Just got a Pioneer DVR-810H-S - help!

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Alexis997, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Alexis997

Alexis997 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Berkeley, Ca
    Hi,

I have a few other TiVos that I bought new (meaning they were fresh & clean :)) and just got this one from someone not using it. I was going to give it to my parents.. I was told it works fine, but is "stuck" in the downloading information mode. When I plugged it in, it started making this weird alarm-type noise, until I plugged a phone cord in. Then the noise went away, but nothing is happening. The screen says "Welcome. Powering Up..", and I can hear the fan going, but that's it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Alexis

2. BamCat

BamCat New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    It sounds like it could be a bad hard drive. I also have an 810, which I love. Its hard drive went bad about four years ago, and I replaced it with one from Weaknees (it's easy to do yourself with their instructions). Here's a link to their troubleshooting page. Also, if you call them, they are extremely helpful. Good luck.

http://www.weaknees.com/repair.php

3. robos965

robos965 New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I had the same problem and it was the hard drive

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    It does sound like a hard drive problem. But, it also might be a DVD stuck in the player. I've had this happen a couple times. If the TiVo reboots with a DVD or other disc in the player, the TiVo will try to boot from that disc. (Which is silly, really.) And it will get stuck in the "Almost there" screen.

You can manually eject the DVD tray with a straightened out paper clip. There is a hole about 1 inch from the left side of the tray, under the light bar. If you slide the paper clip along the bottom of the light bar, you will feel the hole. Push the paper clip into the hole, it will go in about 3/4 of an inch or so. You'll encounter some resistance, just push a little harder. The tray should pop open. Be careful not to damage the tray!

If you need an image, I can send you one. Send me a Private Message (PM) with your email address. I'll send you a link to place you can download the image. It's big, about 250MB.

Good luck,
    robomeister

5. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I'm having a similar problem. I picked up my Pioneer DVR-810h recently, and I've been trying to get it going. It starts up with the two lights flashing once (less than a second duration), then the welcome screen appears on the TV (nothing on the display beneath the DVD drive), and after a few hours, the "Almost there" screen pops up and "Power On" shows up beneath the DVD. I learned where the manual release for the DVD drive was and checked for a stuck DVD (none) and even tried replacing out the HD with another known good one- and then learned the OS was on the hard drive. I also tried short-stacking (removed the DVD and Hard drive and booted the unit), with no change in symptoms. I think the voltages are good- that is the one thing I didn't check while I had it open.

I think the 80Gb that came in it might still be good, but don't know for sure. Would it be possible to get an ISO image to see if I can re-install the OS for this unit? Is it possible to do that through the front panel or in the unit itself, or will I have to set up a computer to do that (this system I'm using now is rather complex, with multiple drives and other hardware- and I don't want to risk having any problems)?

Finally, when I got the unit and after I brought it home, I discovered that the remote control with it was the wrong one (for another brand entirely). Is it possible to do diagnostics/repair stuff through the front panel buttons, or would I be able to use one of my programmable remote controls for that (I have a URC 8810 and one that came with our cable box)?

I'm on a very limited budget here (long story- but unemployed while having cable because of my wife's part-time job), so I cannot afford to spend money to buy another hard drive (if this one is bad, I will try to get one in trade). Ditto for a remote control. I am rather technically competent, so I can do a lot inside the box that most people wouldn't be able to consider.

6. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    redheart,

It does sound like you have a bad software load on your TiVo.

It is possible to put a fresh copy of the software onto the drive, but you'll have to remove the drive from the TiVo and attach it to your computer. You can attach it to one of your IDE drive chains, or by using an external hard drive case, or by using an IDE to USB converter cable. I use the software from mfslive.org all the time to upgrade my TiVos. My favorite is WinMFS, because most of the work is done for you, all you have to do is choose the right hard drives.

I can provide you with a clean software image for your Pioneer 810H, just PM me your email address so I can send it to you via DropSend.

Regarding the remote, you can use any TiVo remote to command the unit. Or you can use a programmable one, too. Since the Pioneer TiVos also have a DVD writer/player in it, the offical Pioneer TiVo remote has extra buttons on it, but I don't use them very often, it at all.

Let me know if you need any more pointers on getting your Pioneer TiVo working again.

robomeister

7. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I just tried to PM you, and got a message that I need to do 5 posts before I can. I'm going to ask a couple of questions in separate posts.

8. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I run Linux on my computers, and I'm not sure how the ISO file is burned to the hard drive. Is there special software (hopefully an open-source linux version available) that I need to use, or do I burn it to a CD and then run the CD?

9. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Also, the HD was set for Cable Select. Is that the normal setting for these units?

10. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Finally, if I ever need to do the diagnostics stuff (supposedly by using the pause button on the remote)- is there any other way to activate it? Maybe by one of the front panel buttons?

11. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    redheart,

I'm sending you a WinMFS compatible image for the Pioneer TiVo as I type this. I'll try to answer your questions as you asked them.

You can do all of the restoration stuff in Linux, but you'll need to download a ISO for a boot CD. The best one I know of is the MFSLive Boot CD from mfslive.org. You download the ISO, then burn it to a CD using a ISO burning routine. Then you boot the computer with the CD to do all the commands to restore the image to your hard drive. You won't be able to use the image I sent you, as it is not compatible with the Linux Boot CD. I will need to create a different image.

Cable Select is the normal setting for the drives in the Pioneers. And I think that is true for most single hard drive Series2 TiVos. The one exception I can think of is the Sony SVR-3000.

If you are referring to the KickStart codes, you can't do them with the panels buttons. You will need a TiVo remote to effectively use the Pioneer. If you need one, try ebay or if you ask real nice, I might have an extra generic TiVo remote. And to be honest, I've never used the Kick Start routines on any of my TiVos. I can never get the timing right, and it is really tricky on the Pioneers, because they use a different light sequence than the standard TiVos.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

12. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    If you have the other image, that would be nice. For some reason, I was having problems downloading the WinMFS program- couldn't get the register link to work.

I was able to download the Linux version without any problems.

13. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Another quick question- I have a USB wireless adapter, and would like to use that instead of the phone lines. Can the 810h be made to work with a wireless USB adapter?

14. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Yes, it can use a wireless USB adapter, but it has to be on the official approved list of adapters. The only way to know for sure that it works is to plug it into the TiVo and see if the TiVo recognizes it.

Good luck,
    robomeister

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
  16. santaman

santaman New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Have you tried using a IDE to SATA adapter with the 810h? was thinking about trying it. I need to replace the existing HD as it is dead.

17. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    santaman,

As a matter of fact, I have been experimenting with SATA -> IDE converters, with interesting results. You need to find one with the JM20330 chip on it. I've found a few ebay sellers that have them. The chip is critical, because the TiVo won't recognize many, if any, other chipsets for some reason.

Also, you will need to stay away from the so called Green drives. They use a technology called Intellipark that is supposed to save energy somehow. The TiVos don't like this and most fail to do soft reboots. Some Series2 TiVos (the Pioneers are Series2) fail to boot with Green drives. I know, because I tried one and it didn't work.

I got some adapters from ebay seller nisoutlet, and they work great. I've been putting 640GB drives in my Pioneers (good price point for me).

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

18. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Since I requested help, we've gone through some rather bad things that prevented me from trying to fix the DVR (serious illness and death in family, bad crash, and job loss). Would it be possible to get that DVR disk image (preferrably in a Linux format, but I can also boot into Wxp)?

Thanks!

19. redheart

redheart New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    GOT IT GOING!!!

The disk image did the job, although I had a couple of funny glitches after I fired it up for the first time. When I first fired it up and tried to erase all, it blanked for a second, went back to the power-up screen and sat there for about five minutes before going on (I figured it would take quite a while), and then when I tried to do the setup, it took nearly an hour and then the thing wouldn't work right (said that there was an error and I think at one point said that I had to do a delete all). I tried delete all again, this time it took over 30 minutes and the setup took less than 25 (and it worked).

QUESTIONS: I hooked it up and was only able to tune to channel 99 on the cable, but there are stations above 100 that we watch. Is there a way to get those channels? I understand this unit receives Digital, but does it also receive HD? (Although with our TV we can't really watch HD signals.)

20. Druid_Faith

Druid_Faith New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    required post: Am having the same problem, and I am pretty sure it is the HD going south (gone south at this time) I am pretty sure because something similar happened with the original drive in the machine.
    Thanks,
    Druid_Faith