iTunes server for Tivo for OSX

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ForrestB, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone is using under OSX to serve up iTunes (MP3) music files for their Tivo. I have Zippered Tivo's running Tivo software version 6.2. Is Tivo Desktop 1.9.3 still preferred, Tivoserver, or JavaHMO. I'm running iTunes 7.2 under OSX 10.4.10.

Secondly, I've seen M3U playlists mentioned a few times in conjunction with Tivo music playback. Since I'm already running MyTunesRSS 3 to stream iTunes music with M3U playlists - can these be accessed on my Tivo's?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I still run desktop 1.9.3, but rarely use it since each room has an Airport Express anyway.

3. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Installed TivoDesktop 1.9.3 yesterday on my G4 PowerMac - it worked great :)

After reading about the install problems with TivoDesktop on OSX 10.4.x - I was expecting it to be difficult - but it wasn't at all. In fact it was stupid simple - clicked thePublish Music and Start Server checkboxes and under the Sharing Preference Panel clicked the TivoDesktop ports checkbox and everything worked perfectly :D

TivoDesktop was also smart enough not to display the Protected AAC files I purchased from the iTunes music store.

According to Activity Monitor, TivoDesktop was using 25 MB of RAM and a paltry 0.1% CPU time! I can't believe I waited 2 years to try this out after Zippering my Tivo's.

4. remix1138

remix1138 New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I run TiVo Desktop from my G4 and from my MacBook - it has been fine for the 3 years I have had TiVos (5x Series 2)