just some questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by jonmon, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010

Advertisements

Hi there:)
    Hows everyone finding the alt epg? I am quite pleased with it, I have noticed a couple of mistakes but on the hole its been reliable. Just glad I can still use my Tivo.

There is a couple of other things I want to ask, Has anyone used a scart up scaling box to hi def. I have a 42 inch tv and like to upscale the TiVo to a better picture. There seem to be a mix revues about them on amazon. It would be good if I could improve the picture even slightly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003DQ0N8C/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Also I was looking at a TiVo glow remote, does this work on a series 1 TiVo as I would like to get one as they are programable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-TiVo-...912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256527cc10

thanks for any help:D

2. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Your TV already has an upscaler built in so you will only see a benefit if the upscaler in the TV is worse than that in this external box. Personally I'd be dubious that at that price the external box will have a better upscaler.

3. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    not a direct answer to your Glo-Remote question but the dual switch remote of a good few years back worked fine.

i'm guessing it'll be OK but you might want to check out the other tivo forums just to be sure.

4. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    There is a series 1 for sale on ebay with a glow remote, so I guess they work.

Alek

5. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England

Advertisements

If you haven't already enabled Mode 0 then it would be worth researching how to do that as this had a dramatic impact on picture quality when I did it.
    You'll need a network card or serial connection. A network card will save you money on your phone bill unless you're AltEPG calls are incldued in your call package.

6. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the info:D
    I didnt know that the TV upscaled a scart connection I thought it only upscaled if I am using a HDMI connection. I will have to get mode 0 on my network TiVo at some point as I am going to get a bigger hard drive anyway, but not for some time though and I am just using my dial up TiVo at the moment as it is so easy to connect to the alt epg. I like the network TiVo so much more but find it all a bit complicated to use :rolleyes:. The dial up TiVo is so much simpler which is great for me. I always worry that I am going to make a mistake when using the dos window:confused:.
    I am very tempted to get a glow remote but they are a bit expensive and I can only get them from the USA which I guess is even more expensive. Like the idea of being programmable for other devices though.
    Thanks again:)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19 New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    London
    An LCD or plasma TV has a fixed pixel display. If you use any standard definition source to a fixed pixel display without any upscaling you would have large black boarders all the way around it. An SD PAL source such as TiVo outputs a 720x576 picture, but a full HD screen is 1920x1080 so the top & bottom boarders would be almost 250 pixels tall.

The chances are that any cheap offboard scaling (as used in many DVD players etc) will do a worse job than that of the scaling in the TV. The offboard scaler has no knowledge of what resolution the screen is or if it has overscan etc. So the chances are the upscaled picture would still be scaled by the TV - and doing it twice will cause at least some loss of quality. However the onboard scaler will take whatever resolution it is fed and adjust it to fit the screen as it already knows all the settings.
    To improve the picture with external scalling/processing you are looking at getting a high end video processor such as those from Lumagen - but you will need deep pockets as they are not cheap.

Mark.

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you've not done Mode 0, that's a much bigger win than any scaler. And it's free.

9. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    If you follow Automan's walk through here it should only take a few minutes to move your networked Tivo to the AltEPG - you can probably ignore everything after the 1st post - I did.
    http://www.tivoland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=480
    I cleared the "guide data and to do list" and almost everything else was remembered from the previous set up. Worth the effort!

10. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
  11. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Yes the Glow Remote works with the UK S1 Tivo (use one myself).
    You don't get the AUX and VCR buttons (not a big problem) and only some of the buttons are programmable (the ones for volume, aspect and input selection). Luckily, these are the ones that control the TV and not Tivo.