Janky page loading and display ?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by krkaufman, Mar 28, 2021.

1. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

TCF seems to have a unique glitch in loading pages, where the page loads ... but then will make two more adjustments before all the bits stabilize. It's not critical, but it didn't used to be this way ... and makes navigation mildly annoying (and sometimes errant, when attempting to click a link before the page has stabilized).

Even as I'm writing this, the page display has been jumping around, causing me to lose mouse focus ... due to varied graphics dimension in the advertisement graphics.

Just thought it should be mentioned.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Not seeing an issue here. Safari on an iPhone.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Could be a "TCF Club" difference.

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    I've tried a few browsers logged in & out & not seeing anything "janky".

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

The attached screenshots demo the effect, and the cause (the banner ads space). Banner ads of differing dimensions also appears to be the cause of the page jumping while reading/composing.

loading1.jpg loading2.jpg loading3.jpg

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Are you referring simply to the delays in loading things like that advertisement that ultimately push content further down the page because appropriate space wasn't left for the image that's being displayed there?

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Simply, yes. (Where "ultimately" is often, if not usually, a two-step process, requiring I wait several seconds before trying to click on any link, waiting for the page to stabilize. So not simply delays in graphics being drawn/displayed, but the page layout changing during the process.)

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's pretty much how things will always be unless they choose to standardize on the space allotted for ads above or to the left of things so that different sizes don't reflow the rest of the page content. Sometimes you can exert some control over that with a plug-in that lets you tweak aspects of the HTML on the web page. But if you're going that far, blocking/removing the ads is more effective, and overall far more pleasing. :) And an alternate approach is to buy a TCF membership, of course.