John from Cincinnati 7/15/2007 (S01E06) "His Visit: Day Five"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 15, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

OK, I think I'm officially scared now. I must've followed at least 80-90% of what John said this episode, and it all made sense. Makes me wonder if I rewatch everything prior I'll understand it much better.

:up:

2. michad

michad CamParDad He's Baaaaaack now with Buddhism.

Sep 9, 2002
    West Texas
    I was coming here to post a similar comment and to say I have no idea where he's (Milch) going with this, but there's very few shows I look forward to this much. Sabrina picked up on the two Butchies at the apartments during John's monologue. Very cool stuff.

3. knownzero

knownzero Seeker

Feb 26, 2001
    Columbus OH
    At 80-90% you're doing significantly better than I am. Love the show, even though I can barely comprehend what's going on.

4. clreimers

clreimers New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Feel free to spoilerize an explanation of the 80-90% that you followed. I could use all the help I can get.

5. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Definitely moved into must see TV. I had serious doubts going into the season, but Milch has erased all of them and almost redeemed the loss of Deadwood. I wish that Deadwood was still going, but John from Cincy has been very, very good.

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I think the moment of understanding for me arrived when John was in the van and said something like "better she shoot me than shoot herself" right after we saw Cissy getting the gun from Kai's trailer, then John collapsed into his chair and appeared in front of Cissy's window. That sequence made it real obvious how John's dialog generally comes about and is meant to be interpreted, and then much of it started making a lot of sense. The hard part is following a lot of it since it quickly moves between different characters and there's not any real clue except the context of the statement as to which character it's about, so it takes a lot of thinking time to figure out and it all goes too fast to dwell much on any one thing.

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    John revealed a little bit about Barry, didn't he?

The cookout was just a little bit freaky. I figured out immediately that John was still in the van and was just projecting, but I was clueless most of the time about what he was saying.

I'm glad I haven't deleted any episodes yet - I'm sure this is one series that is worth watching a second time to see what I missed the first time.

No one noticed another Deadwood alum? Paula Malcolmson played the foul-mouthed waitress serving the wheat grass and offered to mix it with rat poison. When's Tim Olyphant going to show up?

8. sfenton

sfenton Active Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    John's revelation about Cissy and Butchie really added to the family dynamic.

9. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I thought this episode was totally f'd up in a great way. I caught on to much of what John was saying during the cookout, but there was a good portion that didn't make any sense. We got a lot of back-story during that monologue.

I can't wait for Sundays to come around so I can see what's next for these guys. The duet with Bill and Freddy was cool, I really like the dynamic between those two characters. This is just an excellent show with really great stuff. John doing the radio commercial bit talking to Cissy was a nice touch.

Oh, and the revelation about Cissy and Butchie was a total "holy (naughty word for poop)" moment for me.

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Much of what john said at the cookout made little sense to me, aside from the sentences about specific characters. The rest of the episode he made quite a bit of sense. What was that about a wall and a line and a circle?

I wonder if the fiancee is now convinced of the work or if she will run screaming from the bat-crap crazy people.

11. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    Who is John From Cincinnati's father? He talked about him a lot at the cookout...

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    God

13. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    The kitchen window scene with John and Cissy was one of the best in TV. Wow!

14. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Oh yeah, who is the dead guy?

15. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    According to John, he was the guy who...let's say "abused" Barry in room 24 way back when.

16. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Thanks. I guess that was in the 35% I didn't get.

17. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The revelation about Cissy and Butchie had my jaw hanging open for a good minute. I really didn't see that one coming.

His monologue at the cookout had me very confused. I asked aloud what the hell had just happened. Gene's take was that he fixed everybody.

I'm still very confused, but really enjoying it.

18. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't know that he "fixed" everybody, but Butchie and Kai sure seemed happy after it was over. I'd think reliving that memory of his mom showing him "how to do it" would make him break down. Especially after how messed up he was on the phone with Tina.

He definitely had some effect on everyone in attendance though. It did feel somewhat like a group therapy session.

19. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I found the text of John's Soliloquy on another site. I'm afraid I was ZOOOMED on most of this... :( Still liking the show, however :)

20. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Doesn't make any more sense to me seeing it in print. :confused: