Just Installed New HD - How Long Does Booting Take?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Nov 12, 2011.

1. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I just installed a new HD in one of my Series2 Tivos, and I'm getting the "Welcome. Powering Up..." screen, but its been a while, like ten minutes at least. How long does it typically take for the machine to boot up? I'm worried I may have damaged it somehow during the install process (I'm not aware of anything, but I'm still worried...)

ETA: I won't unplug it, and haven't.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Did you "prepare" the hard drive before installing? If so what method(software,etc) did you use to prepare the drive?

Normally when a Tivo is booted, you get the "Welcome..." screen for about 2 minutes. Then you get an "Almost there" screen for another 3 to 5 minutes or so.

Sounds like no Tivo software is being recognized on the drive. In other words, the drive is not being recognized as a "Tivo hard drive".

3. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I didn't prepare it. I bought it from DVR_Dude on ebay, per recommendations here...

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you still have the original hard drive? What led you install the new hard drive?

If the original hard drive was still working, an easy troubleshooting would be is to try re-installing it.

5. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Yes, I still have the original hard drive, although it was starting to have some sporadic problems (freezing during playback and recording) and its ten years old, so I've been playing with fire for quite a while now given its age. (I've contacted the vendor through ebay to get some advice as well, but I may not hear from him until Monday.)

I'm reluctant to pull it out because the install instructions said not to unplug the machine during install, and secondly, because it was hard enough to separate the two connectors (the power cable and the grey hard drive ribbon cable) from the old hard drive in the first place (I didn't damage anything, that I could see, but it was hard to separate them) and in order to reinstall the original HD I would have to pull the two connectors out of the SATA to IDE adapter, then back into the old HD, then back into the converter again for a new drive and I'm concerned I could damage something during that process, pulling things out repeatedly.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Did you get a known compatible IDE/SATA adapter (there's a thread with that info)?

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry then. No way does it just set on the "Welcome..." screen for more than 2 minutes. In this situation, unplugging the Tivo will do no harm. It's really your only alternative.

Did dvrdude supply the adapter? If you provided for your own adapter, was it one of the models proven to work?

8. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    The adapter came with the drive, so I'm assuming DVR_Dude provided me with a compatible one. There's no packaging with it, it came in a little protective sleeve, so no help there, and I've looked at the second one I have -- I bought two new HDs, one for each of my Series 2 Tivos -- and I'm not seeing any markings on it that give me a clue as to where it came from or how I would check and see if its compatible.

9. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Okay, update, I unplugged it for a few minutes, then plugged it in again, and it has advanced to guided setup. Phew. Thank goodness. I'm not very experienced with computers, and I was so scared that I had broken something...

Thank you all so much!

ETA: Interesting. Maybe I've been having problems with my hard drives for years, and just didn't realize it. Neither of them has successfully loaded all the Tivo scheduling information in a single download, or very quickly. I had assumed this was a connection problem, an old "modem" or that the old drive didn't have enough memory to handle a lot of the newer features that have come along in the past ten years. Up til now I've had to reboot it, manually tell it to get the info, wait for it to download as much as it was going to, then reboot, and go through it again. I'd usually have to do it three or four times to get a week's worth of data at a time, and if I let the machine do it on its own, I'd get about a day's worth of data at a time. But the machine just uploaded everything perfectly in about two minutes, so I guess I had more things wrong with the old drives than I realized...

10. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, given what you were seeing it looks like your drive was heading south for quite a while. The other point that I want to make here is that sometimes you need to reboot the Tivo twice in order for it to come up, so if it hangs at the Welcome screen for a really long time the first thing you should try is rebooting it again.