Just bought two Premieres, when to upgrade HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Dr Strangelove, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Dr Strangelove

Dr Strangelove New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    hi Guys,

Just took advantage of the lifetime promotion on the Tivo website for two Premieres. My question is one of when to upgrade the hard drive? I will need to install new cable cards in both units and want to upgrade to 2TB each.

Should I get the Premiere working first and then replace the hard drive or replace the drive immediately and then get the cable cards set up?

Thoughts?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would wait until you have passed the 30 day full exchange warranty first, just to be sure your TiVos work correctly.

Set up your Tivos and get the cablecards paired. IIRC, when you upgrade using the JMFS software, your cable card pairing will be copied to the new hard drive, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My personal view is after I get the CableCARD set up and data working properly with guide info, but BEFORE I record anything, that's when I pull the drive and JMFS it to the bigger one.

Warranty isn't an issue, if I have the OEM drive I can always put it back to troubleshoot.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Would you still think that if you were the guy(op) in this thread?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=476131

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You're implying this would have happened even if he didn't upgrade the drive? Without seeing the upgrade I don't know if we can make that call.

The way I read the original post he pulled the plug 15 minutes into the GSOD. I can't say that caused the problem but it wasn't a good thing to do. I know we have to sometimes pull the plug but power supplies won't like constant plug pulling.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And his machine failed OUT of warranty, I fail to see the comparison.

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Just the fact that the Tivo rep immediately "noted" that the original drive had been changed. They would have seen that whether or not the drive was in warranty. Often, whether the Tivo is in warranty or not, Tivo will relace the unit, albeit sometimes for various fees.

Certainly it would be grounds to refuse service if something went wrong with a newer unit, whether or not known to be drive related.

Certainly gave that poster a concern.

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Really doesn't matter whether or not his problems were related to the upgrade. If his machine were under warranty, he would have violated it no matter what the issue was. It would be grounds for Tivo not to honor the warranty.

9. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have always waited until after the warranty expired.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'm in the same boat as I just got a Premiere under that 3-day deal. As I understand it the 30 days is to cancel the whole deal (including the lifetime subscription) with the full parts and labor coverage extending to 90 days. I've elected to wait the 90 days