Just replaced an OTA's fan...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Intheswamp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Active Member

Nov 14, 2017

Advertisements

Well, our SIL and daughter bumped their heads or something. We gave them a Roamio OTA several Christmas's ago and just recently he and my daughter *went back to satellite*. I know I raised her better than that, but... o_O

<chuckle> Anyhow, they asked us if we wanted the Roamio...well, duhhh, sure!!! Their Roamio, though had a loud fan on it and I had intended to replace a good while back but never got around to it. So, today I took it apart and replaced the fan...leaving the screws out of the fan's bottom mounting holes (for an even easier replacement in the future, if needed). I got everything back together and the Roamio seems to be running and and is very quiet now. Checking the MBT after the system had been running for a short period of time shows 30C. Unfortunately I didn't check prior to swapping the fans out.

I used the Evercool 35mm x 10mm 12 Volt Everlube Bearing Fan w/2 Pin 7mm Connector EC3510H12E Tivo Roamio . I bought it back in January 2020...price was $11.99 then, looks like $12.95 now. It was a straightforward replacement. No problems. The connector went on just like the original one. The fan is a seven-blade model whereas the OE fan was a five-blade.

I was watching the Week Knees video and noticed that the Roamio OTA did not have the cable card holder in it. Other than that it all looked the same as in the video.

We gave my daughter and SIL the Roamio for a Christmas present in 2018. I'm guessing the fan started making a noise in November or December of 2019. So, the OE fan basically lasted a year before starting having problems. It will be interesting to see how long this fan goes before getting noisy. The label on the Evercool states that it has "EL Bearings". Reading the blurb on Amazon about it it states that the fan has "Fluid dynamic bearings" and that they will last longer than sleeve or ball-bearing fans. We will see.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this small project. If you're the least bit good at tinkering with things don't hesitate to do this fix. It really is simple. As long as the plug works with no issues then it is just a simple parts swap-out. If the plug is different on the fan you use for the replacement then you might have to do some wire-splicing but that's no biggie.

Now we have a Roamio OTA in the kitchen, too! ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Dan Cour likes this.
  2. Richard Esposito

Richard Esposito New Member

Dec 12, 2019
    Had the same problem over a year ago. Rather than replace or remove the fan, I did the following:
    1. I removed the round sticker on the fan.
    2. I drilled a small hole in the center of where the sticker was.
    3. I used a needle point oiler to put a drop of oil in the hole.
    My fan has been noise free for over a year ;-)

Teeps and Intheswamp like this.
  3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Well, I've got to say that the fan replacement ended up being a "so so" success. It is quieter, by a fair margin, that the OE fan that I removed. But, after a couple of days the fan did get noisier. I've still got the OE fan so I may try your modification. I need to look at it to see what it looks like in that area...don't want to drill into the windings or anything, but I've got nothing to lose by trying (except maybe killing a very noisy backup fan). Thanks for sharing.

4. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is gone.

Just buy the WeaKnees fan kit.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Active Member

Nov 14, 2017

Advertisements

Well, its ok...just not as quiet as the OE was when it was new.

6. jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...
    I replaced my fan about a year ago with a cheap $12.95 fan. It is still very quiet. I can buy 3/$12.95 fans for the price of the OE and it only took 15 minutes to replace.

7. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Yep ...

Just replaced a fan that went noisy in a Roamio OTA here after only a few months.

Trying a different brand this time from a co. called "Fan Van" off amazon for about $12 each.

So far very quiet, but do yourself a favor next time and just use the top two torx screws to secure the replacement fan.

As it's a real PITA to have to lift out the entire system board just to access the bottom two fan mount screws which are covered by it. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

jerryez likes this.
  8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Hmm, I'm just wondering. Could the absence of the two lower screws contribute to noise? I left the two screws out of mine when I replaced the fan and noise soon returned, though not as bad as it was. When I feel like it I might open it back up and poke around a little to see if I can change or decrease the noise level. The noise is there, but not as bad and not really bothersome, but...