Jon and Kate Plus Eight - 5/25/09 - EARTH-SHATTERING *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jesda, May 26, 2009.

1. May 26, 2009 #1 of 136
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!

Advertisements

Depressing. I somewhat recall what the older daughter said, "Daddy, will you stop leaving?"

All he could do was tell her to go play.

Kate seemed indignant. Jon seemed resigned. I was hoping they would be talking about resolving their issues, but it seems they've already moved on to divorce.

2. May 26, 2009 #2 of 136
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah, they did NOT seem very happy with each other.

Kate is such a ***** generally

But it seems like Jon is going through a 1/3 life crisis and wants out

3. May 26, 2009 #3 of 136
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    SUPER depressing. And I kept thinking, why the he!! are they doing another season of this show? I don't understand why J&K are doing it, and I don't understand what the network is thinking, either.

You hate the paparazzi? You hate the tabloids? You hate being famous and in the spotlight? You think all of this is ruining your life? News flash: It's because of how you place yourself on national television by filming a TV show at your house!!! Stop doing the show, and everyone will forget about you in 2 months, and you can have a normal life. But if this is what you're choosing, stop freaking whining about it!!

As for the network, who is going to watch the "Jon and Kate have marital problems and ignore each other in front of the kids" show? I mean, sure, the tabloid readers and gossipers might. But I get the sense that the main market for this show is families with little kids. It's wholesome family entertainment -- birthday parties, puppies, family outings. If I was watching this show with my little kids as kid-friendly fare, I would have cancelled my SP after last night. I don't think marriages disintegrating and parents talking about whether they cheated on each other and tearful talk of divorce is what parents are looking for in G-rated, little-kid shows.

4. May 26, 2009 #4 of 136
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. I'll bet the season premiere will be the highest rated episode in the history of the series, and then I'll bet the ratings drop off sharply after that, as people realize there's nothing fun or entertaining about watching a couple's marriage implode on national TV, especially when there are 8 kids involved.

5. May 26, 2009 #5 of 136
    flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania

Advertisements

That was a very sad part. I actually think Jon was touched/hurt by that comment. He hugged/kissed her and seemed very sad.

I wonder if he is even living in the mansion at this point. We never got to see him at home. She was shown being stressed out at home making party favors acting like she would rather be on the road at a speaking engagement.

6. May 26, 2009 #6 of 136
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Why another $ea$on?? Here'$ the rea$on.

7. May 26, 2009 #7 of 136
    dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yep. To be fair, though, 8 mouths to feed + 1 brand new "mansion" = a lot of upkeep.

Of course, the fact that the mom is trying to parlay her 15 minutes into some kind of lasting fame doesn't help either.

8. May 26, 2009 #8 of 136
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Ugh. I guess I will never watch this show. I was a bit curious about what was going on since I had read about some of the troubles the couple is having but it does not sound like fun TV to watch little kids get hurt by their parents marital troubles.

9. May 26, 2009 #9 of 136
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Well, of course. But you would think that at some point putting their kids' interests first, like they are always talking about, would mean not putting money first. The kids do benefit from the wealth to some extent, of course, but that can't be the only thing that's important. I would hope they've saved some money from the past couple of years to make payments on that mansion . . . .

I remember seeing in an earlier episode the adults saying that the only TV (or one of the only things) they let their kids watch is their own show. And thinking how neat that could be for the kids to see (putting aside the self-centered worldview of course), and to have as they grow up, like super fancy home movies.

But then last night as I was watching, it was just incredibly sad to think about how much that was NOT true anymore. Not only would it be awful for the kids to see last night's episode now (if they could even understand it), but they should never have to see their parents discussing that stuff, at any age. Is the whole season going to be like that? At some point I think you need to just say, $$ or no $$, our family is going to be more hurt than helped by this.

10. May 26, 2009 #10 of 136
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    This reminds me of the last season of Jessica Simpson's reality show, when she and her husband were pretty much over already as a couple. That was pretty depressing. Not sure if the ratings justified airing of it even.

11. May 26, 2009 #11 of 136
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I am hoping the next episode (and the rest of the season) goes back to normal. Yes, I realize this may not ever happen, but I agree that I wouldn't really want to watch it if it was filled with marital drama.

