Just got tivo installed - 2nd problem Moca wont work....keeps erroring out

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by elite, Mar 25, 2017.

1. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017

Advertisements

After comcast here for 6plus hours and the fckn dumb tivo unit giving horrible feedback the thing wont set up a moca connection so I didnt even try to plug in the Mini yet because I am considering taking this all back because it shoudnt be this hard and I am somewhat technically savvy.

I keep trying - Comcast doesnt know **** and wont support it and Tivo support is closed so I am at whits end.......it fails to create the moca netwowrk.

I did get it running with ethernet but that doesnt help me get my mini working and I would like to do it over coax so I am not on my home network. I Dont know what to do - wish it would work but its not lookng good. I hate calling tivo - i dont often get anyone who knows anything anyway - the resources here are actually better. Sorry to vent - just wasted my entire day with this bs and its not working and its frustrating.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Start by sharing the TiVo model, and the specific error code or symptom indicating MoCA is failing to initialize. (e.g. BOLT and C33)

3. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Bolt 500gb. The error is generic, just says can't complete moca network and tells me to check some c33 help reference. It's not an actual code. Maybe this is a dumb question but I haven't yet plugged in the mini. That doesn't matter does it? At this point I'm trying to go from ethernet to moca on the main unit and run it as the bridge.....Like it said. And the mini would be the client once connected. I'm assuming I need to make the bolt a bridge first?

4. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017

Advertisements

So it's saying it didn't create the moca bridge, but it in fact did? I'm so tired I can't even think straight. I gotta put it to rest and try again tomorrow. Shouldn't be this complicated. Really about to throw it at the wall or return it but I already disconnected the dish, changed service, and wasted my weekend essentially. If that is the problem I still have to figure out how to solve the feedback issue which I posted about seperately.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo's money back guarantee would probably be voided if it appears the device has been dashed against a wall.

elite likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Feedback usually means connections were improperly connected (ex: audio out to Video input)

In your original post, you never mentioned you had dish as your 2nd post did. If you are using the same cables as your dish did, then there might also be DECA to contend with.

Please post your devices, and connections and any other info. Without good info, there is not much others can do to assist.

7. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Got rid of dish, ya. Using a sb6190 modem. Using a Linksys wrt3200 that I think is defective, won't stay online.

From the pole I got new wire. Coming in the house. Split twice. One run to splitter in basement that goes to my modem, the other to my bedroom that's not yet connected. At the TiVo connection it's coming from a splitter they added at their box outside. The only cable not replaced was that one because he said it was good. The other now that I think about it was the run going to the router.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A typical cable/internet setup is like this;

street -> POE filter -> splitter leg --- modem -> router -> ethernet to devices

From Splitter leg -> TVs, Tivo (coax) in various rooms, if tuning adapter used, a splitter (1 leg -> Tivo, other leg -> tuning adapter coax in, coax out not used, use USB)

From a splitter leg -> MoCa adapter coax port -> ethernet to a LAN port on router
    For MoCA, if built-in, no adapter needed. not built-in, needs adapter (coax split, to MoCA input, and Tivo, MoCA ethernet to Tivo Ethernet.

9. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017

Way above my understanding.

I wish i could go back to dish - It shouldnt be this much work and comcast isnt going to help with wiring because they are going to tell me im using the Tivo - Id rather pay more and have it work at this point.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is about as simple as I can get. Also, text can be limiting and I use arrows to show each connection.

I should also note the modem LAN port would go to the WAN port on the router.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try it this way. (Like a cable installer)

1. Coax comes into house from street.
    2. adds POE Filter
    3. adds a 4 way splitter (port says in)
      1. Connects coax between a OUT port to modem
      2. Connects to a TV/Tivo in a room
      3. Connects to a TV/Tivo in another room
      4. Connects to MoCA adapter

12. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Think Comcast will give me a POE and or Moca Adapter? I dont have those...and I Dont think you can buy those locally.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Actually, you can buy them. Online is more available (like Amazon), then a typical store would.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    But he shouldn't need the Moca adapter with the Bolt?

Scott

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, but the router may need it. That is if its not built-in. OR not going to use MoCA at all. (which can ignore it completely.)

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If there is a Comcast store front nearby, call them, tell them you are using a MoCA device and is it possible they can provide you with a MoCA filter, if not, they are readily available online and cheapest on Ebay.
    You seem to be having problems with your sound system, your internet connection, and the MoCA connection on your Tivos. Folks who do best with this stuff often have a fairly high level of technical knowledge and at least a rudimentary understanding of how these things work, and often have done at least a few hours of reading/research especially on areas they are unfamiliar with....this gives them the confidence in themselves to persist even when they run into difficulties. These folks would have known they needed a MoCA filter and made sure the installer used one when they were there.
    Other folks are different.
    EDIT: The SB6190 has a builtin MoCA filter, so none are needed for it.

17. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    I am pretty up on connection and home theater.....but everything is coming at once and so Im annoyed.

Router - just did a hard reset and reflashed with latest firmware - lets hope that works. The reality there is thats more a wireless home connection but its adding to my frustration cause I bought all new hardware.

Moden - being it has a built in filter - are you saying I dont need an additional one, or are you saying I dont need to have the bolt create a bridge? I have comcast coming to replace all wires they didnt, today - should I ask for a moca filter - even though your suggesting it has one at the modem?

The sound thing - the feedback I posted about on another post I hope is bad wiring and or a bad ground. The only last piece thats new to this is the bolt, so maybe the bolt is defective? I just dont believe it is.....

I do have basic knowledge and some confidence here but it all came at once and so its annoying.

Lastly - above someone posted that there is a glitch in the software and the error isnt really an error. Once i go back to the screen where you try to create a bridge it does then say ethernet and moca - is it possible the moca network is complete? I havent unpacked the mini yet so I havent tested but I wanted to get the bolt all situated first.

18. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Just called to activate my bolt. The rep told me I dont even need to enable the moca network. He said itll happen with my setup the way it is. Ethernet and Coax at the bolt - Coax at the mini. He seems to think you dont need to do anything - which I told totally get how the mini would get the signal but if in fact the modem has it built in I guess perhaps that does make sense. Going to try to load it shortly. He said give it 30 min before trying so I will do that and see what happens. If it works Ill still have to figure out the feedback issue but hopefully a better ground or new cable can fix that if comcast ever shows. Also said I MAY need a poe filter - there was a little iffy-ness though, he didnt seem to know.

19. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Hooked up my mini - it works. I selected moca during the setup....im guessing it gets an IP from the network since the main bolt has an ethernet connection. The menu on the bolt says ethernet + moca - not sure if there is glitch like stated above, or it just doesnt need moca all together.

Now to solve the other issue - the feedback. Waiting for comcast to arrive....

Thanks for listening people.....im somewhat done complaining for the moment lol