Jeopardy 3/3/2011 - funny / risque moment

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bananfish, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 #1 of 31
    Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA

Advertisements

I just watched the March 3rd Jeopardy, and it had what had to be the funniest answer/question I've ever heard on the show (which I watch religiously, if belatedly), and I had to share.

In double Jeopardy, there was a topic called "Starts With A Body Part" - so, e.g., the $800 clue was "The name of this Japanese religion actually comes from Chinese words" and the correct response was "What is shinto?" ... with "shin" being the body part at the start of the answer.

A man named Carl selects that category for $1600 and gets a Video Daily Double, and chooses to bet $2000. It's a pretty tight game against his two women competitors and there are only about 9 clues left in double Jeopardy, so there's a palpable sense of tension.

Up pops a picture of a some kind of small rodent with large ears, and the voiced clue "The fur of the rodent seen here is said to be 30 times softer than human hair." The camera focuses on Carl thinking and you can see the wheels turning and a little sweat starting to form on his brow, and Alex does that soft "Carl ..." thing he does to warn the contestant he's about to run out of time ... and Carl finally blurts out "w-what is a titmouse?", then shakes his head and apologizes profusely to the two women contestants after Alex says "no".

I had to stop the show I was laughing so hard. I guess this was Jeopardy's answer to the infamous Newlywed Game question "What's the wildest place you ever made whoopee?" (with the response "that'd be in the butt, Bob").

Carl's answer was actually quite clever, when you think about it. The correct response, BTW, was "what is the chinchilla?"

2. Mar 9, 2011 #2 of 31
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    He should've said chickadee and just been a little less embarrassed and just as wrong. :)

3. Mar 9, 2011 #3 of 31
    Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    At least he didn't say pussycat.

4. Mar 9, 2011 #4 of 31
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Titmouse was my only answer, too. :eek:

I wonder if I would have gone ahead with it, though.

5. Mar 9, 2011 #5 of 31
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vduo5jfrtPQ

(I always forget how to embed)

6. Mar 9, 2011 #6 of 31
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...

7. Mar 9, 2011 #7 of 31
    Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I was aware of the chinchilla ranch scams of the late 60s so I knew the correct answer.

I like the wrong answer better, though. ;)

8. Mar 9, 2011 #8 of 31
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Um...a titmouse is a bird, isn't it?

9. Mar 9, 2011 #9 of 31
    DVC California

DVC California Member

Jun 4, 2004
  10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Someone finally was more risque than Ken Jennings, of all people.

Here's my paraphrase, someone will undoubtedly google it and give an exactly correct description.

The category was something like "tools". The answer was something like "This word can also mean a loose woman."

Ken gave the question "What is a ho?" (i.e. "hoe")

Alex laughed and/or made some comment. The word they were going for was 'rake'.

Another contestant, some kind of religious person, said he was glad Ken said it, because he was going to give the same answer/question.

11. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Here's some Jeopardy *****:

12. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    The neat thing is I think Ken knew the right answer, but was so far ahead he went for the joke.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have no proof, but I really don't think so. I seem to remember he said it sheepishly, and he's a straightlaced guy.

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    He didn't sound sheepish (in the clip posted just before your post by the way), and if you'd read his first book or follow his tweets you wouldn't think he was straight laced either. He's really funny.

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    IMHO Ken was robbed.

"Rake" was originally used to describe men. I suppose it's applied to both sexes now, but I've never heard of it being applied to a woman.

OED online says:
    If the term "rake", in its original usage, had been used equally about men and women, then the OED would say so.

16. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    What is a Nutria?

17. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The actual clue was Immoral Pleasure Seeker, so Rake is just fine.

18. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    a rat.

19. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    According to Ken's blog:
    - he didn't know the correct answer, thought it was "hoe", but went from pretty sure it was right to pretty sure it was wrong in a split second between the time the answer popped into his head and the time he buzzed in. But thought "meh, it's worth $200 to be able to say "what is a hoe?"" on Jeopardy.

- he does think the "e" on "hoe" disqualifies his answer, the slang word is clearly spelled without the "e", doesn't think he was "robbed".

20. aaronw

aaronw Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Reading ken's blog http://ken-jennings.com/blog/ shows that he is pretty clever and pretty much aware of everything he says. He may be straightlaced, but he's willing to go for the joke.