JUST BOUGHT the official TiVo Wireless G Adapter!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ddrultramix, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I JUST BOUGHT the official TiVo Wireless G Adapter. I bought it cause im sick of trying to get all these other adapters working with the Tivo. Is there ANYTHING I should know about the TiVo Wireless G Adapter before it gets here? I ordered it with 1 day business shipping. Has anyone ordered it at that shipping speed? If so, how long did it take total?

2. MikeInOr

MikeInOr New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I did the same. Tried three different USB wireless adapters (the local Fry's has a generous return policy :) and none were recognized. Could not find any of the officially supported adapters locally so I bit the bullet Monday. I also upgraded to two day air. It's now Friday and the Fedex site says they picked it up last night but since it was 2-day they will no doubt hold onto it until next Tues......I hope it works!

3. catlvr4

catlvr4 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    let us know how it works once you have it up and running. I am thinking of doing this also, cuz i don't want to go to any of the problems w/ other wireless adaptors. does anybody know if you can buy this in the stores, like best buy and CC?
    thanks
    deb

4. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    It isn't available retail, only directly from Tivo.
    I ordered two with one day shipping over the weekend. I hope they ship today and I get them tomorrow.

To the OP, the only thing special you may need to do is make sure your unit has the latest software.

5. MikeInOr

MikeInOr New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Mine finally arrived this AM. Plugged it in and it was recognized! My home wireless network is fairly simple: Cicso AP340 access point pugged into a netgear router. On my AP I disable SSID broadcasts and use a 128-bit WEP key. No matter how I configured networking on the TIVO it would not connect to the AP! Fortunately, my neighbor has his unsecured AP running and I was able to connect to it! Seeing that the adapter really could connect I went back to the Cisco config and turned off WEP. TIVO then connected! Turned WEP back on the CISCO and again the TIVO would not connect. So, fortuately I have an old IBM access point. I configured it (different SSID, same WEP) and the TIVO is happily connected.
    Bottom line is that the TIVO WILL NOT connect to a CISCO AP340 with WEP enabled. I ordered a priority dowload of TIVO s/w release 7.2.1a. We'll see if that makes a difference..