12. May 26, 2009 #12 of 136
    DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I liked how a man with 8 kids can still drive a 350Z.

13. May 26, 2009 #13 of 136
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah this show is doomed. I think Kate will struggle to keep it together to keep one more year together to crank up the money, but Jon doesn't care, and I don't think he really cares to be around Kate any more. Clearly he still cares for the kids, but he has got nothing left.

She is mad at him for what she believes he has done, but given her choice I am pretty sure that she would work hard to keep things together. Partly for the kids, and partly for her celebrity.

Honestly I just started watching the show, but I have already seen half the episodes, and I thought them splitting up being a logistic impossibility, but I don't know any more. Personally I think it is a bad idea, and they need to suck it up for the kids and make it work.. but I think Jon wants to be done with the show, and with the way he is being treated.

With like 50 episodes still sitting on my DVR from the marathon, it kind of tinges my ability to enjoy them. The kids are the star of the show, but it is hard to enjoy the shows as much when you know where things are going. Not to mention some of the stuff is disturbing between those two.

I also think Kate is oblivious on many levels. For one thing she said that she felt Jon was always really in to the show and stuff and that changed. It is clearly visible that was not the case and has not been the case pretty much since the series has started.

She is also a not job about organic foods and stuff. Most kids don't eat as much candy as she feeds those kids. I don't care what she gives them, but stop trying to tell me you are trying to only feed them organic and healthy food. Organic Marshmallow Fluff? Seriously.

I think they both want people to feel sorry for them currently, and I don't feel sorry for either one of them. I just feel sorry for the kids.

By the way I have never seen a reason to take issue with Kate and her raising of the kids until this episode.

It is clear they have help. She specifically mentioned it when she talked about Jon taking care of the kids when she was off "working." So why did she feel the need to load up her 6 little kids and take them to Party City to buy party supplies for their own birthday, especially when she KNEW there would be papparazzi there. Irresponsible.

Then to go have their birthday party in a public park when they own like 500 acres of land that they could secure makes zero sense. I thought in past years she really did have the kids interest in the forefront most of the time. I don't think that is the case all anymore. She is all about her and expanding her career. Everyone else including Jon and the kids are simply tools she can use to do that.

14. May 26, 2009 #14 of 136
    wdpower

wdpower New Member

May 22, 2005
    West Palm Beach
    That is how I felt about the show from the begining and why I refused to watch it. I caught a couple of episodes yesterday at a friends house. Like the one with Steve about making the house more "green", she seemed like she wanted nothing to do with anything.

15. May 26, 2009 #15 of 136
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_en_tv/us_tv_jon___kate_ratings_4

It will be interesting to see how many of those viewers come back for more installments in the next few weeks.

16. May 26, 2009 #16 of 136
    crys

crys Spel Chek Dapendent

May 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So sad. Admitedly, we all love to watch a train wreck sometimes. but 8 kids that are old enough to absorb what's going on around them... I can't watch it. It loses it's entertainment value for me knowing that those kids are soaking up all of the drama around them.

17. May 26, 2009 #17 of 136
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Don't underestimate the power of "at least I don't have it that bad". :)

I only watched the show for about 10 minutes (a few years ago), and it gave me the impression that the husband was the ass. Seems she's not so great either, huh?

18. May 26, 2009 #18 of 136
    Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    I think Kate and Jon realize that their show has a shelf life and they are rapidly approaching it. Call me skeptic, but you couldn't time any of this any better... Allegations are made from the brother of the alleged girlfriend and then comes the revelation that Kate had Jon sign a contract to stay for the show. This comes from Kate's family. All leading up to last night's episode... Just seemed to perfectly timed to be anything but a publicity stunt...

19. May 26, 2009 #19 of 136
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I too thought it was all PR and ratings.

I mean I only have one kid, but if you told me to act like I want out for a few minutes and I could make serious $$$, sure, I could do it.

I kind of expect them to recover and be just fine. It'll happen right as ratings are dipping.

But I don't watch the show, so I could be way wrong. That was just my first thought.

20. May 26, 2009 #20 of 136
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think Kate might think and try to manipulate all that. I think Jon really wants to be done with it all.