Just started watching Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scottjf8, Mar 30, 2011.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    Grabbed the first season since we've never watched this. Man it's funny as hell!

Does it stay this great the following seasons?

Please no spoilers.

2. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    Great series and I'm still enjoying the new episodes. Always good for a few laughs.

3. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Paging Dr. Helmericks. White courtesy phone, please. :D

Personally, I still find it pretty humorous. I get most of the geekynerdy references, but I'm pretty easy to please.

YMMV.

4. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    The series is not as funny anymore as it used to be. Almost like one of the real geek writers left the show. However, it's still better than a lot of other shows out there.

T

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    [Sheldon]Your inability to spell such a simple Germanic-derived name does NOT speak well for your intelligence. I suppose you probably prefer Star Wars to Star Trek as well.[/Sheldon]

Bazinga!

;)

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Enjoy!!! It's one of my top faves. Still. :)

7. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    We've started watching it recently and have been enjoying it too.

BTW:

coitus!

:D

8. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    And still better than it was in S1. So if the OP is happy now, good things are in store.

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I've not seen a full episode, but I have been directed to some clips:

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I still enjoy it and look forward to new episodes and it is still my favorite comedy. I don't think I have deleted a single episode off my recorder this season because I know it is the show I am most likely to watch when I have 20 minutes to kill.

11. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Sheldor, how could I ever misspell a fine, Germanic-derived name such as Helmerichs. Surely, you must have misread my previous posting.

Now, who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes?

Trekker forever.

:D

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Those laugh track videos are fake...they just edited out the laughter. The show is taped in front of a studio audience.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Of course. I don't think they try to hide the fact that they're edited to remove the laughter.

The point they're trying to make, I believe, is that the jokes aren't funny on the show, they only seem funny because you hear people laughing at them.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And the point they're missing is that when you take out the audience interaction and replace it with awkward silences, of COURSE it's not going to sound as funny. If they did the show without an audience, they would use an entirely different rhythm.

(By the way, by titling it "without laugh track," which is a lie, I suspect they ARE trying to hide what they're really doing.)

15. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I like it better w/o the laugh track. They should do it that way - like Hogan's Heroes and Arrested Development.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with this, BTW.

It's possible. On the other hand, some people refer to any laughter in a television sitcom as a laugh track, regardless whether it is live laughter or pre-recorded.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I just discovered the show this season, so I don't know what season we are on but would like to see the previous one/s.

I find it amusing. I don't tend to notice laugh tracks...probably because I have to concentrate on hearing the lines more since I have tinnitis. It is a very specific-niche show, so I can see how a lot of people wouldn't find it funny. The Sheldon character alone makes it funny to me. I like Galecki. Would like to see Sara G in it more, just because I like her too and I like her with Galecki.

18. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Um - the same way you just misspelled "Sheldon"?

Just a theory...:D

19. RangersRBack

RangersRBack Member

Jan 9, 2006
    To the OP - I love the show and still look forward to it every time it is on.

That said, you will find that threads about the show often go off-topic, with people jumping in like they are Sheldon and one of the 'boys' arguing any number of trivial and insignificant-to-the-episode points.

It's like if people were to feel the need to go into American Idol threads and post youtube videos of themselves singing or something.

20. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Oh ye of little faith. Even a casual viewer of BBT knows of Sheldon's alias as Sheldor The Conqueror when he's engaged in online combat.

You knew that, right? :)