Joke on 2Broke Girls with Anti-Semitic Overtones?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jacobp, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1 of 50
    jacobp

jacobp Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Potomac, MD...

Advertisements

I've hesitated writing this note because i am not one to complain or want to do anything to censor TV shows or comedy, but a joke that was on the most recent (I believe) episode of 2 Broke Girls really got under my skin.

The two girls were in Goodwill, when the blond found some shoes she liked. They were marked with a $8 price tag. When they got to the checkout register, she commented that she thought the shoes were overpriced. After some banter, the cashier said she could reduce the price to $6. The other "broke" girl then remarked "I cannot believe you just 'shoed' her down."

Of course, this is only funny because it is a play on the very anti-semitic notion of someone "jewing" down someone in a price negotiation.

I thought the comment was offensive and just wanted to share this with the rest ofyou in case you didn't see this.

2. Oct 7, 2011 #2 of 50
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think it was really meant as an anti-semitic remark. If she had said "I cannot believe you just 'jewed' her down", then yes, I would agree. I think by using the 'shoed' term, they were trying to make a joke, by NOT being anti-semitic. Was it the best joke? No. Do I think it was meant to be anti-semitic? No.

3. Oct 7, 2011 #3 of 50
    Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    You had to be looking really, really hard for something to be offended about to take that as offensive.

4. Oct 7, 2011 #4 of 50
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Jokes play on stereotypes. I think the real problem here is the writers apparently felt the need to be PC by not saying "jewed" and instead chose a rhyming word like "shoed", this telling everyone listening "yes, we meant jewed, but we feel we can't say 'jewed' in prime time on network television so we'll say 'shoed' instead and wink wink nudge nudge, you know what we meant."

Either stick with the joke in all its glory, or find something else to say.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #5 of 50
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...

Advertisements

Seeing as Kat Dennings is Jewish, I thought that was a good line. Did they make fun with a stereotype, yes. Was it done in an offensive way, no.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #6 of 50
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree. It's kind of like saying to an African American, he's just a "trigger" (when wink wink, you know what he actually meant but can't say it). I'm sure the writers thought it was cute.

I don't know the background of the writers, but when I first moved to Arizona in 1980, I worked in a pizza restaurant when I was in school. My boss was dating a Jewish girl and they had a conversation about something he bought and in passing he said, well when he told me the price, I just jewed him down and got it cheaper. The look on his girlfriend's face said it all. He said, did I say something wrong? And she said, you don't even realize what you said do you? Well it turned out, he'd been using that expression all his life and never even realized that what he said was offensive. Somehow though, the writers must have known, otherwise they would have used the actual expression.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #7 of 50
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    It amazes me that people get offended by the littlest things. 1st world problems I suppose.

8. Oct 7, 2011 #8 of 50
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    What? If they used the actual expression then it would have not been a joke a just a anti-semitic comment. They played off the fact that most people have probably heard that phrase before and played off it with shoe

9. Oct 7, 2011 #9 of 50
    BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    You should have went with your first instinct.

10. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    This.

This.

and this.

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Ninja please.

12. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    If I were in line with a Jewish friend who had a sense of humor that was similar to mine, then I'd have said that joke too. So I don't know if it offensive or not. I am sure my friend wouldn't find it offensive though.

13. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    No support for you here. Bad joke? Sure. Offensive? Only if you choose it to be.

14. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Don't ever watch Family Guy. Or South Park.

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yeah.

Go big or go home. :)

See Trey Parker and Matt Stone on lessons on how to do it.

16. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    No, it was a play on words. It was because they were haggling on shoes.

I didn't see it, but it sounds clever to me.

But then again, I enjoy ethnic humor.

17. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ethnic humor? Wait! I thought it was religious humor? :confused:

;)

18. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    [​IMG]

19. crazywater