Just got Tivo HD... a few questions.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mikesown, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mikesown

mikesown New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I just got my Tivo HD installed. The installer from Cablevision was really friendly and helpful(he has a Tivo HD in his home). Basically, here's how the install went

- When the Tivo first started up, it was REALLY slow(I mean molasses slow; it took a full 30 seconds before an up/down press was registered). The installer remarked that this was painfully slow and not what he had seen in the past.

- The Tivo finally started up and he installed the first cablecard(all cablecards were SA "just off the shelf," not wrapped smartcards). There was(and still is) breaking up every 30 seconds or so(part of the picture pixelates).

- The installer put in the second cablecard. Live TV doesn't show the cablecard; it won't record any shows on it. When I do a diagnostic test, I can make out some of the channels, but the picture is so garbled that it is possible to see. The installer swapped the cablecards(put this in slot 1, the other in slot 2), and the same problem occured with the previously working cablecard that is now in slot 2. The installer puts another cablecard in slot 2; this produces the same problem: the picture is impossible to make out.

- We discover that the Tivo is updating(VERY slowly at around 1% every 5 minutes, even over broadband), and he says that either the Tivo is broken or it should clear up once the update completes. I let him go(partly out of pity for him, and partly because I want to go to bed). He says to call him up if we have problems after the update.

My questions are the following:

1. How long will the update take? It's on the last step(57%), and seems to be crawling. Will it be the dreaded 9.1 update?

2. Will the update fix the blocking on my first SA card(which is watchable but annoying)?

3. Will the update fix the non-watchability of cards in slot 2?

4. If I have to return the Tivo, who should I return it to? The retailer who I bought it from(just got it today, from hidef lifestyle), or Tivo? Will Tivo give me the option of a refund if the Tivo doesn't work for the full price of the Tivo plus shipping?

I'm somewhat frustrated, and would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    4. If you need to return the TiVo, you would return it to the retailer you purchased it from.

3. mikesown

mikesown New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Well, the unit updated(to 8.3 I think?), and the cablecards needed to be reauthed. I re-authorized them with my cableco, restarted the Tivo, and both tuners seem to be working. It's prettty damn slow compared to my SD Directv Tivo, but it works.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the grey changing channel(and letterbox bars) to black? Those would look a lot better.

4. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    It should speed up a bit soon as it is done indexing all of the new data, but I also agree that the unit is no way near as fast as a SD standalon or D tv unit. But I will take the trade off for HD :) You should be able to change your grey bars to black within the video settings. Good luck, welcome to the club.

5. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Aye, but the top and bottom bars on SD channels showing widescreen video are kind of grey....