Jessica Jones s2 e13 finalé "AKA Playland" *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    With respect to cmontyburns and his idea of quarter-season threads, no one has begun any more and there would have been one remaining anyway so here it is.

So my wife and I finished Jessica Jones s2. I felt like it started really strong but faded in the last few episodes. Surprising to me the episode with all the Killgrave appearances fell flat. IMO he was terrifying in S1, an almost perfect comic book villain, but none of that kind of killed it.

Nonetheless, a good season that I would rank right behind S1 and ahead of pretty much all the rest of the Netflix Marvel series.

One thing that stuck me is that where S1 was about men abusing women, S2 was very much more about women abusing men.

I really sort of felt bad for Hogarth, even tho she is a solid gold *****. One thing that occurs to me about her situation, though.

She kept Danny Rand as a client. The Iron Fist can heal, right? That might be her ticket to crossovers in pretty much every Marvel Netflix series.

I'm conflicted about using mom to eat up a whole season, but for now I'll just say it was a decent way to do the origin story that I didn't really want. Looking forward to S3!

2. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I liked it, although there certainly were a lot of plot threads that felt like filler. The big problem is that without a villain as terrifying and compelling as Kilgrave, it just wasn't as intense.

dcheesi likes this.
  3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree the episode with Kilgrave was the weakest episode of season 2.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the woman who played the Mom - I was quite fine with her story running through episode 2.

Trish/Patsy. What a butthead. I can't believe she thought that was the right thing to do.

4. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I got to wondering about her and looked her up on imdb.com. She hasn't appeared in much that I've seen, but interestingly she was the narrator in Maleficient. Very distinctive voice, I agree that she was a strong character.

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I hated the mom storyline and JJs reason to save her was dumb. She was extremely dangerous and against everything JJ stood for.

Also JJs angst is getting tiresome. She finally finds someone (bartender, who I felt was sincere) that makes her happy and his death brings her back to her misery.

Also found the step-mom incredibly familiar. It is Rebecca De Mornay!!! OK, I feel old now...

cheesesteak likes this.
  6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Jessica's mother zoomed past Diamondback, Danny Rand and Ultron as my least favorite Marvel characters. She should have been shot in the head about four episodes earlier.

I finished the season but I had to almost force my way through the last couple of episodes once Kilgrave showed up. I'm not sure I'll make it through the entire next season of Jessica Jones if she continues to be such a miserable human being wallowing in her misery. This season was better than Iron Fist season 1 but that's not much to be proud of.

Krysten Ritter is not a good athlete. Watching Jessica run was painful. Then again, she is wearing boots.

The Pryce Cheng character and subplot made little sense other than being filler.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, I think Kilgrave was such an awesome villain, and such a perfect nemesis for her, that they just had no other ideas that would measure up. Seems like they gave up on creating in interesting villain and just went with "what if she had to face herself, but with everything turned up to 11?"

I liked the Kilgrave in her head schtick for about the first half of the episode, but it was overdone and mishandled toward the end. It made sense that he was her conscience torturing her after offing Dale, but then that should have made her more sensitive and cautious about her violent tendencies later on; instead, it seemed to push her even further. It's like somewhere in there the writers forgot that it was her own imagination, and had him start influencing her like the real Kilgrave instead.

8. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    My wife feels Krysten Ritter is a bad actress. Her Snarkiness aside every line she delivers seems to come out on one tone. There is no range. I suppose the character could be written that way but when you see her against all the actors in stands out.

9. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think the same problem for both S1 and S2 villains are that they're just so powerful combined with the fact it takes Jessica too damn long to accept she or someone else needs to kill them. I get that she is a "good person" and anti hero, but her need to do justice her way when the villain is so fictionally/fantastically dangerous and "powered" in a way they're near unstoppable even on their worst days means the body count goes up when it shouldn't have to.
    Add the fact JJ's mom was pretty much nothing more than a rabid animal, that just left poor JJ tortured and hurt that this was her mommy. it just felt kind of meh.

Once again feeling like these shows are good, but honestly don't need to be 13 hours long. Like remove all of the rival PI plot and Jerri being conned and make the show 10 hours it could have felt more tight and satisfying instead of a slow crawl to the inevitable.

10. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Does anyone think we are going to get a Hellcat Netflix show?

In the comics, Patsy Walker becomes an Avenger named Hellcat, long before the Jessica Jones character was created.

11. dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    Getting through this season was like having a second job. As I told my wife, the thing I want the most out of a Marvel TV Show is family drama. Bringing back Kilgrave was stupid. The whole thing was meh...

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that's not a very nice thing to say! :D