JavaHMO GUI configuration from headless Linux server

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by goony, Mar 9, 2006.

1. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    This post explains how to use the JavaHMO GUI on the Linux box to setup your JavaHMO without a graphical interface on the Linux box.

A few of us have Linux servers that we run in a non-graphical mode - we prefer either the performance increase, or just plain don't have an attached monitor/mouse/keyboard. If that is what has been keeping you from running JavaHMO on your Linux box then wait no longer - I moved my JavaHMO server to my 'headless' Linux box and it's been far more stable than on my Windoze machine.

For this illustration (your IP addresses will differ):

Linux box with JavaHMO server installed: 192.168.0.5
    PC running Windoze: 192.168.0.101

1. Download/burn an XLive CD

Grab from http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/ - this will enable you to run XWindows on your PC without having to install anything on it (but you can choose to do so if you want to).
    2. Run XWindows from the CD you just made

Put it into your PC's CD drive and it should auto-launch the application. It may take it a bit, but eventually you will get a small text window (not the regular DOS window) with a color prompt (see attached image). In that window, you need to permit access from your Linux box:

Code:
      xhost +192.168.0.5
    3. Configure your Linux to point to your PC running XWindows and start the JavaHMO GUI (login as root)

Code:
      # export DISPLAY=192.168.0.101:0
      # jhmo gui &
      #
    Presto, your JavaGUI config window should appear on your Windoze desktop.

Note: For some reason, on my Win2K PC, sometimes I have to kill/restart the XWin Live CD to get the small window to come up - dunno why it sometimes doesn't work on the first run.

Attached Files:

2. tortio

tortio New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I do something similar abut use VNC. But using VNC is more or less a complete X session running on the remote host, but it works very well. This sounds like it might be a little simplier and will get you up and running faster.

Cool! :up:

3. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Yea, I use VNC too on occasions... but if you are running in non-graphic mode (you can change this in your /etc/inittab file) there's no "desktop" to use VNC with.

FYI, you can turn off the graphics on a Linux server by editing the /etc/inittab file and doing a reboot thusly:

Code:
    #near the top of the file, change runlevel from '5' to '3'
    #id:5:initdefault:
    id:3:initdefault:

#Comment line at the bottom of the file prevent the running of the desktop task
    #x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon