Just a Rant - GRRRrrrr

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoPhish, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dec 30, 2005 #1 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've been a TiVo owner a long time... longer than most. I had one of the first original TiVo Series 1 units to hit the market (and the darn thing is still running like a champ - mom now has it).

I'm a huge fan. LOVE TiVo. Have turned many-a-friend and family member on to it... turning them into equal TiVo addicts.

A few years back I bought a 16:9 HD-ready TV... and have become increasingly frustrated.

I do NOT want to go to my satellite company's DVR (Dish Network)... I have one already (on another TV in the house) and it sucks! It is NOT TiVo!

I have a long list of things TiVo has done right... but my list of things they've done wrong is growing.

...HDTV support for more than just specific providers with specific boxes. It doesn't help me that Direct TV has a limited TiVo box (I won't switch satellite companies, and have to pay and arm and a leg for a box that I lose features with!).

...limited Mac Support. I have multiples PCs in this house with Macs and Windows machines and would love it if I could get TivoToGo recording onto my iPod video more easily! And NO, I don't want to put iTunes on my Windows machines. And YES, I'd like to be able to enjoy TTG programs on my Mac!

...bad marketing! TiVo should be rocking the market with a DVR that is so much better than anything out there (IMO). How can it be that I still meet people who don't know what TiVo is after so many years?

...did I mention HDTV support? How many years before I can buy a stand-alone TiVo box that will support HD? I'm a die-hard TiVo fan for years now... am I going to have to give up my TiVo and move away from giving their company business because I get tired of waiting to take advantage of the nice HD Television I bought???

Maybe it's a technical issue I don't understand, but let me tell you, if they can make HDTV-ready televisions, I don't understand the holdup in making HDTV-ready TiVo boxes!!

Please TiVo Bigwigs... I beg you... come up with an HDTV solution. Sell your licensing or whatever to Dish Network or whoever will buy it. Get on the ball with HD! Yeah, transferring to my new iPod video would be nice and all, but have a fully functional, HDTV TiVo box in my entertainment rack is really what I've been waiting for!!!

Really, I say this all with love... LOL... can you feel it?

Come on guys!

2. Dec 30, 2005 #2 of 111
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you need to read this forum more often

look in my sig for the anouncement on dual tuner HD TiVo in 2006.
    Mac support has been posted here by TiVo employees slated for mid 2006.

You may reply you have heard it all before but if you read this forum once a week you would see that this stuff is coming. Keep an eye on CES announcements from TiVo. that starts up Jan. 5th

PS - of course how this fits into Dish network is something you will have to puzzle over a bit. The HD dual tuner is greatly simplified in design and lower in cost becasue the FCC has mandated cable cards to allow 3rd parties easy access to the digital signal on cable access.

Sat providers have no such mandate at this time and you will have to figure a way to get from Dish proprietary box HD to TiVo HD or else switch to cable

3. Dec 30, 2005 #3 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I need to read the forum more often to hear "wait some more, really, it's coming"... ? That's pretty funny Zeo. Would be a lot different if you told me I need to read the forum more because there were options already available... but hey, what do I know, right? Come on now... I don't need to read more often just to hear I'm still sh*t out of luck.

Does ATSC include Satelitte providers? I honestly don't know, which is why I ask.
    And I'm not interested in going back to my rip-off cable company who charges WAY too much money for inferior service (thank-you-very-much) ;) -- Matter of fact, as soon as FOIS is available in my area for internet access, I'll kiss my cable company goodbye for good. My brother-in-law just switched over, so it's coming.

There's really no excuse for the lag with some of this stuff. HD has been available for quite a while now, and getting increasingly popular. You can't sell TiVo boxes to people who are already taking advantage of HDTV if you don't have one compatible with it -- and that's just a dumb business move... LOTS of customers out the window for good because they ended up with their lame cable/satellite company's box.

And the Mac support thing is just ridiculous. Had they timed it right they would have been able to ride the coat tales of Apple for a while and boost their sales. Any idea how long it just took me to do the conversion the "hard way"... too long to be convenient enough to use often for a lousy 1-hour show.

I make these arguments because I LOVE my TiVo... not because I hate it. Think about it... if you can't keep your fans on board, how are you going to sell to a new audience, or fight against your proponents?

You can't. You lose.

