Just ordered a Premiere (Cord Cutter)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Scarpad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Scarpad

Scarpad Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Western Ma

Advertisements

I recently Dropped Direct TV and wend with an Outside Antenna, I was considering geting Comcast since I already had them for Internet Services, but the package deals for existing customers stink, there's no incentive to add their services, my Girlfrend a Direct TV sub got all sorts of Deals. So it looks like it will be OTA only for me still, hopefully all will go well.

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    im a year and half in on cutting the chord. the premiere, and any series 3 model works great for OTA.

3. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I'm less than a year from cancelling DirecTV now. Picking up some used Tivo HDs this week.

-Ted

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I cancelled DirecTV after 12 years over 2 years ago. With TiVoHD and OTA along with Google TV for internet access, everything is fine for me. I may never subscribe to satellite or cable again.

5. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Advertisements

Yep me too cut the cord in 2010.

T

6. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    3 years next month for me. I have never regretted a single moment.

7. drknapp

drknapp Member

Nov 27, 2011
    We are into our second week of having cut the cord. Real happy about it so far. Especially the $120 a month savings! :)

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm still amazed that people think they're saving money by paying for the Tivo service just to record OTA channels. You can install multiple ATSC tuners in your existing PC and record all those channels for just the cost of the tuners, which is considerably less than what you'd pay for a Tivo. A Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual PCI-E ATSC tuner runs about $50-75 on ebay. There are no monthly fees whatsoever and the picture quality is as good as anything you'll record using a Tivo.

If you're hesitant to take the plunge then consider this. Windows 7 Media Center is the most stable version Microsoft has issued to date. As long as you're not constantly changing hardware and drivers it's pretty easy to build a stable WMC PC. If you've already got Win 7 on your PC then you can get a cheap ATSC tuner and try it out. Pick one up and try it out on your PC to see if it works for you. If you don't like it then put it up on ebay and get your money back.

There are also other alternatives to WMC for recording OTA channels. If you're into Linux there's MythTV, which has a huge following, but requires a much higher level of expertise to set up. There are other Windows-based DVR apps, but if you've already got Windows 7 you've already got a great DVR app in Media Center so there's nothing else to buy.

You may find that using a PC for your OTA recording chores may be just what you need to completely cut the cord. I'm pretty sure that the whole idea behind cord-cutting with cable and satellite is to save money, right? Aside from the initial investment in a PC, which you have already done or you wouldn't be able to post here, adding tuners is relatively inexpensive. You might have to invest in antenna, but if you're going OTA only with a Tivo I assume you've already taken that into consideration.

WMC PCs aren't for everyone and there is some setup required. However, it's pretty easy to configure WMC for recording TV by simply following the onscreen setup instructions, just like a Tivo. If you really want to completely cut the cord and save money, give it some thought.;)

9. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'm still amazed that you don't get that the average person doesn't want to deal with installing hardware or software, maintaining an OS, or worrying about sharing a desktop PC with someone recording or watching programs.

The world is going the complete opposite direction of the way you seem to think it should. People want information and entertainment appliances, not personal computers.

10. exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I couldn't agree with you more. When I was younger I was into building my own computer and having a hands on approach. I felt like I was saving money by doing it myself. In reality, time IS money, and I spent more time than any sane person would, researching components and compatibility requirements. People just want something that works when they need it, with the least amount of effort. Hence why Apple is doing so well as a company, selling essentially the same product as the IBM clones, just with less headaches.

11. Scarpad

Scarpad Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Western Ma
    I agree I had an Eye tv on a Mac and it was a constant Hassle to have to deal with, with Tivo I know the show is there.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Does it deal with shows changing timeslots (with the necessary lead time for the change to show up in the guide data)?

Do you get guide data, AS complete as on the Tivo (e.g. episode #, description, title, original air date)?

Things better than Tivo:
    Can it use ONE TUNER for "overlapping" shows on the same channel? (e.g. 8:29-9:01 then 8:59-9:31 on the same channel)? This would be GREAT and supposedly some other DVRs can do it.

BTW, in case I sound like a total Tivo defender, actually one of the cablecard devices sounds intriguing to me (though unfortunately there are none that work on a Mac AFAIK.. so I would have to suffer with Windows)...

I still think it would be FAR more tinkering than a Tivo.

13. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    1/2) Yes, it gets the same guide data as Tivo.

3)Not that I''ve seen.

14. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    This is one feature that is nice on DirecTV DVRs.

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It's cheaper. With OTA, Tivo is plug and play right out of the box. How much would it cost to find a assembled HTPC that's ready to go right out of the box with a customer support number to help diagnose issues?

You can find a used Tivo HD with lifetime service for under $400.
    A brand new Premiere with lifetime service is less than $600.
    If you don't need HD, you can easily find a lifetime S2 for under $100.

It's also easy to find inexpensive backup Tivos without lifetime service to use for spare parts.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    And, recently at least, there have been deals to buy a new Premiere and get OTA-only subscription service for only $10/mo (instead of the normal $20 for a Premiere).

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Around $300-350 for an HTPC (basic PCs which will work fine are regularly on sale for $250-275, and a dual HD tuner is around $50). But this is the same price as a used Tivo HD on fleabay, although you'll get much more recording storage on the PC.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    However the guide data on WMC is not as comprehensive as on the Tivo, IMO, and WMC does not have the 28 day rule and will record programs marked as repeats sometimes.

Having said that, the cheaper prices on Cablecard tuners now makes the HTPC a compelling alternative to multiple Tivos, because it's going to cost a lot less and work almost as well.

19. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    On the $500 or so HTPC I tried (including HDHomeRun) the image wasn't nearly as good. The moment you adjusted overscan (so you could use the desktop) the image deteriorated to the point it was a deal breaker. I'm sure I could have invested more money and or more time in finding a better video card but I didn't want to as I would still lose the 1:1 pixel mapping (unless I continually adjusted video resolutions).

I ended up with a $59 TiVo Premiere and OTA for $10 a month... in the past I have always purchased Lifetime and sold the TiVo when I punted. If you upgrade its hard drive you can in most cases break even or make a few bucks... try that when you want to unload your PC. :)

20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm still amazed that you didn't read the caveat at the end of my post where I said WMC PCs aren't for everyone, especially the "average" person. I'm just offering it as a complete solution to cord cutting since that's what the topic seems to be about. Believe me, I understand perfectly what most people want these days. Convenience trumps quality every time. People want what they want and they want it now. It's clear that the philosophy of "good things come to those who wait" doesn't apply to today's generation.

FWIW, I've had as many issues with Tivos over the years as I've had with my HTPCs. Guess which ones are easier to reconcile?

As with a Tivo, it's only going to be as good as the guide data it receives, which is probably from the same source. And yes, I get all the same info a Tivo does, if not more.

I don't know of any DVR or DVR software than can overlap recordings using a single tuner. It would have to record a portion of the same data stream twice to do this. My HTPC has twelve tuners so overlap has never been an issue in my case.

Tinkering is fun for many of us, which is why I got into HTPCs in the first place. I rarely have to do any tinkering these days since I've learned not to make changes to my setup simply for the sake of making changes. It's basically a matter of installing the OS and any support apps you need and making the initial settings. The only difference between setting up an HTPC and installing a virgin backup image on a Tivo is that there are more apps to install and configure so it's going to take considerably longer. Setting up Media Center is no more difficult than setting up your Tivo. You can make it as simple as just installing Windows 7 and a tuner or you can add more apps and features to tailor it to your personal tastes. I prefer the flexibility of HTPCs over Tivos (and Macs too for that matter;)) because there are no limits to what it can do and I don't have to pay anyone service fees to enjoy the hardware and software I own.

Except for the fact that you can't record a darn thing without the Tivo service. There are several vendors that sell pre-configured HTPCs that also provide support. Assassin over at the AVSForums has a complete line of HTPCs that he sells through Amazon. You should be able to get whatever support you need from any of the various hardware vendors if you go the DIY route. Most DIYers don't need outside support because they're smart enough to troubleshoot any issues themselves.

Sounds like you just had driver issues with your graphics card. You shouldn't have to constantly readjust anything once it's been set up. Most of the late model ATI and nVidia cards as well as most of the embedded graphics in newer motherboards and Intel CPUs should be able to display a quality image for HDTV viewing. I've used the HDHomeRun in the past and didn't care for it as much as other tuners I've tried, although it seems to have a huge following over at the AVSForums.