Just picked up an (older) HD Tivo - Advice?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Luclin999, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1 of 11
    Luclin999

Luclin999 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Hello,

I am new to the HD Tivos (I have an old Toshiba Tivo/DVD box) but I went ahead and bought a Tivo model TCD652160 on clearance from a local store.

However, once I got home and looked around on the web I saw that there were newer "Premier" models available now and am wondering if I should open the box and use the one I just bought or sell it an consider getting one of the newer machines.

Are there enough differences between the model I just bought and the "Premier" Tivos to be worth it?

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 11
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Keep the HD, the Premiere doesnt have enough changes to go to any trouble. The Premiere will do Hulu-Plus but so do a lot of other devices and probably better.

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 11
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If you plan on getting a lifetime subscription-a one time $500 payment-then I would go with the Premiere. It can be had from $65 to $100 for the Tivo box itself. The Premiere is a more capable machine and is the latest platform, of course. The Premiere is capable of streaming which apparently is not something not in the plans for the Tivo HD. The main drawback for the Premiere is, if you are not going with the one time lifetime subscription, is it has a very high monthly cost($19.95 per month).
    Actually, Tivo is basically offering the Premiere free if you get it directly from them(Tivo.com) and committ for 2 years(24 months x $19.95). Check the details on that though, because it is a new promotion that just started. But as you can see for that amount, you can basically buy one from Amazon, etc, for about $75 to $80 and get the lifetime subscription for $500, which is not too much more than the 2 year committ plan.

I've had my Tivo HD for 3 and a half years, with a liftime subscription, and love it. I also just bought a Premiere last week and like it even more, but I don't think I am going to be able to afford it, so have not activated any kind of subscription plan just yet.

The monthly cost of the Tivo HD is thought to be only $12.95 per month. The lifetime subscription is the same as the Premiere. It has marginally better over the air(reception with antenna) than the Premiere but lacks several of the capabilities that the Premiere has. The Tivo HD is also quite a bit bulkier than the Premiere.

Just so you know, lifetime subscription means for the Lifetime of the Tivo DVR, not the owner. So whenever the Tivo dies, the lifetime subscription dies with it.

There is a lot of reading here, so before opening up that Tivo HD, spend a little time here learning about Tivo. Then make your decision.

If I were in your position, I would try to find the cheapest Premiere I could, and get a lifetime subscription. If the $500 lifetime sub is not for you, I would probably go with the Tivo HD, but I would check with Tivo to make sure what the monthly cost will be.

How much was your Tivo HD, if I may ask?

Good luck.

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The subscription, which is required on the HD and Premiere, is $12.95/$9.95 MSD* for the HD and $19.99/$14.99 MSD* for the Premiere

Lifetime is not available for the Premiere until after 1 yr's of monthly service. Yearly subscriptions is not currently available.

Lifetime pricing has also changed since May 19th, $499.99/$399.99 MSD*

* MSD = Multiple Service Discount, The 2nd to 6th Tivo in your account is discounted. Limited is 5 Discounts following a full priced subscription. So, the 7th is at full price, 8th to 12th is discounted, etc.

(I read through the Tivo service agreement beforehand.)

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5 of 11
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You must have missed something! :p

Probably a little confusion in this early period after the new pricing plans for the Premiere, but as I understand it, the pricing plans for all Premieres purchased from this point forward are, like you stated $19.95/$14.95 msd, but Lifetime is also available, immediately:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do?WT.ac=shophome_buybutton&WT.z_success=buy_cta

"TiVo Premiere DVR: $99.99
    Product Lifetime service: $499.99"

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 11
    Luclin999

Luclin999 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    $20 new in box from a Blockbuster store that was closing down.

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 11
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Well, I can just imagine how tempting paying $600 for a Premiere and Lifetime would be to you! :rolleyes:
    Unless the additional $580 actually is acceptable to you, this is a no-brainer. You got a great deal. Pay $129/year for your subscription and enjoy!

Just FYI, the significant differences of the Premiere, other than Hulu Plus capability, are faster network transfer speeds and an HD user interface which doesn't seem to work well for a lot of users. The network speed advantage only affects MRV and TTG. And about 30% of cable systems have copy protection that prevent these functions on all but local channels. The Premiere's OTA tuner sensitivity is also slightly inferior to the HD's.

8. Jun 7, 2011 #8 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you ever have a subscription on that Toshiba, or just the 3 day basic?

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    Luclin999

Luclin999 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I've been running the 3-day basic since I bought it.

I did have an old DTV Tivo many, many years ago (circa 1999) but got rid of that when I dropped DTV.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you got that S3 HD for only twenty bucks, I'd go ahead and commit to one year at $12.95 per month and by the time that year is up you'll probably know if you want a Premiere instead, or if you want to get a Product Lifetime Service subscription (and it should be $100 cheaper at that point since you'll be an existing customer, although you might want to see if that Toshiba qualifies you as an existing customer, which would mean you could get a Multi-Set Discount on the monthly rate on that HD).

Also, if you want a Premiere now, there's a Father's Day promotion

http://www.tivo.com/promo/fathersday11.html?WT.ac=tivohome_fathersday11

that runs out Thursday (June 9, 2011)

that's a 2 year committment at $19.99 per month, no money down, and you get the unit itself for free.

You can probably trurn around and Craigslist that HD for $50 or more.

Google

site:craigslist.org tivo

and sort by date, past month to see examples.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Break even about 3.5 years(42 x 12.95 + 20= $564). You can find brand new Premieres for about $75 shipped(from real electronics retailers). My area, Premiere can be had for $65, brand new(retailers advertising on craigslist).