June 2016 Update - 20.6.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by suomynona, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1 of 19
    suomynona

suomynona Member

Apr 11, 2007
    At 2am this morning, I was listening to the news and suddenly my screen froze. I stopped what I was doing and looked over. The screen stayed frozen for a couple of seconds before Tivo's reboot screen came up.

20 minutes later, the update was complete on my XL4.

My software version is now 20.6.1.RC14-01-2-758

There's nothing about the update in Messages. There's no mention of an update at https://www.tivo.com/softwareupdates

You'd think that there would be something about an upcoming update in messages -- or a message added after an update is completed. The only way I found anything was by searching my new software version and found this: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Essential_Summary/TiVo-Software-Version-Information

For any Comcast/Xfinity customers that might be wondering -- HBOGo still does not work for Comcast/Xfinity subscribers. Not that this would have anything to do with a software update. Just wishful thinking.

2. Jun 8, 2016 #2 of 19
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    FWIW, my 2-tuner Premiere was pending restart this morning, so I restarted it to install 20.6.1.RC14. My 4-tuner Roamio had received the update Sunday morning. Neither unit was on any priority update list.

3. Jun 8, 2016 #3 of 19
    Cheezmo

Cheezmo Active Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Plano, TX
    I had signed up to get it early and it appears it was installed last night.

Since it didn't change any functionality at all on the Premiere, I can understand there not being any messages. I guess it could say "we fixed a bunch of little bugs". I had the problem where the My Shows screen kept refreshing every couple of seconds so I'm glad that is gone.

4. Jun 8, 2016 #4 of 19
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    my premier is still on 20.6.1.RC12

5. Jun 9, 2016 #5 of 19
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    there isn't usually any tivo messages if it just bug fixes

6. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I noticed my Premiere rebooted at about 2 am and was up at about 2:12 am. It's on RC14, but I thought it was already on that previously.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I received RC14 on a Roamio yesterday. It was using RC12.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Found this on my XL4 sometime last week.
    softwareVersion 20.6.1.RC14-01-2-758

9. jelwell

jelwell Member

Jun 7, 2001
    San Diego,...
    Slide out keyboard for the Yahoo app is working again. Not sure when it was fixed.

10. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    The MLB app wasn't fixed in this version. Still pauses every few seconds during playback making it unusable. They used to have a Tivo specific version, but now the MLB app looks just like the one built in to my TV which is just a basic player with no Tivo trick features. Better apps on Roku and Apple TV - but the picture on the Tivo is the best of all. If only they could get it to work properly.

11. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Since the update installed, I have a had a problem where my Premiere will not start playing a video - just hangs at the very start. Occurs randomly. Reboot Tivo and the video plays fine.

12. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    BIG issue for me. Not sure if this update had anything to do with it but a day after the update all 4 tuners on XL4 freeze with V53 problem with signal trying again and Not Authorized V58 and even 161-17 Cable Card Error. Sometimes a reboot or even pulling the plug will clear it but only for a few hours.

I can ALWAYS Play previously recorded shows.

Any Ideas? I am going to see what TIVO support says, but I am sure they will blame the cable Co. My sig level is fine and is the same level as our other TIVO!

13. sasmallen

sasmallen New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    My XL4 now has audio dropouts every 1-2mins (it's random). The dropout lasts for just a instant, then comes back. I have also had to reboot 2 or 3 times after my picture went black and the V53 error showed up. Very annoying...

When this started I checked my software version and noticed it's now 20.6.1.RC14-01-2-758. I guess it could just be a coincidence, but I've never had these problems before.

14. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I had never seen this before on this XL4 either. Trying something new and will report back. My Software is the same as yours now and that is when it all started.

15. sasmallen

sasmallen New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I hope you find something that works. I'm a little worried that it might be slowly getting worse. Had to restart twice in the last 1.5 hrs. The last time instead of the screen going black with the V53 error, the screen just froze and the V53 msg came up on top of the frozen picture. Seems like audio dropouts are happening more often as well (2 to 3 every minute).

16. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, my issue was failures from every 5 minutes to 6 hours. Got V53, V58 and even a Cable card Error.

I did reboots and even powered down and it all came back...then failed again. Tivo said it could be Cable Co Cable Card. I called the Cable Co...Frontier FIOS...and he said he would re-authorize my card and asked for the card SN...which was on the Tivo screen. He did not want to effect other cards here in my other TIVOs. He re-authorized the card and screen was still black, so I did a reboot and it has been working ever since!!!

OH, I also verified my signal level. It was between 90 and 93 on all channels. I did see it go to 0 on some of the channels but that, I believe, had to do with the cablecard needing "permission".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  17. sasmallen

sasmallen New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I had Comcast re-provision my cable card this morning and so far so good. All my levels were 90-94 and SNR was 35. Never had to do anything like that for my card over the past few yrs, but at least it's working now.

18. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    That is great. So far mine is still OK! Let us know if this worked for you too! Did you also remember to restart/reboot?

19. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Mine failed again, this time, after 6 days! Frontier sent me a new M-Card and I just installed it. My old card was rev 002 and the new one is 019!