Just installed ...

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by TIVO_YORK99, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    and it is fab!

Only took about twenty minutes to install and get up and working.

I've been a Tivo owner since 2000 but haven't really used it since 2005. As far as I'm concerned this is what we've been waiting for.

It is far better than I thought it would be - everyone seems to say it is really slow?, to me it is very fast. Does it get slower as I've recorded more things?

I've not really played with the apps yet - though the engineer put Harry Potter on while Tivo downloaded the programmes and it was pretty impressive.

All in all, I'm really happy - I'm very happy with the cost as well, its very good value now as I already had broadband and phone with Virgin.

Think I may become a bigger TiVangelist than Carl!

I do have a question though - I found Torchwood on On Demand, but when I try to watch the first episode I can't seem to find out how to play it. I just see a Back button and that's it. Any ideas?

2. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I've never found it as quick as the S1. For example 'My Shows' always takes a few seconds to appear. Haven't noticed it get noticeably slower as it fills up though.

This could be something to do with the BBC throwing their toys out of the pram over on demand content and having it pulled from the guide etc. Try looking through the BBC iPlayer app.

3. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    repeated forced dialups, and sufficient time to fully index (the wait an hour after the indexing time updates in sys info still stands), should get your epg data up to speed.

once you're fully epg'd you should be able to see all that's there to see.

i'd wander over to the VM Tivo forum, just don't get worried - the vast majority of tivi are doing fine though there are a couple of annoyances, the lack of reminders NOT being one of them :)

all said and done, it is what i've/we've been waiting for - enjoy

4. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    The VM forum is rather militant with nasty twats complaining about reminders and the lack of 'red button'. They're all so terribly unhappy with TiVo, wish it was just a V+ with a bigger hard drive but for some inexplicable reason have failed to take VM up on their 28 day 'no quibble' money back guarantee.

Not a nice place all in all.

5. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    As it is at the moment, it is just as fast as any series 1 that I've used.

I'm certainly a happy chappy at the moment - I don't think I'd realise how much I loved the tivo interface and the boop boop's.

I did have a Humax Foxsat which was good (recording the programmes exactly as they start was great), but the menus were very clunky and slow compared to Tivo.

6. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    and there are even people who complain about the 'boops' at the VM forum! :)

7. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    I've just been having a read of the forum, people seriously moan about anything!

Tivo is by far the best PVR there ever has been, and this is a great update to the original machines.

8. dannylau

dannylau New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    People moan because it doesn't work exactly the same way as the V+, so it makes you wonder why they didn't just keep the V+

9. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Just tried Remote Record - works great, I like the layout of it as well.

Haven't found anything I don't like about the box yet, and its still going pretty fast.

10. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    There's an android app for remote record (if you're that way inclined) that works quite well.

11. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Yes, I downloaded that. It is a bit slow on my phone though as its a San Francisco. No search either which is a shame.

12. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Yes... The San Fran is a nice little phone but it is a bit slow. To be honest the app itself isn't the quickest on a fast phone so it might not just be yours.

A search would be nice too but it's still a good start imo.

13. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    So did my installer ... apologized for the "random" sounds ... so I explained that to me it was making exactly the right sounds for a TiVo - I think it was around then that he realized that I knew what a TiVo was and that he could dispense with the initial "this is how it works" demo!

14. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    My installer told me I had to read the manual that he gave me when he first came in. He said that if I didn't read it he wasn't allowed to show me how it works.

Was a good bloke though, he was a bit sick that he didn't live in a VM area himself.

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I can't believe some of the crap that these installers come up with :(

16. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    I don't think its a bad thing though. I know what users are like, you set it up for them and leave, five minutes later they're on the phone complaining about you because it isn't working properly :eek:

He was pretty reluctant to leave without setting up the remote to control the TV but I explained I only use Logitech remotes anyway.

I'm so glad that I went ahead with it though, I can't say how happy I am with it. I don't think I was expecting that much after all the criticism its had. To be honest there is hardly anything wrong with it, only very minor things (maybe I'm just easily pleased).

The catchup/on demand could be better, but no doubt with software updates it will get improved.

How did you get your free one Carl? (not in anyway getting at you, I know it seems like everyone's against you at the moment). Is it because of your Virgin site?, if so I think its deserved and a nice gesture by Virgin.

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well yeah. Of course there's that. But perhaps they could have have said "you read the manual whilst I explain each section in more detail", or something like that.

(I assume the OP wasn't paraphrasing rather than being verbatim.)

Which is precisely why I "defend" it so much.

I wish :D I guess you didn't see my original explanation at the time; so, basically, I attended the Sofa Event along with six or seven others and we all got a "free Tivo and no subs for a year" deal.

18. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you invent that particular pluralization of TiVo yourself, or has it been around for awhile and I just haven't seen it?

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    The former :) ie yes, he made it up. Not bad though ;)

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I was sure I had asked the question of sjp.