Just got FIOS and HATE the UI

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GTBill, Jul 25, 2009.

1. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...

Advertisements

Wife and I loved our s2 tivo. great features etc. the fios ui sucks. No show dates among many other annoyances. the fios salesman told us the dvr would hold 80 hours of hi def (lie... it's 17 hours). anyway, want to get a tivo HD unit.

Q's: Just signed a verizon contract (I guess) for their double play (tv and internet). It says if we cut back on services they will charge more. I want to dump their dvr and get a new hd tivo. does anyone know if verizon will have a cow? We'd still have their double play just not their crappy dvr. Thanks.

2. kika2000

kika2000 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    NYC
    I don't have FIOS, but with my Time Warner account, I have to keep at least one of their boxes in order to be eligible for my "package". If I don't, my channels become a la carte - and much more expensive.
    Some people keep a basic box just to have access to On Demand, which you will lose with Tivo. At least you can save the extra money they charge you for the DVR.

3. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Being you "Just" got fios you have 15 days(NY area) to change your mind.
    my guess is that if you change any thing on your "promo" package they will won't have a cow, but they will make you pay.
    Why not call them and find out?
    You posted in another thread with questions on how to hook up your S2 to Verizon, did you try the suggestions?. If you hook it up as suggested you will get on the TIVO all the features you once have with your old ISP.
    HTH
    JerryR

4. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Call Verizon and ask if the price is contingent on keeping their DVR. They know - we don't.

5. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...

Advertisements

Sorry, I new this was a dicey Q here. I haven't tried to hook up the s2 because I can't fine the IR Blaster (either one. Got one and bought another).

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Verizon contracts are for TV service, not equipment rental. There should be no problem with returning the DVR.

7. KLINK

KLINK Member

Aug 17, 2004
    I signed up with Verizon in March. I originally asked for two Verizon boxes. Before the install I found out that I could use TivoHD boxes with fios. I canceled the Verizon boxes before the install. There was no extra charge for the change.

You will need cable cards for you TivoHD boxes. There will be a monthly charge for the cards, but it is not nearly as much as the fee for the verizon boxes.

8. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Sweet! That sounds great because I just came up with the money for a Tivo HD (sort of a garage sale). Can't wait. Thanks for all your help.