Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, May 29, 2020.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I watched all 4 last night. It was a disgusting little pyramid scheme he had going. Basically enticing young girls from the wrong side of the "tracks" with a couple hundred bucks to recruit one another for his perversion. And he apparently got away with it for decades. I only wish he lived long enough to get some of his own medicine in prison.

Steveknj and markymark_ctown like this.
  3. Jun 1, 2020 #3 of 10
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have this on my list to watch. With everything going on, I haven't really been in the mood to watch a story about a privileged rich white man committing egregious crimes since that is all we've been seeing these days. But I'll get to it when I'm in the right frame of mind.

4. Jun 3, 2020 #4 of 10
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched the first two last night. It really explains a lot about how money and privilege can buy your way out of a LOT of trouble. Epstein eventually got caught, but you have to wonder how many other rich jerks have perversions that they buy their way out of? Speaking of which, it was interesting how during those first two episodes they kept showing those pictures with a certain current US political leader.

I found it just as fascinating about how much he cheated in his business life too (because we already know his sexual predator story). He misrepresented himself numerous times. And he also used extortion and other threats to keep it all secret. He would have made a great mobster.

5. Jun 3, 2020 #5 of 10
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Look up the history of DHL founder Larry Hillblom, there have been at least two documentaries about him (Shadow Billionaire and King Larry) and his well-known tendency to go on sex safaris, and a multi-year fight over his estate between families of his illegitimate children, the direct family of Hillblom, and UCSF who was the primary beneficiary in the will, complicated by someone associated with Hillblom meticulously removing any DNA evidence of him from his house in Saipan (Hillblom himself disappeared at sea in a plane crash)

6. Jun 3, 2020 #6 of 10
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I watched 3 episodes on Sunday, and the final episode on Monday... Pretty interesting stuff...

Your comment above is also notable... It reminds me of something completely off-topic... I follow a personal finance guy on YouTube, and he talks about "that cup of coffee" that everyone says to avoid purchasing because it is an avoidable expense (where am I going with this, right?).

His point is that it is not just the cup of coffee... It's about the fact that if you get yourself to think about the cup of coffee, and why you are taking that out of your budget...that you will, in turn, use the same reasoning on other aspects of your life... And that's why taking the cup of coffee out of your budget can be life changing... You begin to look at everything else in your budget with the same filter and context...

He likely started lying about the little things (his "cup of coffee") early in his life... And it worked for him...and this gave him comfort in lying on his resume, and everything else we saw on the program. And he discovered that he was good at it (which probably gave him the confidence to do it over and over again, and is how he got away with so much for so long). I am not even sure he had to try anymore...it became natural... Just like it becomes easy for everyday people to avoid unnecessary purchases because of that cup-of-coffee your avoided early in life...

Back on topic (and spoiler tagged just in case):
    Obviously I knew that he killed himself...it was headline news... But I didn't have the whole story and didn't understand when in the timeline he committed suicide... When it got to the end I was sorely disappointed that he avoided the consequences right when he got in an unrecoverable jam. Do we think he actually committed suicide, or do we think it was a homicide since he had so much on so many influential people?

7. Jun 5, 2020 #7 of 10
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    We finally wrapped this up a couple nights ago. Good info but waaaay too drawn out. I feel they could of told the same story in 90 minutes rather than almost 240ish.

8. Jun 5, 2020 #8 of 10
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We finished the other night as well. I agree, it was too drawn out, and really, nothing much new here. It would have been an interesting 2 hour show maybe. Considering that his MO with almost all of his victims was similar, I guess they didn't need to tell all of the stories. Two or three of them would have sufficed.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  9. Jun 7, 2020 #9 of 10
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That (bolded by me) is what has kept me from watching this. I did watch the ID channel, 3 hour, program and even that seemed drawn out.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  10. mt1

mt1 Mostly lurking now

Dec 13, 2002
    CA
    I don’t think I can do this series. I found the first 15-20 minutes of ep1 just a little too soul crushing.