4. Dec 30, 2005 #4 of 111
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I hate to break it to you but even when that new HD unit comes out in a few months it still aint gona work with Dish. It's going to be a CableCARD unit that will record HD from either cable or OTA ATSC signals. It will NOT have generic inputs like the current SD TiVos do today. In fact such a device is impossible! HDTV is broadcast as a pure digital signal. The only way to record it is to capture that signal in it's original digital format. Since Dish uses a propritary system for broadcasting their digital stream and does not allow 3rd parties to develop recievers there is no way TiVo will ever be able to produce a HD DVR that works with Dish. So if you insist on sticking with Dish then your only option for recording HD is to get one of their crappy, non-TiVo, DVRs.

Now if you're willing to be a little more flexible then you have some options. One of them, available right now, is to switch to DirecTV. The other is to switch to cable in 4-6 months and get one of the new CableCARD units. (TiVo is also working with Comcast to put TiVo software on their leased DVRs)

Dan

5. Dec 30, 2005 #5 of 111
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well if you want to rant about things that have been specifically slated for next year than have fun with that. TiVo has never before said a standalone HD unit was going to be released. This time they have said it will be out in 2006. But rant instead of read and then poke fun at me for telling you the scoop, have fun with that.
    then I suggest you write to DISH network about using TiVo software. really how do you expect TiVo to make an HD box for a closed proprietary receiver. If you are going to stick with Dish you have to go with their HD DVR.
    as noted above the sat and cable providers are not exactly opening up their systems for TiVo. The sat providers have pretty much shown they are sticking with their own closed proprietary receivers and DVRs. The main reason TiVo can finally think HD for cable is because the FCC mandated a standard open access for cable in the form of the cable card.

you are better served to start rants aimed at DISH and the FCC.
    many here do not understand what happened on Mac support, myself included. But "ride the coat tails[sic] of Apple" To where? There are certainly a lot of Mac users who bought into TiVo early on but I doubt the lack of Mac support made a noticeable dent in the bottom line for SD TiVos. Looks like TiVo will time things right by getting Mac support back in time for the HD boxes. since the correct quote by Jobs is "This is the year of HD editing" If TiVo can provide HD content to a Mac and support the best resolution possible on the iPod video (both very likely in 2006) then TiVo will be miles ahead of any other DVR unless Apple anounces its own HD DVR at CES, which I think unlikely. I think they will continue with a mini that can organize and play all kinds of media and download it easily from iTunes for a price. and oh yah, we have some recording software we may do some more work on after we finish making iTunes the prominent store for video.

6. Dec 30, 2005 #6 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Dan,

If/when my cable company is supported by TiVo or vice versa, well then I'd have to consider it. That's currently not the case though... nor have I heard plans for it. Maybe that will change, maybe not.
    And DirectTV is no answer for the reason I stated. Hasn't anything to do with being flexible. I'm not willing to pay 3 times as much for a box with less features (DTV is a LIMITED TiVo box, not a full featured one). Lets also not forget that DTV is going to stop supporting/offering TiVo pretty soon.

And Zeo, I was trying to be good natured about it above.

Your scoop isn't any scoop. It's something I've heard for a LONG time... yeah yeah, it's coming. Doesn't change the fact that some of these are things that should have already been available.

It's not just Dish Network... it's a LOT of other companies, and maybe that's because TiVo already missed the boat. Remember how Steve Jobs originally missed the same boat (the one Bill Gates jumped on)? I don't know what happened with TiVo or why, but apparently everyone else thinks they can make and offer a better DVR/PVR now, and while us TiVo users already know the deal, that isn't going to keep TiVo in business. DirectTV is jumping ship too. My local cable company offers their own DVR already... and if Dish Network, DirectTV and my local cable company (who I already said I despised) can't offer me a TiVo compatible system (or vice versa), what choice will I have but to jump ship if I really want to take advantage of HDTV?

And while you say I shouldn't rant about TiVo but at Dish and the FCC how do you know I'm not? Besides the point anyway, if TiVo is going to stay in business they are going to have to survive the switch-over to HDTV... they aren't going to do it because the FCC mandates it. Maybe it's a battle they can't win, I have no idea... and if that's the case, well it's just sad.

