"Journeyman" - Pilot Leaked

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 179
    Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004

Advertisements

The pilot episode of the new show called "Journeyman" has been leaked onto the internet. It stars that guy from the HBO show "Rome".

"Dan Vasser thought he had it all: a loving wife, a great son and a steady
    job.

But life suddenly throws him a curve ball. Dan finds himself traveling into
    the past with a purpose – impacting people's lives for the better – and
    sometimes the worse. While doing so, Dan reconnects with Livia Beale, his ex-
    fiancée, whom he lost in a mysterious plane crash. Now armed with the
    knowledge of the present, will he be able to save her? What would that mean to
    his own future? And how would it change a man who thought he had it all?"

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 179
    Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I'm really looking forward to this show. I'm hoping it can make it for a full season. I love the concept.

It's similar (but not exactly so), to the book The Time Traveler's Wife. There are some differences from the book, but similar in concept.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 179
    dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Note that Journeyman and three other NBC pilots (Chuck, Bionic Woman, Life) are available at Blockbuster, both online and at their stores. It takes a rental slot online, but is free at the store:

http://www.blockbuster.com/nbc

Correction: Just a 2 minute sneek-peek for Bionic Woman, sorry. The other three seem to be full pilots.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 179
    grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    I have high hopes for both Life and Journeyman.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 179
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Can you say "Quantam Leap"? :p

(A show I loved, BTW)

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 179
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    QL was one of my favorite shows and one that really needs a final movie to close it out. The concept of Journeyman sounds very much like QL.

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 179
    Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I can see why Journeyman might have a QL vibe. Don't know too much more about it, so I can only speculate. If it's anything like The Time Traveler's Wife, he's moving in time (forward, too?) in his own life. He's not replacing himself in his time - his 'present day' self will be occupying the same time as his past self. (Yes, in The Time Traveler's Wife, this presents for some interesting situations).

In The Time Traveler's Wife, however, he cannot change the past. The commercials suggest (to me) that he can. I don't know that for sure - just speculating.

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 179
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Woohoo finally! Was looking forward to this!

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 179
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    yeah, this is the first show that jumped out at me too.

Any other shows getting a good buzz?

10. Sep 6, 2007 #10 of 179
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Wow just watched this show, definitely is going to be in my series link/todo list! Very good!

11. Sep 6, 2007 #11 of 179
    TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    If you mean similar in that both use the concept of time travel, then yes. If you mean similiar in any other way, not so much.

12. Sep 6, 2007 #12 of 179
    Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Have you read the book? Just curious your thoughts about it. I don't know much about Journeyman, but I have read Time Traveler's Wife a few times.

I can only speculate on the Journeyman concept. I haven't looked into details about the story yet. I see a couple of overarching parallel's between the two.

From my own speculation, here are the parallels (and differences) I see: Journeyman travels within his own lifetime (Henry, the main character from TTTW did so as well). Journeyman isn't randomly traveling around (like QL), but traveling back to people that are important to him (Henry did the same most of the time - at least the times that are covered in the book). Henry couldn't affect time, while Journeyman can.

I haven't seen the show yet, but, as I said, the concepts seem similar to me. I'll be curious to see how they execute it in Journeyman. If they do half as good a job as they did in TTTW, then it will be excellent.

And, if they do it like they did in TTTW, you all will be fooled into thinking it's science fiction, when it's *so* much more than that. :up: That's how I got hooked onto TTTW - thinking it's just about time travel. It's not.

13. Sep 6, 2007 #13 of 179
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    Shhhhhh,.....don't jinx it! :mad:

I saw a commercial for it last night and I think I'm going to like it (great, now it'll get cancelled!)

14. Sep 6, 2007 #14 of 179
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    +1, very good first show. and yes, he can alter timelines and can share the time with himself in the past, fwiw.

15. Sep 6, 2007 #15 of 179
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I hope it's not too much like The Time Traveler's Wife
    Saddest book I read in ages. He knew exactly how it was going to end, and there was nothing he could do about it.

16. Sep 6, 2007 #16 of 179
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i don't think so, the premise from the first show appears to be that he travells back in time to alter events so that 'good people' are saved (at least that is the first show anyway!)

17. Sep 6, 2007 #17 of 179
    Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I'll agree that I hope it's not like that in that regard. However, despite how sad it is, it's a *great* book.

Spoiler for TTTW:

When you consider the book's title, the story really is about Claire, and how she waits. And waits. Even to the very end. It really is more of her life story than it is Henry's.

18. Sep 7, 2007 #18 of 179
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Good show.

How does Moon Bloodgood get into two time travel shows in one year?

19. Sep 7, 2007 #19 of 179
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They are also showing the pilot on select United flights.
    I was not on one of them, however...

20. Sep 7, 2007 #20 of 179
    bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    I just watched the pilot, legally, from a NBC Preview DVD through Blockbuster Online. I had no clue beforehand what it was about. This is definitely going as an SP for the season. I watched Chuck before, and that one is "let's see after 2-3 episodes". Journeyman is a must see for me now that I've seen the pilot. Very well done. :up: