Jessica Jones - S01E13 - "AKA Smile"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by teknikel, Nov 30, 2015.

1. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore

Advertisements

I enjoyed the series. I was hoping we wouldn't have Daredevil crossover but there it is. Nice to see you Rosario.

I suck at these things but I thought we should have this episode for all to comment even though we have a season thread. But I couldn't go in there until I was done.

I wasn't satisfied with the Killgrave conclusion. I mean, she made herself cry? Really?

I am glad they concluded it, though. He was a pretty good villain over all. but if he were to keep going, it would get too ridiculous with everyone able to somehow get to Jessica.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I think the correct title for this Episode is "ALA Take a Bloody Number"

"Smile" is Episode 13

3. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Oh Crap!

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I don't know what that means... did I miss something?

5. Dec 1, 2015 #5 of 35
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore

Advertisements

What I saw was she was pretending to be under Killgrave's influence. Then, to further make him believe that he was controlling her, she shed a tear while he was kissing Trish. That seemed to finally convince him that he was in control and walk up to her.

I just didn't think one of her super powers was great acting. That came out of nowhere.

6. Dec 1, 2015 #6 of 35
    Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    Overall I liked it. I dig dark noir, so this is right up my alley. Not as overall good as Daredevil, however.

Speaking of Daredevil, I was surprised that the "crossover" was this subtle. Sure we have Nurse Rosario and she mentions her friend, but I thought for sure we'd see a reference to Nelson & Murdock -- either a business card referral from Hogarth, or Jessica at their office door.

Spoiler for future Marvel series speculation...

Now that Simpson is in the mix, I have to think we'll see him again in an upcoming Daredevil. I hope they won't jump straight to "Born Again" though.

7. Dec 1, 2015 #7 of 35
    hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    It was no way near as good as DD. And the whole virus was how Kilgrave controls people thing was stupid. But the show was OK over all.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

8. Dec 1, 2015 #8 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Why would that be acting? It had to be tearing her up that he was molesting her only friend in the world like that and she had to let it happen...

9. Dec 1, 2015 #9 of 35
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    He might be taking a shot at Krysten Ritter. I normally don't like her but she was good, and got better, as we rolled along.

I am very concerned about Mike Colter holding 13 episodes down with Luke Cage though. I found him the weakest link.

10. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I suppose that's true.

11. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I think they should have left him alive. Having him in the wind gives rise to better interactions in the future.

Also I was hoping Rosario would have given her Matt's card. I can't believe that he doesn't know about her and Luke. Two more super humans operating in Hell's Kitchen? Daredevil is too perceptive to not know.

12. SWFan

SWFan Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    Personally I loved the series. For me it was a toss up as to whether Daredevil was better or Jessica Jones was better. A very dark show, basically our hero constantly fails to save people.

I did like the ending; I felt quite a bit of satisfaction with it.

13. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    I really enjoyed it - Looking forward to Season II if and when. It also inspired me to go back and watch the remainder of DD we had dropped when Fisk got so brutal (Ep 5 maybe?) ... Colter is great as Luke cage (I liked his style in The Good Wife too!)
    Anyway, I like how the Netflix MCU is working out - Looking forward to a series of Luke cage -

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I half expected Foggy Nelson to be her lawyer at the end.
    But any surprise about Claire being in this was given away by Rosario Dawson's name in the opening credits.

Quite a good series overall.
    I thought that one episode was a bit on the weak side which caused a bit of a pacing problem but overall, I think Jessica Jones is quite good.

I have a bit of discomfort with Jessica actually killing Kilgrave at the end because it does mean that the psychotic Simpson was right all along.

(And it occurs to me that one could argue that this wasn't "Kevin's" fault.)

One of the key themes throughout the series is Control, with Kilgrave representing the ultimate control and others (Jessica, Luke, Trish, Simpson) trying to find their own.

Tennant was great in this as well.

I'm looking forward to the next MCU series.

(Although what happened to all those people that Killgrave told Jessica were going to commit suicide when they were talking in her office?)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  15. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    Not only control, but essentially all the characters are recovering from some sort of abusive relationship.

16. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    I'm still not clear, how was it that Rhea came to have that USB stick? Was it because she'd apparently been looking into Luke's powers? And then, how did Kevin come to know that it existed and then find Rhea?

Was that assumed to be because he'd been following and erasing his trail of existence from the world?

(I figure she'd put it into that building foundation knowing Luke could get to it when the time came.)

17. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Reva. And yes, I had this same question as well. I don't think this was ever really explained. Perhaps we'll learn the answer in the Luke Cage series.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I had read previously that the Night Nurse (right?), Claire, was going to appear in the series. I had actually forgotten about it so it was sort of a surprise when she popped up in this episode, but then I remembered. I thought Rosario Dawson was good here. And I liked that she referred to Daredevil, explicitly tying his and Jessica's worlds together, rather than having him go unmentioned. Her presence felt a little more organic that way.

Re: Foggy, I wasn't expecting him, but I had been wondering whether we were going to see Hogarth again after her story appeared to end a couple of episodes back. Frankly, I'm not sure how much purpose that character served in this series, given how it all ended up. I do think that she's actually positioned now to serve more of a purpose in a second season, if there is one.

So I guess Malcolm will be Jessica's receptionist/assistant in that potential second season. Is he a character from the comics, in that same role, or one the show created?

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think Kilgrave found out about it because he was trying to wipe all records of his existence.

It was not explained as to why Reva had it. I suspect also that this is a plot point that will be picked up in the Luke Cage series.
    She could have been trying to investigate the background of Luke's powers or
    it may be involved in trying to clear Luke's name.

I wonder if those files also came from IGH.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But really, what else could she have done? Every time she let him live, he murdered more people and ruined more lives. He can't be contained, as long as there are people who don't believe in his abilities (and the only way to believe is to suffer them, which means he'll use you to set him free). It's what people kept trying to pound through her head throughout the series but she was too stubbornly blind to see...you can't finesse Killgrave. You can either kill him or let him do his thing. She finally figured it out, and only a bunch more lives were ended or ruined along the way.

It will be interesting to see how she deals with it...she was already quite a mess before the series began.