Just for Laughs

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mtnagel, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH

Advertisements

Anyone watch? I was a little disappointed. The commercials make it look a lot funnier than it was. I see from Futon Critic that it airs in lots of countries and on airplanes, so I guess that explains the lack of dialogue, but that made it confusing in certain parts. Like the bride one. She was talking to the person, but since you can't hear what she says, you don't know how she got him to go along. I guess I'll give it another shot because I was LMAO at certain parts, but bored with others.

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    I catch it on BBC America sometimes. Its pretty funny.

3. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you talking about JFL? Or JFL: Gags? The gags are filmed in and around Montreal, mostly. A lot of the pranks are pulled in French, which is probably why they don't bother with the audio. The non-gags shows have clips of comics from the Montreal JFL Festival, and is mostly standup routines, with a few bits that are not traditional comedy in the North American sense -- the acts are from all over the world. To really get into it, though, you have to go to Montreal and see one of the shows live.

4. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm talking about this show that just aired on ABC last night. Canada would make sense though. At first I figured they were filmed somewhere in Europe, hence no audio, but I figured, by the cars and by the looks of the people that it was filmed in America, but Canada would look pretty similar.

5. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California

Advertisements

They took yet another foreign show and made an "American" version. Especially ridiculous considering that the original show was designed so that people from any country could understand it. :rolleyes:

The original wasn't exactly broken and actually did a much better job of "explaining" things at the beginning of each piece. Many of the things they did were recycled from the original show, but the execution wasn't quite as good.

Finally, the TV execs apparently think U.S. audiences are too stupid to understand what's going on without a host, although I'll concede that the little animated green guy pushing big red buttons and zooming in and out of three screens was silly. Still better than the lame host, though.

6. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    I watched... there were a couple of the skits that made me laugh. The "blind guy" - was too funny.

7. cpalma

cpalma New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Massachusetts
    that's one hour of my life I'll never get back! Blech!!

8. Eddie501

Eddie501 Member

Jun 4, 2004
    The canned laugh track alone was enough to make me cringe. I guess we're too dumb to know what's funny unless we hear other people laughing.

9. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The second clip is definitely from the Canadian one -- the guy asking for his picture to be taken with his g/f is a regular. The first clip -- I did not recognize the two people involved in the set up. In the original show they have background music (much as they often do with AFV).

It's not a new idea -- Allen Funt did it for years with Candid Camera. And I would not be surprised if his idea wasn't original either.

Still, with the exception of the old guy showing his butt off in a few clips (I'm sure you won't see *those* on ABC) it's a show I can watch with my 10 and 9 year olds (the 4-year-olds enjoy it, too).

10. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    This didn't look "Americanized" to me. I think it's straight from the Canadian version. They used a map of Longueuil for one bit, which is in Quebec. And many signs in the background are in French.

This show is horrendously bad, though.

11. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Doesn't anybody think that a Canadian version of a British Show which itself is a modern version of the US show Candid Camera as a little weird?

12. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    No way this was filmed in the US, for whomever said they made an Americanized version. Pretty easy to tell with license plates and the rest.

I found some bits of the first one mildly amusing. The second one less so, although probably a laugh or two.

13. Sherminator

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Correction:

Doesn't anybody think that ABC airing an Americanized version of the Canadian show, popularized by the British version being aired on BBC America, which in itself is just a modern remake of Candid Camera as a little sad?

14. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    In all fairness to the show, you aren't getting any of them back.

15. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    When I said "Americanized" I didn't mean they necessarily filmed it here, only that they seemed to have messed with the format (like adding the useless host guy) and did things over again for no good reason. My guess was that they did it in some attempt to cater to a different audience.

The version that they've been showing on BBCA containing the bits filmed in the UK appears to have been produced or co-produced by a Canadian company, based on the end credits.

16. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006

the Canadian version is not based on any british show

17. Sherminator

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Did you not read my correction?

18. Sherminator

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Just watching this now, they are also showing some clips from the British version (well I saw some right hand drive vehicles with Northern Irish registration plates.)

19. betativoII

betativoII Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I first saw this while visiting family in Newfoundland a few years ago. Couldn't stand it then, and can't stand it now.

There was one that just about gave a woman a coronary....not fun.

Hubby is in the living room as we speak, giggling away. :rolleyes: :)

20. Fraser+Dief

Fraser+Dief New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Otttawa, Canada
    This is good in small doses. Every once in a while I'll catch five or ten minutes of filler when a hockey game goes overtime or something. That's enough for one or two routines.

The bits where they get passers by to be good samaritans are the best. I remember one bit where a blind guy was asking folks to show his guide dog a map so he could figure out which streets to take... And all these guys are trying desperately to get the dog to concentrate on the map, but for some reason, he just wasn't overly interested. :D