Just got a new HDTV, tivo doesn't look the same.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Shanezam203, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007

Advertisements

Hi All, I have been using my Tivo Lifetime for the last 2 years and I LOVE it.
    In other rooms, I have Comcast DVR's (FREE from comcast) and I love my Single Tuner Tivo 100 times better. :)

I bought a new 42" Samsung HD TV and I have my Tivo in Input 1, and my Comcast HD Cable Box in Input 2 (for HD and HBO) and the picture isn't as clear as it was on even my 24" tv with the Tivo.

I went through the channels 0-99 and when I have the Tivo on with my new TV, the picture is not as crisp. The color isn't like it should, and the picutre just isnt how I am used to. And this TV is twice the size and 6 years newer technology, so I was confused.

When I go to Input 2, my Comcast DVR, even channels 1-99 that is Digital, but not HD look PERFECT on the new TV. Then the HD channels look even better, but that is HD.

My question is why does my TIVO not act as a digital cable box channels 1-99 with my new Samsung TV, and get as clear and crisp of a picture on this new TV but the Comcast Digital Cable box does?

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    SD cable will never look better on an HDTV than on an old CRT

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Because you have a Tivo Series 2 box (I suspect), which is an analog box and shows analog version of 1-99.

Sounds like your cable service is using ADS, so a digital box will show the digital versions of 1-99.

If you want Tivo+digital, get a new TivoHD box and use it in place of your cable box.

4. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    yeah, that's what it looks like. It is a Series 2 Tivo box, with Lifetime.

Using it on a Standard TV, it looked 100%. Now using the same box on an HDTV looks BAD.

So what are my options if I want the TIVO interface, but Comcast Digital Cable picture?

Plug them into eachother, then to the TV?

Cable from the WALL, to Digital Cable Box IN, Cable box OUT to Tivo Cable IN, then Tivo RCA out to TV input 1?

Then would I get a Digital Cable picture, and channels over 100, or is the Tivo still capped at 99?

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

Mostly because the HDTV will be a lot bigger.

6. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Yeah, I went from a 24" to a 42".

Why does it look so poorly on the 42"?

Do I have any options besides buy the HD tivo box for $300 and pay $6 a month?

7. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's because the picture has been blown up 500% without any increase in the actual picture detail. It's like when you look at a picture on the computer. It looks great, but if you zoom in enough, all you can see is an unidentifiable blob.

8. TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    I'd wait, the price on the new TiVoHD will come down.

9. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I think that's what I will do.

Maybe around the holiday's it will come down to $200, who knows.

I was just curious to know why it looked better on the TV from Best Buy for $200, than the TV for $1250.

NOW I know. The Series 2 Tivo box I have is Analog, the new HDTV I have suggests I run at least a Digital Cable input or higher.

I will wait for the HD Tivo box to come down some.

Thanks guys,
    Shane

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    All Series 2's are Analog. Your only option for HD is the Series 3, TivoHD or as you put it the Crappy Cable Company Ones. :D

11. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I don't care about HD, I just want a good picture on 1-99 and the Tivo interface.

Can I plug a digital cable box in from Comcast, into the Tivo, then to the TV?

Cable IN ---> from the wall to the Comcast DVR IN
    Comcast Digital Cable Box ---> RF Out to Tivo Cable IN
    Tivo --> Video OUT to the Input 1 on TV

I don't need HD, but then will my 1-99 be clear?
    I want the picture to be clear, and the TIVO interface not the Comcast DVR.
    :up: Shane

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It is of course your money. But remember you can wait and wait for a lower price, and never really know when that is. Will it be even lower in six more months? Or do you just do it, to get the joy of a TiVo interface? This is why I bought the original S3 for $650 last year. I could have waited until the rebate was offered this spring, but that would have meant six more months of the pain of using the SA8300HD. And I didn't know if there would be a rebate.

The waiting game in consumer electronics is a double edged sword.

It's not free. If you think it is, ask them for five more, and see if your cable bill changes. It will. :eek:

13. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    On my bill they are $6.99 and there is a credit right after for $6.00 so they are $0.99. They matched an offer DISH had in my neighborhood.

Even being 99 cents, I would RATHER the Tivo Series 2 I have in my room.
    :cool: Shane

14. TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    Yeah, but I would never buy something within the first couple months of its launch. It's almost guaranteed to come down before Christmas.

15. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I am not concerned with HD, I just want my Series 2 Tivo to look good on my new 42" TV.

Can I purchase a Digital Cable Box anywhere to initiate Cable IN, then go to my Tivo's Cable IN and get a Digital Picture?

I just want channels 1-70 digital/ crisp.

Thanks,
    Shane

16. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    This is the problem. And yes we are all well aware you are not concerned with HD.

Your TV: New 42" Samsung HD TV (Does SD but HD is best)
    Your Tivo Unit: Series 2 Tivo (Does not do HD at all. Only Analog)

You can get a Digital Cable box not a Problem. If you ran it straight to your TV (NO TIVO) you would have a Crisp Digital Picture on your TV.

BUT, using your Tivo, the Series 2 takes the Digital Picture from your Cable Box, and changes it to ANALOG, then puts the ANALOG picture out to your TV. Even tho your TV is HD, it does not upscale the Picture back to HD, the picture stays as ANALOG.

That is what people have been trying to tell you.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have a test, and trust me, once you do it, you'll see what we're saying.

Take the Tivo out of the equation, plug the cable direct into the TV, that is the best picture you can get on ch 1-99. Determine is that an acceptable image?

Then plug an antenna into the TV, pick a real HD signal, at that point when you've seen an HD picture, you'll may never be able to watch an SD Tivo again.

Mind you these are just my personal experiences, but I went from a 32" CRT to a 42" Plasma, and the differences were instantaneous, I used a CableCo HD DVR for a year until the S3 came out.

While the S2 is a great unit, it's SD, it will always be SD, and SD will never look anything better then "fair" on a 42" HD set (once again, IMNSHO)

Everyone is pointing you the same way, and its why the set manufacturers are so adamant in their documentation, if you want a great picture, you want an HD source. You're seeing what they're trying to avoid, poor pictures on expensive new sets.

An S3 or TivoHD with CableCARD (and the cableco HD DVR) will take advantage of the fact that many analog stations have a digital simulcast, and they grab those instead, but the S2 will never have access to that stream, they need to grab the analog output from the cable box.

Folks on the forum are all saying the same thing, it's not a conspiracy to get you into a more expensive DVR, nor do we get $5 for everyone we recruit,(lordy that would pay the mortgage quickly) it's because most of us have been where you are, and we had to learn the hard way, we're just trying to help you not go through the mistakes and problems we did.

Diane

18. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Look above. Diane pointed it out very nicely :D

19. hardmusicfanatic

hardmusicfanatic New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greenville, NC
    I have a 56" JVC HDTV and I ran into the same problem with my Dual Tuner Tivo. I changed to monster cables instead of the standard A/V cables. I have a monster S-Video and monster audio L & R cables. I also changed the color to "warm aspect" on my menu on my JVC. Made a world of Difference.

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The simple answer is - get a Tivo HD (or S3) box with cable cards, use an HDMI or composite cables from the THD to your TV.

Every other option will yield an inferior picture.