No, lack of Mac users don't make a "dent" -- but now that the iPod video is available, and a larger percentage of those people will be mac users (with mac sales up quite a bit), they are closing their own doors on themselves... and not opening themselves up to lots of NEW business that could be there. These are the kind of sales pitches in board meetings that help make a company grow. "Hey, Dish Network guys, we have this idea that instead of you going with archos we team up to provide a kick-a*s DVR that also had the ability to dump to the already widely used iPod (not some lame whoever heard-of-Archos system) ... and we'll have it ready to go the same day the iPod video hits the streets."

But then you get into all the hollywood guys who get their panties in a bunch about the prospect of people downloading their stuff for free cause they watched it on TV... *sigh*

HD on an iPod (at this point) is pointless. The year of HD Editing refers to the home film-editing market, widely available HD camcorders, and iMovie HD, Final Cut HD, etc. People getting HD onto their 3" iPod screen doesnt' matter. Mac Support does, whether it's HD or not.

And YES, maybe you should read more, because there are already lots of rumors about a Mac PVR/DVR, and Mac home entertainment systems -- "Described as a version of the Mac Mini, Apple is reportedly looking to deliver unique DVR capabilities in the Intel-based devices next year. (dec 2, 2005)"

7. Dec 30, 2005 #7 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    ps. another quote for ya...

"We have all heard the rumors of an Intel-base Mac Mini being released in January. ThinkSecret has more information supporting that fact, as well as the possibliity that the new Mactel Mini will be re-introduced as a digital hub for the home.

The new project is codenamed Kaleidescope and includes Front Row 2.0 and a Tivo-like recording application." (Forever Geek)

8. Dec 30, 2005 #8 of 111
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

yes that was talked about a while back and is what I was referring to in talking about the mini really being more of a media player and front end to iTunes. "TiVo like" was used generously. The Apple software for recording shows is just not very advanced yet, It does not seem to be Apple's focus for the mini. I only used scopp in the broad sense of giving the info. My DVR info mainly comes from this forum and I have no illusions of being the first to say any of this.

And if you want to overlook what Dan and I both said that TiVo can not provide an HD DVR for a closed receiver such as Dish than have fun with your rant. The simple fact is that until the FCC tells the sat companies to open up their system ala cable card or Dish decides to work a deal with TiVo which is very doubtful - you will be stuck with the DVR Dish decides to provide with whatever features they have or can be hacked. Does it have firewire?

Cable Card is only now getting traction. So there was a very large technical hurdle to overcome and for the Sat providers it looks like the FCC mandating access is the only way you will get your wish of a Stand Alone HD TiVo for sat..

9. Dec 30, 2005 #9 of 111
    generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    I think many of us are just looking for a HDTV SA2 unit that works with any tv provider we choose. We all love our tivos and hate to be limited to any provider because they support Tivo. D* was the choice for many of us because they supported tivo and offered us great units like the hr10-250. Now the winds have changed and comcast customers are about to get a great deal. I have mediacom and am very interested in the CC tivo but I've already made a large investment with D*. So many of us would like to have a HDTV SA2 unit that works with whoever and whenever we want.

I have no clue, but isn't it possible to record something that outputs with componet cables?

10. Dec 30, 2005 #10 of 111
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    TiVo sales are not affected significantly by Mac sales. Apple finally managed to get 4% of the PC market this year...the coat tails are extremely small... I'd say Mac is riding the coat tails of iPod, if anything.

When I read your rant, I expected to see that this was posted way back, since most of the stuff you're complaining about has been announced as coming out this year.

11. Dec 30, 2005 #11 of 111
    nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    For several thousand dollars, yes!

That's the whole point. HD Digital is completely different than SD analog. While it was relatively easy and inexpensive to produce the hardware needed to process and record an analog TV signal, it would be REALLY expensive and difficult to do the same with the UNCOMPRESSED digital outputs that are fed out of the component or DVI/HDMI connections. All consumer level HD DVRs need access to the compressed digital signal (ATSC for broadcast, QAM for most cable systems and some MPEG2 or MPEG4 for satellite). Other than the broadcast stuff, the only way a DVR can get access to the other compressed streams (often encrypted) is with the cooperation of the providers. CableCard tries to help with this for cable systems but still needs the cable providers to be compliant and provide and support the cablecards. Satellite providers have no similar technology on the horizon (or mandated) so the only way to get at their stuff is for them to effectively "build it".

12. Dec 30, 2005 #12 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You said apple was unlikely to get into the PVR/DVR market. You're just wrong. And since it's not out yet, you might want to hold of criticizing it. Let's see which comes out first. TiVo HD and iPod support (across both platforms), or Apples Mac Mini home media center.

YOU are overlooking the facts. I do not have HDTV +TiVo options where I live. I'm not going to buy a box limited in features. Dish Network doesn't offer it. Neither does my cable company. And I hear NO plans for any of that to become reality in the near future. I have the ability to listen, maybe you do not.

And until whoever, whether FCC or someone else, decides to do something about the current state of affairs, TiVo sales will continue to drop and TiVo will lose loyal customers -- and guess who loses? ALL of us.

And that's exactly what my rant is about. It's all taken so darn long that I don't even know if TiVo will be able to survive -- don't kid yourself... whether the FCC mandates it or not, MOST people will just get the DVR available for free or lease through their cable/satellite company. Unless TiVo really starts to sell itself as so different from what's out there already (now that YEARS have gone by), we are all going to end up giving up our TiVos... and that's exactly what I don't want to happen!

Generalpatton you are exactly right. Maybe there are technical hurdles to jump over, but nothing is uncrackable. The more popular HDTV gets, the more TiVo (and other DVR systems, DVD-R systems, etc.) are going to have to figure out a way to support it.

This is just wrong thinking. Whether Apply owns 4% or 50% of the home PC market is besides the point... they DO own a very high percentage of the portable media player market, and TiVo should have been working on rolling out support for it the day it hit the streets... and in order to NOT piss off the company you're trying to support, and as a good business practice, you make sure you roll out support for both platforms simultaneously. Why would you cut out ANY of the market, especially when right now you need all the sales you can get?? Mac sales are up, and iPod sales are through the roof, so why WOULDN'T TiVo care about it? They should.

But still not available. I have been exploring the HD support thing for a LONG time. At one point I almost made the jump to DirectTV... but that's no choice either. If I did make that jump the iPod argument goes right out the window since the DTV box offers no TTG support at all. $600 for a limited TiVo is no option at all... and now DTV is jumping ship anyway.

So I guess it comes down to just praying -- LOL. These are the type of technicals I know less about and the big problem NOW is that a lot of the providers are offering their own psuedo-TiVos. TiVo is going to need to do SOMETHING to stay in the game, but the more I read and hear about, the less it seems likely. If a die-hard like me is going to have no real choice but to look elsewhere, the average consumer is certainly going to look elsewhere.

I just had a conversation a few weeks ago with my Boss... a big IT guy. He wanted me to tell him all what TiVo could do for him. As much as I promo'd the unit hard, explained all the benefits, in the end without HD support he had to choose to go with our local cable company's DVR.

13. Dec 30, 2005 #13 of 111
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    You are hardly a die hard. You can use DirecTv tivos and have all the video fidelity you want. You can add a second SA unit and transfer all the stuff you want via TTG to a video iPod or whatever. If you don't want to buy an extra unit, then mod the HD unit and transfer using well known tools. Plus you get HD quality mpegs- better than TTG. If you are concerned about what you do after the HD unit dies, then you can buy the CC HD Tivo.
    Well. You wouldn't lose features with such an approach, and at $289 for an HD Tivo (AR), it seems to me you are a die hard so long as you are not inconvenienced.

There are already Apple solutions. They all cost a bundle, and they are not able to connect to the Satellite Carrier Networks either, so I don't understand the point. It's not that Tivo dropped the ball- no other vendor can do what you are requesting. When Apple comes out with a unit that folks can buy for $50, then that will be significant. But that really isn't Apple's style, is it? When apple comes out with a video transfer policy that is as liberal as Tivo's, that will be very interesting- especially considering Apple wants to sell video content on iTMS.

Yeah, the cable companies are giving their DVRs away for free in hopes they can kill the Tivo phenomenon. The weakness in their strategy is that they have no lock in on those users. No barrier to exit means that if folks want a real DVR, they can upgrade to a CC Tivo, get all the TTG connectivity and HME features. And the cost of the Tivo unit is negligible when you consider their high resale value.

So your rant really seems a bit more of a whine to me.

If you want to advocate a hypothetical Apple device over existing Tivo solutions, if you want to recite the Tivo Death Watch refrain be my guest, but "die hard" "Tivo junkie"? Please.

