Just Ordered the New DirecTV TiVo from DirecTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Captain Spaulding, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 32
    Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Centerville,...
    I noticed that the DirecTV web site was off line for updates very early this morning. It came back online a little after 5:30 Eastern time this morning and I was then able to order the new DirecTV TiVo DVR. I am in Ohio, which is not one of the test markets, so I'm assuming it is available nationwide now. As a long time customer, it was $99.00 plus tax.

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 32
    Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    on the phone now - looking for a free one

3. Feb 9, 2012 #3 of 32
    Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Buy, do I feel like an unwanted customer. Best offer I got through retention is $198. Time to cancel for real this time.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #4 of 32
    Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    VT
    How long have you been a customer?

5. Feb 9, 2012 #5 of 32
    Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Centerville,...
    From what I've read over at the satellite forums, discounts that subscribers might receive are based not only upon how long someone has been a customer but also upon other discounts, free offers, etc. that have been received in the past.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #6 of 32
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm very happy with my deal this morning, but I got hit with a $49 installation charge and the thing is being brought on an installer's truck rather than shipped directly to me.

I already have an HR20-700 (and extra multiswitch capacity for a new receiver); is the dish somehow different?

Anybody else here getting hit with the $49?

7. Feb 9, 2012 #7 of 32
    Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Since 2001. But F them, I cancelled effective next week. I going to go without a provider and see if it kills me to do so.

I thought they would cave when I said go ahead and cancel but they didn't. I have an OTA antenna. We'll see how long I can take it. :)

Sadly Comcast would cost me even more.

8. Feb 9, 2012 #8 of 32
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't know if you saw the infamous investor slide show from several years ago, but it defined how DirecTV looks at customers. If you're pretty much a modest package of programming and equipment you're dead weight, and good riddance to you.

I dislike DirecTV very much, partly because of this attitude (even though their crazy formula seems to rate me high and I get good deals). But they hold the sports hostage, so there I am. I shut them down now and then, and it feels good, but the sports always gets me back.

If they ever lose exclusivity on some of these packages I'm gone in a second.

9. Feb 9, 2012 #9 of 32
    Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Centerville,...
    Did you order by phone? When I ordered online this morning there was the option for self-install, which had no cost, or professional installation, which did have a cost.

10. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    my monthly expenditure averaged $120 - 6 hd dvr's

11. kpollari

kpollari New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Just ordered mine on the phone for $99 plus tax and shipping. Agent had to first search to get me the $99 deal but wanted to charge $49 for installation. I asked her if I could do a self install and after a few minutes she got authorization for that too. Grand total $128. I'm happy. Although, I did have to wait for a second service rep to go over the contract terms for a second time. Oh and I've had service since 2003.

12. technojunkie

technojunkie Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Charlotte
    Well no luck getting the install fee removed however I did get it for free but had to agree to 2 more years. It was crazy to listen to the agent go through every negative feature they could think of about the unit before offering me the $49 install only charge. I think it sucks as I have been with them for 14 yrs and have been living with an SD TiVo that rebooted whenever it felt like it. Should be done in a couple of days.

13. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    VT
    Wow, that's pretty harsh on their part.

14. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I'm starting to look forward to OTA only :) We watch way too much TV as it is, I'm surprised that my wife is also looking forward to it. Time will tell.

15. Klankster

Klankster Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    Just ordered mine. Got the top package, the Tivo unit was free. CANNOT WAIT to punt the miserable Time Warner tuning adapter to the curb! What a POS.

16. Cabo

Cabo New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    The average monthly revenue per subscriber is $90.48
    Average subscriber acquisition costs—per subscriber is $806 (that isn't a typo)
    Total number of subscribers is 19.8 million.

Hard to believe they'd let a long time customer walk.

I watch OTA in our guest room every night and it isn't that bad.
    Reception is great and you can't beat the price. I use an indoor antenna called "The Leaf" which gets great reviews.
    There's something to be said about saving $120 a month.

17. schell

schell New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    I had to agree to a 24 month contract, but I am getting one for no charge no install fee's

18. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I dropped DirecTV in 2009 after 12 years. Getting by with TiVo with OTA, Blu-ray and Google TV now and I am very happy.

19. EmilyEmily

EmilyEmily New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    I was in one of the test markets and called to get mine about a month ago. The guy initially offered it to me for $99 with a $19 fee to do the HD upgrade install, but with no resistance dropped it to $0 plus the $19 fee when I asked. Of course, I've been a customer nine years and was only getting SD, so it was in their interest to upgrade me to HD.

Then I called back a week later and asked for that offer where if you enroll in Auto Bill Pay, you get your HD fee waived. I had various reps tell me it would be in effect for 12 months or 24 months, but all agreed that I could call when the waiver expired and they would grant it again. So I'm not paying the $10 HD fee each month; my service only went up by the $5 monthly TiVo fee.

20. HerbalEd

HerbalEd New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I guess you'll really show them, huh? What are you trying to prove here? And why? I'm reading on dbstalk.com that many who are not getting a deal are calling back later to talk to different CSR and they're getting the discount. Be calm and courteous .... and persistent ... and I'll bet you get a much better deal (if not exactly what you want).