Just got a Netflix subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by plazman30, Apr 24, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    From what I am gathering, there is no way to really search for Netflix content on TiVo. I tried to use the TiVo search and had a lot of problems. Am I supposed to use the site and just add stuff to my Instant Queue?

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    TiVo's Search will bring up content from NetFlix. With the HDUI, you can select the "Options" button and choose "Watch Now" and "Free" to get NetFlix. With the Beta Search on S3/HD you might not be able to filter on those, but you still can find NetFlix content.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    In addition, I've also removed Amazon and Blockbuster from the VOD selection to filter out false positives if also searching for HD content. If either of those "PPV" providers have an HD version of a show/movie while Netflix only has an SD version, the show/movie will still show up in the results.

4. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I could swear I saw stuff on the Netflix website I couldn't find using the Premiere search.

Now, here is the bigger dilemma. I have 2 small kids, so I should probably turn parental controls on with Netflix. But to do that, I need to go back to the SDUI. If I go back to the SDUI, I lose the ability to search Netflix...

Very annoying.

5. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Add the title(s) here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=459456

Strange. My Series 3 gives the ability to choose between TiVo Search and Swivel Search, but the Premiere doesn't have that option in the SDUI...

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Switching between the SDUI and the HDUI is relatively quick and painless. Also, it is fairly hard for a youngster to find.

Simply stay in the SDUI unless you want to use the search function to get NetFlix content.

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    To be 100% honest, I always use the Netflix site and put stuff in my instant queue. It's just less headaches that way.

Here's hoping Tivo updates the ancient Netflix client... someday... but I doubt that unless they're making cold hard cash paid immediately.

Personally, though, the Netflix site works fine when I don't want to just use the Wii. I should say, though, that we use the Wii whenever we need subtitles, which is a good bit of the time. Simple enough for everyone else, but for Tivo it's mind-bogglingly difficult. :D

8. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Since the Wii uses a different stream than TiVo, it's possible that Netflix hasn't embedded closed captioning or subtitles to TiVo's compatible content. An updated Netflix app on TiVo would still not fix that Netflix deficiency.

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Conversations with Netflix executive team support have been decidedly firm that Tivo isn't updating their app, so Netflix can't do anything for them. The ball is in Tivo's court, is what the Netflix executive office seems to indicate.

It's more or less irrelevant to me, since I have both options available, but I really wish my percentage use could swing back in Tivo's favor a little bit! ;)

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It does make some sense to not update the Netflix app. TiVo wants you to use the integrated search to find shows which when it works it works great.

I do admit TiVo needs to add more Netflix specific search options to the search though if they aren't going to update the app. I would love to be able to search Netflix HD or Netflix HD Movie and only see HD movies and only see a list of HD instant watch content for example.

I think this is just one of those things TiVo tends to miss the boat on though. They seem to be ok with doing things that become easier if you use other tools from other devices or sites rather than incorporating it so that I shouldn't need to go elsewhere for the info.

11. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Agreed, TiVo needs to forget about "the app" as anything other than a way to launch the stream. Improvements to the main UI benefit customers for all content, not just Netflix, so that's where the effort should go.

Which brings us back to the fundamental problem, which is that TiVo's progress has passed glacial on the slow progress scale and is headed into Duke Nukem territory.