Just installed couble of new to HD questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Watrat, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...
    Good evening,
    Well, after all this time they were able to install my hdtivo and dish. Whew! This is my first experience watching HD and had a couple of questions. When I watch something on espnhd there are bars on the sides of the screen that say espnhd..is that normal or will I ever get full screen? Noticed watching some of my network locals over the antenna that I have 2 antenna versions of a channel..if 7 is my nbc affiliate it lists 7, 7-1, and 7-2 Whats the difference between 7- and 7-2? Watched HDNet and they had a hockey game on and was blown away by the clarity.
    As far as the install goes the installer totally removed my multiswitch from the equation..he ran down 4 lines from the dish..2 now go to my hdtivo and the other two lines go down into my basement where they are connected to the two lines that went up to my bedroom dvr. WOuld it have been better if he used multiswitch or a poered one even? Am noticing on my bedroom dvr that there are white lines now going right to left that weren't there before and the installer had no idea..just curious what might have caused those.

Thanks

Tom

PS. The ratio button on the tivo remote..whats the difference bwteen full and panel?

2. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    (a) Those side bars are provided by ESPN-HD when the video they are showing is not HD. This is normal (and it seems that ESPN-HD is not showing much HD tonight...ESPN2-HD is tonight, though).

(b) 7-1 is most likely your main NBC affiliate. 7-2 is likely WeatherPlus, NBC's 24/7 weather channel.

I'll leave the other questions for others who have the HD-TiVo.

3. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    He installed it correctly.

With D* you get a signal or you don't. A multi-switch or long cable run doesn't change the picture quality at all. What you are describing sounds like a ground loop. Disconnect the sat lines from your receiver and see if the white lines go away. If they do, you have a loop somewhere and you need to track it down.

-Robert

4. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...

Thanks for the reply..what is a ground loop though and how is it tracked down? Does this necessarily mean that the "ground loop" would be coming from the two lines from the dish since the rest of the wires are exactly the same setup as before?

Thanks

Tom

5. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
  6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It sounds nothing like what would be experienced from a ground loop. That would typically cause 60 Hz hum, or bars rolling slowly up the screen. Bars rolling sideways would have to be the product of interference at a much higher frequency than 60 Hz, and so would not manifest due to a ground loop.

What you are describing sounds more like inter-chassis interference, or adjacent-channel cross-modulation.

7. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...

Good evening..could you tell me what that is and how to go about adjusting it? Like I mentioned I never had this issue prior to the new dish upgrade and the removing of the multiswitch that I had the previous 4 years.

Thanks in advance

Tom

PS. Was still wondering if there are any differences between the ota channels that are listed...for my nbc (channel 7) the ota lists 7-1 and 7-2 Are they both HD and why are there two?