14. Dec 30, 2005 #14 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I said I was a die-hard fan, not a die-hard rich woman with the ambition to hack my TiVo... which of course goes back to my rant about what TiVo is providing to us vs. what we have to do ourselves (with hacks and add-on programs -- did you see the part where I mentioned how long it took to transfer a 1-hour show to my iPod video?) and hacks, additional software and hardware is hardly a good business strategy for the masses.

And $289 isn't the price... That is AFTER a $200 mail-in rebate. So you're asking me to lay out $489 for a 30 hour TiVo box that will never get automatic software updates or be able to do TTG out of the box?... plus whatever it costs me to switch from Dish Network to DirectTV (equipment, setup, etc.).

I'll admit it may in SMALL PART be a convenience issue, but there's a helluva lot more to it than that.

But there ARE DVRs that will do the job, just not as well... what sets TiVo apart? Nothing... because it can't do the HD part. So all you get is a set of trade-offs you have to decide upon. OBVIOUSLY up to now TiVo has been more important to me than HD... but that isn't going to be forever because after years of waiting for a solution I still don't have one with TiVo.

Apple already came out with an affordable computer solution (not their typical way-too-much money home pc)... I bought two of them this year (one for my daughter, one for my brother). Their video transfer policy so far is pretty liberal since there's stuff for free and stuff for pay... and it's only just begun. When it can connect to my TV and record, we'll see what happens. Ever use iTunes and an iPod? It couldn't be easier... and YES, I can record all my own music into it FOR FREE, play it and get it on my iPod. TiVo couldn't be easier for what IT does... but TiVo could take a marketing lesson from what Apple has done in recent times.

and slowly succeeding.

Wait one second. First off there is not CC TiVo yet.. just a lot of talk about there being one soon... and we have NO idea what wide-spread availability will be like.... nor even the cost at this point. We don't know if it will have TTG features yet do we (though it's a safe assumption it will, I agree). There is a HUGE exit barrier.... MOST consumers don't want to dismantle their home media center to add a TiVo if their DVR is doing the job already (and they haven't been sufficiently "sold" on why they need a TiVo). I still have relatives who argue their VCR does the job! If they get a box for FREE or very low monthly cost from their cable provider, trust me, they won't spend the money on TiVo unless you can convince them the features are that much better... and that's not an easy sell (and guess what, TiVo isn't doing a great job at selling itself as it is).

Maybe so, but completely justified. How long would you like me to hang my hopes on the fact that TiVo will actually have a solution for me? I don't live in a comcast area. I don't want to lose features or have less recording space. For two years now I've wanted to enjoy HDTV, and even more so in the last year as many more channels are broadcasting in HD. How long is long enough to wait? That's not a question as much as me wondering outloud, because I keep waiting... I really AM holding out for a solution because I LOVE MY TIVO.

Wasn't the point of the thread. Someone who replied brought up that Apple wasn't going to make a DVR and pretty much accused me of not reading enough and knowing what I was talking about. Guess what? Apple IS going to explore that market. Whether it's as good as TiVo or offers an HD solution is an unknown, and I'm not an advocate or naysayer about it. Time will tell.

I need not prove to you my TiVo junkie status... I've probably had a box longer than you knew they existed, so PLEASE yourself. Just because I won't jump through hoops to do the job TiVo itself should be doing doesn't mean I don't LOVE my TiVo, and hope they offer a real HD solution and Mac/iPod TTG support -- because there's enough of us that it's worth doing... and they NEED the business.

15. Dec 30, 2005 #15 of 111
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    It still costs your $289. You just don't want to be inconvenienced with rebates.

You can add a standalone Tivo and get all the TTG connectivity you want to your video ipod.

Done. You could have done this "years ago" when you got your HDTV. So what's the problem?

As for apple?
    No. I think $1.99 is too much to pay for video I can get for free with my Tivo.

16. Dec 30, 2005 #16 of 111
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    TivoPhish wrote:
    and then

What IS your point exactly? You said that TiVo would have sold more units if they had Mac support, I pointed out that since the Mac market is miniscule, they wouldn't have. Then you counter that by saying that it doesn't matter how many Macs there are (?) but that you were talking about the portable media market.

