Just purchased the H20...what's a good, *cheap* switch??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by disco, Jan 5, 2006.

1. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    I have four lines off my triple-LNB dish feeding my TiVo's (two lines each). I obviously need a switch to get signal into my H20 HDTV receiver. What's a good, *cheap* switch to purchase that works with these, and does it matter where I place it??

(thanks for the great deal, Value Electronics!!)

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    H20 on the Tripple LNB.. (Guess you don't have the MPEG-4 Locals yet).

I would invesite in the Zinwell 6x8 so you won't have to change it when you do go to the 5LNB dish.

If you don't go that route... Any of the switches will work.
    I have a JVI that I could send you (for a modest fee) if you don't find one.

I found some Zinwells an Eagle Aspens on Ebay for about $40 each.

3. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Yep, no MPEG-4 locals. ValueElectronics assured me, though, that I should be able to receive the MPEG-2 HDTV channels with the H20, using my Triple LNB. I'll get the 5LNB when HDTV locals become available.

BTW, I just checked on HDTV DNS, and according to this site, I'm eligible to receive NBC, ABC, & FOX from LA/NY. So, I call D* to confirm, and the guy says, "Yeah, you're eligible, but you'll need an off-air antenna." HUH?!?! I ask him again, "So, to get NBC, ABC & FOX in HDTV from D*, I need an off-air antenna??" His reply, "Yeah."

HUH????

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I think that link is for the SD stations only...

I would call again, play the CSR roulette whell.

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    I called again and got a CSR to send in waivers for me. That link DOES specifically state "Digital (HD) Distant Network Service". Here's what it came up for me:
    Network.....Affiliate...........Status
    ABC......................................Eligible
    CBS.............WCCO-DT..........Area Grant on file
    FOX......................................Eligible
    NBC......................................Eligible

Underneath it all, in small print, it states:
    Does that mean I can only get ONE HDTV feed???

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes, you will only get either the east coast or west coast network HD feed.

And, if you go with ebonovic's suggestion to get a 6x8 switch in preparation for local MPEG4, you need to get the one used for the AT9 dish. I think it is the WB68 switch.

7. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    I might just steal a line off my living room TiVo (I hardly use both tuners on it anyway) until DirecTV upgrades the Twin Cities market to the 5LNB/MPEG4 locals (sometime before June, I hear?).

Glad to hear that they only mean East or West coast, and I don't have to CHOOSE one of the networks!! The second CSR I spoke with (whom I could barely understand...), filed the waivers for me and marked my account saying the waivers have been sent. Here's hoping the waivers are approved before the MPEG4 locals come my way!! I'd like to have SOME HDTV networks before they arrive in Minneapolis.