John from Cincinnati 7/29/2007 (S01E08) "His Visit: Day Seven"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 29, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

What?

2. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I'm asking the same question, but I still want to see where everything is going. I do wonder if the writers were watching just a bit too much of LOST and learned just a few too many tricks from it, but still, things are interesting in this show. (No comment about that other show....)

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    At least we got to lift up John's shirt and rub his tummy. :p Beyond that, I sure hope something becomes clear soon. There's but 2 more episodes in the season.

4. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I thought this show took a while to get going. The second half was twice as good as the first half. The best scenes are still with John and Butchie when Bill is around.

I kind of thought the video John and Cass shot was John's sermon from the last episode, but that's not what was shown. Seems weird that John would have chosen that route to get the message out. Cissy remembers her meeting with a vision of John, so why couldn't he have just used that method to let everyone know that Shaun will soon be gone?

I really dig this show, but it is starting to bother me that everyone talks pretty much the same. A lot of these people have very little in common and should use completely different phrases, but I think everyone on the show has now said "I can't speak to that" at least once.

5. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Advertisements

I really thought this show was coming together a few weeks back, but now it is looking like a waste of time. And only two episodes left? I have less hope that it will end with me feeling that I want a second season.

6. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    What bothers me in that in the last couple of weeks (and particularly last night), all the dialog is starting to resemble the cryptic Deadwood-speak that so annoyed me on that show.

Best line all night was Butchie to Tina (?): "If I get track of every guy you f#$ked, I wouldn't have time to eat..." :up:

I find "the Hawaiian" and his sidekick totally useless to the plot...Seems like just a way for Milch to give Charlie Utter from Deadwood a job. :thumbsdown:

Cheryl

7. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    More importantly, and again, what is written on Palaka's cast? We got another view of it when he was in the bathroom, but the last word was unintelligible.

Near as I can tell, it says, "drop dead and die" or "drop dead and go".

It's the only solid part of this show that I can hold onto. It says something, but we don't know what. The rest is a mess, and I just don't get it.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    This episode was really uneven. I loved some parts and hated others. I think the hawaiian, the cop, and butchie could have a show of their own that would be more interesting.

I do like the Link storyline though. I like trying to discern whether he is trying to be a good person or if he is the snake that will ruin the garden of eden. I also like how Cass is showing the same frustration that we as viewers are feeling.

What I don't like is how nonchalant everyone is about these miracles. I get that "you will not remember my father's words" I guess... it just seems a bit over the top to me. Almost like it's making the argument that miracles happen every day but our brains are not capable of processing them so we forget them. Not sure I like that idea.

I love luis guzman. He's so perfect with his comedic timing. I laughed out loud when he said "cincinnati" .. which is not that funny of a line, but was delivered so perfectly.

I don't get what's going on with the lawyers exactly... basically meyer(?) believes that he is being bribed to testify against the doctor (who was mysteriously absent)?

9. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    This show is starting to get on my nerves, but I'll watch the last two episodes to see what the hell it was all supposed to be about. Of course that's assuming they answer some questions before the season ends.

10. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    The lawyer for the hospital is trying to get Dickstein to sue the doctor. He provided him with a signed document from the doctor that admitted he did not follow procedure. Basically the hospital is throwing the doctor under the bus to keep themselves out of any lawsuit. That's what the whole thing about monetary compensation after the fact was about. The hospital's lawyer was looking for a small cut of the malpractice suit he hoped Meyer would bring against the doctor for his part in giving Meyer the signed confession from the doc.

I'm still more interested in the relationships and general happenings around IB than what it all means. Unlike Lost, the mystery is not what interests me in this show. I love the chemistry between Butchie and John. I think Bill is awesome, and his scenes with the Hawaiian are spectacular. And I will +1 the comment about Luis Guzman. "Cincinnati" was probably my favorite line in the episode. His delivery was perfect.

Why is everyone trying to figure out the mystery instead of just enjoying the ride. When I'm on Space Mountain I'm not constantly trying to figure out how it ends based on all the twists and turns, I'm just enjoying the ride as it goes along and have faith that when it ends I'll look back and say, "wow! that was awesome!"

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought the document he provided was about the head neurologist and not the ER doctor who resigned...?

Edit: HBO summary says it's smith, guess that explains it, although I don't remember him being a neurologist.

12. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Because the ride is beginning to become unenjoyable as well.

13. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    The cryptic language is my only real complaint right now. They all talk in some form of english that I've never heard used on the street. I mean, none of my friends talk in circles with odd wording in the real world.

I just hope we get some kind of something as a reward for watching.

14. jimest

jimest New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think "John from Cincinnati" is a test.

A test to see how long we will watch this total nonsense.

I'm still watching!!

Jim

15. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    It's almost a train wreck and we can't stop watching.

16. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I think Ed O'Neill has been great in this show and this week was his best performance of the series.

17. jonblaze

jonblaze Member

Jan 10, 2004
    And Emily Rose's performances have been quite strong of late.

18. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    Agreed. I complained about his mannerisms in the first episode, but he has been perfect ever since.

Even Butchie has been good.

But the main female characters are all doing poorly. The less said about Rebecca DeMornay's performance, the better. The girl playing Kai is obviously a surfer and not an actor. The girl playing Cass doesn't have that excuse; she's just a poor actress.

At what point do you begin to blame Milch & crew for this? People have said that these actresses are doing exactly what Milch wants them to do. So I guess it's his fault.

19. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I want to FF every single time she is on the screen. If you've seen her in one scene you've seen them all.

20. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm still trying to figure out why you would have an exclusive shot, at the very end, of Shaun juggling...(btw, that kid is talented... surfing, skateboarding, now juggling... too bad no one taught him to act.)