Just got HD digital, and now, no Tivo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wildberrysdeliri, Jul 13, 2007.

1. wildberrysdeliri

wildberrysdeliri New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Bay Area...

Advertisements

we got an HDTV so that means we need comcast digital HD. They came today to install, and we were forced to get their DVR. They disconnected my Tivo and said they don't reinstall Tivo, only their own box. How unfair! I miss my beloved Tivo, but I don't think it can handle or record HDTV. Is that right? This site is a labryenth and I don't know if this topic has been covered. I'm not an expert Tivo user, but I've had it for 3 years. We have a 2004 series 2 40 hr box. any suggestions? I really hate this Comcast DVR.

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The series 2 Tivo will not handle HD broadcasts. However, you could continue to use the S2 for analog stations by splitting the coax cable before the Comcast box and running one coax feed directly to the S2. In most cases this will allow you to watch and/or record channels 2-99 (depending on the analog feed by your local provider).

What do you mean "you were "forced to get their DVR"? You should always have options as to what HD feed you will use. You could use their DVR, their HD Box, Cablecards (if you have a device that supports them), or just un-encrypted HD with direct coax and internal QAM tuner (if your set has one).

If you enjoy Tivo, your best option would be the Series 3, which will provide the Tivo solution for HD.

3. wildberrysdeliri

Jul 13, 2007
    Bay Area...
    The HD reciever box is a DVR. Thats the only option presented to get HD from comcast. They said we could split the cable and use Tivo for the lower channels.Thanks

4. wildberrysdeliri

Jul 13, 2007
    Bay Area...
    there is no tuner in our set, btw. I thought we would get an HD Box but they claim that the DVR is the only thing they offer. I'm mad they are trying to usurp Tivo, but for now, I need it to record any HDTV (as well as decode, since I couldn't get a box, and I asked)

5. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY

Advertisements

If you're really that put out, that's your only option for recording HD outside of Comcast's DVR, but it won't be cheap. Or you can wait to see if Comcast offers integrated TiVo DVRs in your area.

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Is your comcast HD DVR a Motorola box? If so, "soon" Comcast will start rolling out a TiVo software upgrade to those that want to pay a bit more (price TBD). Once this occurs, you will have TiVo functionality on that dual tuner Comcast box.

But if I had my druthers, I would grab a series 3 if the cost works for you.

7. wildberrysdeliri

Jul 13, 2007
    Bay Area...
    oh well, thanks

8. wildberrysdeliri

Jul 13, 2007
    Bay Area...
    i love tivo, but not $800 worth (plus a monthly fee)! Especially when i have a free 120 hr hd dvr.

9. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Told ya. ;)

You might think 120 hrs. sounds like a lot, but that's for SD programming, HD takes up a lot more room. My advice would be to buy the coaxial splitter, use your TiVo for SD programming and the Comcast DVR for HD.

10. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    But you state that you hate the Comcast DVR. Can you tell me why you hate it? I am facing a change like this soon b/c my hubby is stuck on wanting HD. What is it? The interface? You just used to TiVo? What is lacking, if you'd be so kind to answer I'd appreciate it-thanks and welcome to the labyrinth. I think the search feature works really well (top half of screen on the right, a drop down menu) if you need to look up something really specific. Also, lots of the techies (not all) on this board seem to come out after midnight...you might get some new ideas then.
    Dawny

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    And thats the problem Tivo faces.

Yes Tivo is great, but paying $800 for a Series 3, then a Monthly Fee is pretty hard to justify when you can get a Free HD DVR from your Cable Provider. Sure it does not have the Tivo Software (maybe soon in some cases it may) but come on now, $800 and a Monthly charge for the Tivo interface?

12. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Irrelevant. Tivo's have a tuner and some have two tuners.