Why did you even bring up Macs in the first place then, since they have little to do with the portable media market (my iPod works fine with my PC, just like I suspect it is for most people who have an iPod)?

but then you say
    Uh... so DOES it matter how many Macs there are, or doesn't it? You apparently believe it does... and then that it doesn't... and then that it does.

Maybe you should figure out what you believe, and then write something that makes sense.

17. Dec 30, 2005 #17 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Repeat yourself all you want. Where is this magical TiVo HD unit I'm going to buy that isn't going to limit my features (OUT OF THE BOX) and allow me to use TTG without hacking it? I'm not going to layout $489 for a limited TiVo box with a smaller harddrive and no software updates.

Rebates mean you pay the money upfront and wait 8 weeks to get the money back... HOPEFULLY. Any idea how rebate companies work? They get incentives NOT to approve your rebate, so you jump through hoops with about a 50% chance you'll ever get the money back. It COSTS $489, and than hopefully, you'd get the $200 back. I'd also never buy the box through ebay to count on a rebate. Considering how limited the box is, I also don't think it's worth even the $289. For a box that lacks network support, software updates and TTG, I might as well go to any old DVR at the point and sacrifice TiVo's excellent interface for HD capability (hence the dilema). ... AND soon enough, DirectTV will not be supporting TiVo at all.

Guess what dude? Your video ISN'T free... you pay your cable company or satellite company for it (unless you're gonna tell me you have your TiVo hooked up to an antenna, which I doubt). And there's LOTS of "free" Video to be had with your iPod... free video podcasts for example... any DVD I own can go on my iPod... anything I can record with TiVo can go on my iPod ... but right now it's not so easy or time-efficient. TiVo is already promising iPod support, so why you so anti-apple? They obviously aren't. My gripe is that it's not YET available, and they've been promising Mac computer support for a long time. They are essentially sending customers out the doors into the arms of other companies.

Don't kid yourself... if Apple comes out with a kick-ass DVR with a built-in iPod dock (which is what the rumors point to), lots of iPod owners (and there's LOTS of them) are going to choose THAT over TiVo. And THAT my friend, is bad for TiVo, and all of us.

And if it supports HD, I'll be taking a hard look too. I don't care if it's Apple, Sony or Sam's DVR Company. I can only wait so long while TiVo is stuck in development.

18. Dec 30, 2005 #18 of 111
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Hey hey. Simmer down. $289 is $289. It's too much trouble for you to fill out forms. I understand.

You didn't explain why you refused to get an SA Tivo, if you are such a tivo junkie, and want to have the TTG features.

You didn't explain why you didn't get HD DirecTivo "years ago" when you got your HDTV, even though HD is such a bit deal to you.

19. Dec 30, 2005 #19 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The iPod market is NOT miniscule, and because of the iPods success the Mac home PC market is growing. Ignoring the Apple platform is bad for business, and for making friends at Apple to team up for TiVo/iPod super-support... which would be GREAT for TiVo sales.

Because it's one of those areas where TiVo has been making promises and hasn't yet come through... and it's been a LONG time. There's good reason to develop TTG for the Mac, but it doesn't happen. Now the iPod Video has hit the street and iTunes business is up up up. Where is TiVo, still promising iPod and Apple support. Not smart business.

20. Dec 30, 2005 #20 of 111
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Hey Justin, you're being an... cough cough cough.
    Laying out $489 is still $489 out of my pocket today. What part of that don't you understand?

You didn't pay attention to the fact I already HAVE a SA TiVO and use TTG features. Doesn't much solve the HD dilema does it??? Certainly doesn't make the process very easy, user friendly or marketable to the masses does it (for say, use with an iPod)? I certainly don't use it as often as I would if it was much less time-consuming and effecient.

Uh yeah, I did explain it... you just weren't listening. Because the box is limited and too much money for what it is. How many times must *I* repeat myself for you to hear it???? You complain that Apple's DVR might be too much money (comparing it to a $50 TiVo) but then want me to lay out $489, spending $289 when I get the rebate money back, for a box that has less features. And you certainly aren't addressing the fact that DirectTV is going to stop supporting TiVo, or the fact that it would cost money for me to switch over to another provider.

What's going to happen with the mpeg-4 stream from DTV starts and lots of shows can't even be viewed through that expensive, limited DTV TiVo box?

My rant is valid. You don't agree. Fine.