Just scored a HR10-250 for -$9.91 from D*TV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by maynard900, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 34
    maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I just got off the phone with D. This is what they "finally" offered.
    $599 HD DVR
    -$200 Instant Rebate
    -$250 Customer credit
    -$20 for 6 months on programming
    -$10.99 for 3 months for HD programing
    free shipping and installation.
    Total cost = they owe me $9.91 LOL

It took 3 calls to get this deal. I called this number each time 1-800-824-9081.
    The first time I called and said I just got a HD TV and was wanting to switch to HD and asked what they offered. They said $599 less $200 instant rebate. That was the best they could do. I told them I was going to call around and see if I could get a better deal through cable and hung up.

The second time I called I told them I was thinking of switching to cable because they offer a HDDVR and HD service for $12.99 month. (rent the receiver)
    They then offered a $100 credit and 3 months free HD ($10.99) and -$20 per month for 6 months.
    I said that was a good offer but still I could not justify paying $299 for a receiver I could get for free somewhere else. She then raised the customer credit to $150 and said that was the best she could do. I told her to enter this deal in my file and that I would call back later after I called and checked again with my local cable company.

The third time I called I told the operator to cancel my account. She asked if there was a problem. I told her about the deal they offered and I could do alot better with cable. She said she might be able to get me a better deal and put me on hold. When she came back on she was able to give me a $250 customer credit. She said that was the maximum allowed and I agreed. It will be installed on 1-24-06. I can't wait!! :D

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 34
    sdchrgrboy

sdchrgrboy New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Big Deal, you got hosed. I got a much better deal than that. Do a search

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 34
    chudel

chudel New Member

May 9, 2005
    Less luck for me. I received the offer of $200 instant rebate and $100 credit on the first call -- everyone gets 3 months free HD by the way -- but on my second call, the CSR wouldn't budge, and told me all the "evils" of cable. I also tried unsuccessfully to argue that their "hundreds of HD" channels was misleading because most of them are spot broadcasts for local HD. She insisted they were going to offer hundreds of HD channels with their newest satellite.

I don't have the "guts" to call and cancel -- wife would kill me if I left the child without noggin -- if I needed to call their bluff. And really, cable does suck. :)

But congrats and best of luck to you. Also, you should probably indicate the committment you made (if any - but likely 2 year).

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 34
    aktick

aktick New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    How long have you guys been customers? I'm going to call and see what I can get, I've been a customer for over 12 years now. With my luck they'll try charging me the old $1000 price for it :p.

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 34
    chudel

chudel New Member

May 9, 2005
    You will probably have better luck - I have only been a customer for 3 years, and most of that has been spent with their "Total Choice + Locals" tier, which doesn't have much PPV/HBO/profit attached.

Cheers!

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 34
    maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    You got a better deal? Let's see what kind of deal you got.

In that thread you stated this:

"Just purchased my 2nd HR10-250 from Best Buy, $699.99 - less 50% off coupon, plus tax $377.11, less $250 D* retention credit, plus HD package free for 6 mos. ($65.94) and HBO for $2 for 6 Mos ($60) equals a grand total of $1.17. God I love D*"

Maybe I am missing something. I got free Installion and a free antenna for locals, did you?
    Maybe you have a different way of doing math than I?
    I just don't think you got a better deal. If you did please post it.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 34
    maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I forgot to mention there is a 2 year commitment. They would not waive that. I have been a customer for 5 years now.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 34
    Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    nyah, nyah , nyah, (sticks out tongue) and my dad can beat up your dad.
    come on kids, grow up.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 34
    aktick

aktick New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Maynard - what programming is your "-$20 per month for 6 months"?

I just called, and was offered basically what you got offered during your 2nd call - $200 instant rebate, $100 credit, HBO for $2 for 6 months, Showtime free for 6 months, and of course the free HD package fro 3 months.

So that works out to about $300 before the programming, $150 after programming rebates.

As soon as she saw how long I've been a customer, she gave me the $100 credit.

