1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jessica Jones Season 2: Episodes 1-3 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Mar 11, 2018.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm not much of a fan of full-season threads for Netflix shows. Unless you watch the whole season in basically one or two sittings, the threads aren't safe to come into, and that kills the discussion. So for JJ season two, I thought we might try dividing the season up into quarters and having a thread for blocks of three episodes, with a final thread for the finale (episode thirteen). Might generate more discussion than a single thread without cluttering NP with thirteen single episode threads.

So, spoilers for EPISODES 1-3 of SEASON 2 herein.

The first five episodes were given to critics before the whole season dropped, and reviews were pretty tepid. The ones I read basically said that the season already felt padded, which it usually takes until the middle of these Marvel seasons to do, with not much happening. That was disappointing, so I am happy to say I mostly don't agree.

I was skeptical of the logline that the season would be Jessica investigating her past. I don't really care that much about origin stories. And while I'm not sold on it yet based on these first episodes, so far it's a better hook than I might have guessed. At least it rid us of Simpson! I was pretty unhappy when he showed up early on, since he was a weak point of season one. So it was a nice twist that he was a protagonist here, and that the meat-faced enhanced person took him out so fast. I guess we are supposed to assume that Hansen is that bad guy. I really liked her scene at the bar with Jessica to end episode three; makes me look forward to seeing more of the character and the two of them facing off.

I also like that they've given Malcolm more to do this time out, although he's one of the characters that some reviewers complained drags the early season to a standstill when the focus shifts to them. Really the only person I've found that to be true for is Hogarth; we spent a curious amount of time at her drug orgy and the show has yet to explain why she's even a character in this season. If she's not eventually integrated into the core plot somehow, then it'll probably be a mistake bringing her back (although I like Carrie-Ann Moss in the role).

Krysten Ritter is great as Jessica as always, and they've given her some fun lines here in the early going. This first part of the season isn't great TV, but I've liked it better than I expected to. I thought Daredevil season two was a disappointment, I didn't finish Luke Cage, was mostly bored by The Defenders, and avoided Iron Fist. I'm happy to still be liking Jessica since the rest of the Marvel-Netflix partnership seems on the wane. Looking forward to watching the rest of this.

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    We are through episode 9 and I'm quite happy with the way the season is going.

Will probably wait until it's done and comment on the show in the last thread. I have trouble remembering what detail happened which episode sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My overall experience is that it starts out slow but interesting; has a sensational middle once everything comes together; and falters in the third act but remains interesting.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Well, so much for that experiment. First two posts in the episodes 1-3 thread are about the rest of the season.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And neither of them with a single spoiler!

(The reason I didn't say anything specific is because there's frankly no way for me to remember exactly what happened in which episodes.)

dcheesi likes this.
  6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I finished episode 3. Just two things stand out so far.

1) Cheng deserved his ass whuppin'. I don't get what he's so mad about. He was basically begging Jessica, a notoriously short tempered, violent person to go upside his head.
    2) Do women pick up hookers on the street? Hogarth's orgy/drug scene went on forever and I was surprised that the party girls didn't rob her blind when they were leaving

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    How do they decide which episodes to give to critics? They gave all of them for the Punisher. Why only give 5 here? I've more or less given up on reviews that don't consider all of the episodes for a show like this.

Anyway regarding episodes 1-3, it's not quite up to JJ season 1 so far, but still so much better than The Defenders, Iron Fist, etc.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You're about to reach the point where I questioned why I bother with this series. :) It comes back from it, but I do understand the critics complaints.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I'm doing 2 a night and find it very interesting. I'm on episode 7 tonight and can't wait to find out about the tank bursting.

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The critics didn't get those episodes. Multiple reviews have indicated they were all sent only the first 5 to review.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Those were more two unrelated comments, but I can see how you'd think I was saying that it's episode 10 where the critics consideration might come from. I was more in the "oh, this is such a stupid way to approach the storyline and it's dramatically annoying me to the point I'd almost rather just turn it off entirely" somewhere beginning in episode 10, and from that once that particular major annoyance in how the story was going went away, I felt better.

12. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    OK, not really a discussion of the episodes in mind, but I noticed that one of the producers names is Tom Lieber. Now, Stan Lee had a brother named Larry Lieber. Lieber is Stan’s original last name. Is there any relation? He was a producer on all the marvel Netflix shows.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  13. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Slow start. Seems all the Marvel Netflix shows do this. They should just keep the seasons to 10 episodes. Season 1 was okay with David Tennant in it. I'm realizing that I don't like any of the characters in this show. Seems like a chore to watch each episode. We'll see how the rest of the episodes go.