality is better on Replay but that really depends on how sensitive a person is to those things. Replay has commercial skip which is awesome but also probably why they're no more. TiVo adding HME has opened many doors and that should continue to develop and add features. Overall TiVo has an easier, friendly UI. TiVo is still developing while ReplayTV won't be getting any updates. I've owned more TiVos than Replays and for a longer period of time, so I guess I made my decision. :)

12. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    My 2¢ that no one cares about. Tivo's guide is pretty terrible. I don't like the Tivo view at all (why would I want to look at only one channel? I don't care what channel something's on, that's why I HAVE a Tivo!). The grid guide is SLOOOOOOOOOOW. It's extremly irritating trying to get to a time or day you want to see.

But...none of that really matters much, because I hardly ever need to use it, because Tivo's handling all that itself.

Lame that Replay dosen't handle season passes well-that defeats the whole point of a DVR IMO. But anyone know how well Windows MCE does them?

13. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I have a S1 TiVo running 3.0. Here's the thing I've never been able to understand. What's the big advantage of the grid guides? To me the TiVo-style Guide for Live TV on my Series 1 is far superior. It took me about 30 seconds to get used to it, then I wondered why anyone would do things any other way.

In the left column, I have the listing of what's on right now. in the right, I have the listing of what's on a particular channel, over several hours. I can quickly switch between one column or the other, quickly page up and down, so it's easy to focus on the information I want. And the filtering allows highlighting of different categories of shows, making the information you want to see pop out. It's fast and easy.

Grid guides require lots of tedious scrolling and refreshing.

My advice to anyone coming to TiVo from some other platform is to get to know TiVo, put aside the way you did things before, and say "what's the best way to do what I need to get done". Then try for a fresh solution.

When you get new gear, you are likely to have different feature sets. It's natural to say "this was a good feature, and I miss it" but if you fixate on doing stuff only one way, you may not have the chance to realize that in some cases, a completely different way of doing the same task is even better.

Jan

14. chain777

chain777 Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    I agree that the scheduling could be better with replay, but it really isn't a big issue in everyday use. On the small chance you miss a recording, it's easy to log onto pooli.com and get the show sent to you. That's a killer app that has no equal.

On the MCE question, I've heard that the scheduling is even better than tivo's. I can't give specifics, but I'm sure someone using MCE could detail the differences.

The guide is so much easier to use on a replay. The simple reason is that you can navigate it magnitudes of times faster than tivo's. Add the DVArchive guide, and it's even better. I imagine tivo users who have never used these features can't understand the advantages.

I used tivo before replay, and switched to replay for the better networking, commercial advance and internet sharing. If I had never used replay, I'd be perfectly happy with tivo.

15. Tivo Basic Mike

Tivo Basic Mike New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    New York
    Season Pass name was trademark by Tivo Replay has a feature that will record a whole season worth of shows its just called record new shows only. Tivo is very good with catchy phrases.

16. dstoffa

dstoffa Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have friends who own Replays.
    I have friends who own Tivos.
    I have one friend who has had both.

I auditioned each before I purchased. Everyone was quick to pump up their box of choice. My one friend who had both summed it up best:

"You'll be happy no matter which box you buy. Tivo makes it easier to find / get your shows. ReplayTV gives you more options once have them."

For me, ethernet "out-of-the-box" and DVArchive (virtual ReplayTV for your PC) sold me in a minute. I chose Replay. My buddy who had both chose Replay. To each his own.

-Doug

17. steveliv

steveliv New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    one more urk is that tivo makes it so hard to get back to a recording, i think i should be able to scan the grid guide while watching a recorded show (whereas Tivo forces you to jump to live tv mode the second you hit the guide button), and on replay whenever you played a recorded show, and went into any menu, you merely had to hit the exit button and it would take you back to your recorded show, instead you have to go through tivo menus to get back to it..

also the reason why a fast channel guide is preferred is sometimes i like to scan quickly hour by hour to see if there is something i would like to record, because obviously i am not searching for a specific show..

Tivo's Season Pass has made things so much easier

i made sure to get lifetime sub on this tivo, and promptly placed my replaytv on ebay to recoup a bit of the cost

i guess this all goes to show what happens when you don't make nice with the networks, Tivo made nice and is going great, and replaytv sided with the consumer and is headed further down every day...

steven

18. Tivo Basic Mike

Tivo Basic Mike New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    New York
    oh yea that's right I also remember that I would have to stop a recorded show to see the guide I think that was fix though.

19. purwater

purwater I make tasty water

Aug 25, 2005
    SW Virginia
    I have 2 replay boxes in addition to my 4 D Tivos. I still have an old replay hooked to the basic cable that comes with my internet connection that records a few local shows and is a backup just in case. It has the lifetime service so might as well use it (but it doesn't have season pass style recording). I have a newer 5504 stored in a closet. When I was using cable the new replay did very well at the "season pass" recording. I set it to record new episodes only and it never failed to do just that. I tried a stand alone tivo with cable once and returned it for the replay. On the same tv and service the replay seemed to have better pic quality. Of course now that I have Directv with the integrated tivo it's the best thing since sliced bread, but when I was on cable the replay was a very nice unit and I would recommend them to anyone.

20. PhillyGuy

PhillyGuy New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    I have both ReplayTV and Tivo. I think the picture quality is much better on ReplayTV through component output. The navigation graphics are very sharp. Tivo on the other hand has a soft, fussy look to it. So I have my HDTV tuner connected to the ReplayTV through S-video.

What I really like about Replay is that its navigation is simple and yet powerful. It doesn't have the fancy graphics or animations that Tivo has, but a very clean and consistent look throughout. I like the ability to change recording names and manually categorize shows. I have two movie channels through cable, but all shows are listed as "Local Origination" as the title. With Replay, I can just enter the movie title myself. I don't think Tivo allows you to do that. Overall, I think Tivo tries to dumb it down too much. It often takes more steps than necessary to get a job done.

With that said, season pass is much better implemented on Tivo. I record a lot of syndicated shows. With Replay, it lists episodes shown on all channels when you do a theme search, and there's no way to record all episodes from only a specific channel. If there are multiple slots throughout the day, then you have to do a recurrent recording for each slot. Not a big deal, but just not very elegant solution. To Do List is also a nice feature. With ReplayTV, pending shows can be scattered throughout different categories. It’s sometimes hard to check what programs are being recorded.