Jump from Selected Program in To Do List to Same Program in Guide?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by piano man, Jan 3, 2015.

1. piano man

piano man New Member

Dec 30, 2014

Advertisements

I want to select a program in the To Do List and jump directly to it in the Guide (it will often be on a future date). Is that possible? I can't find a way to do it. Am I missing something simple? This is the default behavior for Comcast's (Motorola) DVRs and is very useful to me.

2. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know about that but you can press select then scroll down to upcoming episodes select it. You can also while in Guide press ENTER (not SELECT) and choose date and time to view in guide.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Can you explain how this would be useful? Not being rhetorical, I'm asking.

4. piano man

piano man New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    NBA games for my home team are simply labeled "NBA Basketball" in the guide, the same as they often are for other NBA team's games, so I can't set a simple season pass to record only my team's games. But 1/2 hour before each game there is pre-game program that is uniquely named in the guide and I have those set up as a season pass.

So from the To Do List I want to be able to click on the pre-game programs and be taken directly to that program in the guide. Then I simply advance 1/2 hour in the guide and set the actual game to record. About once a week (on the Comcast DVR) I simply scan the To Do List and use that procedure to set up any new game recordings for the week. I don't even have to remember the dates or times (different for road and home games) of the games because the pre-game recordings are always automatically set up. Since there are 82 games a year this saves a lot of work and most importantly I don't forget to set up a game to record.

It's also nice in general when scanning the To Do List and you realize you forgot set up a recording for something to be able to just pick any other item in the To Do List on that date and press the Guide button to be taken to that date in the guide.

As I said this is the way the Comcast DVR's work and I think it is much better than always bringing the guide up to the current time and date when the Guide button is pressed, which it will of course also do if there is no item selected in its "To Do List".

5. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I would try changing the Stop recording from "On time" to "3 hours longer" in the season pass recording options.

6. piano man

piano man New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Unfortunately 3 hours isn't long enough for all overtime games. It would be awful having a recording cut off in the middle of overtime, or a double overtime.

I have found that TIVO allows season passes to be restricted to programs on specific channels, unlike the Comcast DVR. So that helps. I was able to set up "NBA Basketball" season passes for each of the two "local" channels that broadcast my team's games without getting other unwanted games. That still leaves some TNT games that I have to manually enter, but it helps a lot.

Nevertheless, I still think Comcast's method of jumping directly to a program in the guide when the Guide button is pressed in the To Do List is much better.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You need to look into using a wishlist instead of a season pass. They can utilize the attributes of a program differently than a season pass. Very powerful for sports programming.

8. piano man

piano man New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the Wishlist function.