What did the CSR you talked to sound like? Was it an older middle-aged woman? I just don't want to call and start asking them to cancel my account and have them follow through with it :D.

10. maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    The -$20 a month for 6 months is a $20 credit off of my programming package.
    All three people I talked to sounded like middle aged women. I would call back and see if you could get a bigger cust credit. Be nice. If you threaten cancelling and they will not give a better deal then just tell them you will call back after you talk it over with your wife.

11. maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I forgot to mention I have the premium package. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

12. toneman

toneman This space for rent

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    maynard900--please don't take this the wrong way, but when you closely analyze your deal...D* doesn't really "owe" you $9.91 (I assume the $9.91 credit includes S/H--otherwise the numbers you provided don't calculate to -$9.91). How folks reckon that they wind up being "owed" any money from D* is hilarious...unless they're saying that in the sense that their net cost is that.

When you read between the lines regarding deals such as the one maynard900 posted, you'll find that in reality D* does not "owe" you money...you just wind up paying less out of pocket. I mean, if D* really owes you $9.91 or whatever...does that mean they're gonna send you a check for $9.91 or perhaps credit $9.91 to your account? Not even close...

Look at maynard's deal--first off, he has to pay $149 out of pocket for the DVR (other previous credits notwithstanding); then, the $20 is taken off your bill each month--not all at once...and ditto the $10.99 for HD. So I ask...how is it that D* is "giving" you back any money at all? Unless you have some massive monthly credits owed you on a monthly basis, wouldn't you still wind up paying D* anyway...only less than you normally would?

I'm just nitpicking (i.e., arguing semantics) so please don't think I'm trying to make a big issue out of this; I'm happy that some of you folks are scoring HD Tivos for a net profit when all is said and done, but it cracks me up that some of these folks view it as D* owing them money...for the most part, such is clearly further from the truth. ;)

13. maynard900

maynard900 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Yes, I got free S&H and a free local antenna. I think they charge somewhere around $40 for that. I did not even include that in my post.
    I am not stupid and I am sure no one reading this is. I know that they do not actually owe me money. I was just being funny. But, in the long run I will save $9 and have a HD DVR.
    It is a win/win situation for anyone who gets a deal like this.

14. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    No matter what you got, someone else got a better deal.

When I signed up for DIRECTV last month they gave me a free car.

15. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    They sent a hooker to my house.

16. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown
    Dang how did I miss the car and free hooker deals? I should've just held out! :D

17. Cubfan

Cubfan Returning User

Aug 19, 2000
    Bloomington, IL
    Gosh, by this logic, since I don't have HBO and Showtime, D* is paying me $20 a month. Wow, that's really cool!

18. MTW1961

MTW1961 Long Time Newbie

Feb 18, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, I appreciate the original post, being one who has waited a long time with no HD DVR. I'm getting ready to call and I like hearing the latest anecdotes of what others were offered.

Thanks, maynard!

19. aeisner007

aeisner007 New Member

Aug 21, 2004
    I guess nobody got a car with a hooker inside and a monthly stipend.

20. aktick

aktick New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Just called back after "checking with my wife."

I ended up getting:

$600 HD-Tivo
    -$200 customer credit
    -$200 mail-in rebate (I'm going to get my own at BB so I can have it ASAP)
    -$60 ($5 off bill for 12 months)
    -$33 HD Programming 3 months
    -$60 ($2 HBO for 6 months)
    -$60 Free Showtime for 6 months

No shipping/handling since I'm getting my own.

Total of about -$13.

Granted, I probably wouldn't have had Showtime, so that $60 isn't really "savings." Not getting the instant credit by purchasing at BB kind of sucks, but now I'll have it tonight at least...paying $600 now instead of $400 does stink though.

I kind of threatened to leave for Dish Network because of their cheaper HD-DVR and more HD choices, and she offered the extra $100 credit and $5 off for 12 months, which got me close to $0 and satisfied.

Thanks for the phone # and info Maynard :up:.