Just got a phone call from 408-519-9100

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by glanois, Jun 29, 2010.

1. glanois

glanois New Member

Dec 21, 2001

Advertisements

...and I did not take the call, since it was not a number I recognized.

I googled the number, and found that is the main TiVo corporate offices.

Oh, how I wish I answered that call!

Anyone have any idea what they wanted?

Are they direct marketing?

Recently, one of my TiVos became unplugged from the network for a month, and TiVo sent me an email wondering if since I wasn't apparently using that unit any longer if I'd be interested in upgrading to an HD model.

So I wonder if they're doing a callout.

Well, I added them to my address book, and I'll be darn sure to answer if they call back!

-G

2. moolman

moolman New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    They were calling to give you a free Premiere XL with Lifetime, too bad you missed a call, that's why you answer all phone calls in case telemarketers, stalkers, or Tivo calls you.

3. reubanks

reubanks Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I actually answered when they called me right after you. I am getting a beta of the Lifetime Premiere XL+ with dual 2TB internal SSD drives.:D

All kidding aside, it could have been a telemarketer using a spoofed phone number. I get calls that show "Music Center" in Caller ID all the time. The scum-meisters finally figured out how to spoof Caller ID using VoIP.

Randy

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably something to do with this.

Dan

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

....and how did you NOT notice this? :confused:

6. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Did you have any open escalated support cases with us? Have you answered any surveys saying "please contact me"?

We don't do any direct marketing from our corporate offices.

7. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I get calls for someone named Anita and it's always about buying medication. One time the phone number had my area code and said US Gov't. So I figured I'd better answer it. It was Mr. Medication asking for Anita! I filed a complaint with the national do not call list registry and they did...nothing.

Instead of blocking numbers, the VOIP providers should give you all the space you need to have a white list of phone numbers that you allow. Everyone else gets disconnected. Most people wouldn't have that many numbers anyway.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but this is a topic that really pi$$e$ me off.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I never pick up my phone if I don't recognize the number or it says number unavailable, out of area, it's a toll-free number, etc. Instead, I have a message on my machine indicating that I'm either unavailable or I'm screening the calls and that I won't pick up for the aforementioned reasons. I indicate that if it's important to leave me a message and I will call them back. The vast majority of messages I receive are automated messages from telemarketers or charities asking for donations.

Life is far less stressful now that I don't have to be rude to telemarketers or people asking for donations. It also provides enough doubt for any would-be home invaders/burglers checking to see if I'm home so they can ransack the place while I'm out.

9. glanois

glanois New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    1. No I don't. Nope.

2. Oh, yes you do. You called me back today to direct market a Premiere or Premiere XL to me with 50% off lifetime service.

I did my homework and now I understand the whole MCard/TA/SVD rigamarole. Yay, I'm REALLY looking forward to that! I'm sure all those parts will play together PERFECTLY.

10. glanois

glanois New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Long story, but yes, I take your point.

11. Rowsdower

Rowsdower The Final Sacrifice

Dec 10, 2002
    From the Federal Trade Commission website:

Do not call complaints will be entered into the FTCÂ’s Consumer Sentinel system, a secure online database available to more than 1,000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies. While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint will help us investigate the company and could lead to law enforcement action.

12. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    They sent me an email that said nothing was going to be done with my complaint. Even though the called ID said "US Gov't." You think they would have done something with that!

13. Rowsdower

Rowsdower The Final Sacrifice

Dec 10, 2002
    Do you still have the e-mail (from which to quote the exact wording)? I would expect it to state something along the lines of "the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems" (as noted on the website).

14. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    No. It was a while ago. I understand that that they will do nothing with individual complaints. However, since I still get calls from the same people asking for Anita about buying medication, I'm pretty sure the government hasn't done anything at all.

15. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Can you clarify? This is not a complaint about TiVo, right?