It's the transperancy, stupid!...blog rant about TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 23
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 23
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Thanks for the link.

He's probably not a new user and that Premiere probably isn't his first TiVo.

From his rant

"Microsoft (I work here and pushing for transparency is part of my job)"

He owes me a new keyboard.:D

3. Nov 2, 2011 #3 of 23
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Actually I believe he is since some of the Media Center MVPs asked him why not Media Center when he got it and he said something to the effect of he didn't want to build another PC.

This is all I could find though.

http://twitter.com/#!/shanselman/status/87378857862238208

As far as the Microsoft part he addressed that in his comments.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 23
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The idea that pushing for transparency is part of anybody's job at Microsoft is something I'll take with a grain of salt.

If he's got that position at MS, he's probably had disposable income for some time now, as well as an awareness of technology, and it seems he'd have tried out Tivo before now.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 23
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'd replace the 1st bolded text with - "They are ignorant enough to believe they are entitled to new features of there own choosing"
    and the second bolded text needs this added to the end "and there are 10,000 for each one of those complainers that are satisfied and/or just don't care."

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 23
    takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Not necessarily. I've had disposable income for some time now as well as an awareness of technology and only picked up my first Tivo a litter over a year ago. The latter doesn't automatically follow the first two.

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7 of 23
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 23
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I like his comment about the HDUI switching between the SDUI and HDUI. About this issue he says "...It's been like this for years, plural...". The Premiere came out around the end of March 2010. So it's only been out 19 months.

While the issue is annoying he can at least get the facts straight instead of making out an exaggerated statement as truth.

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 23
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Technically 1.x years (i.e., one year and a fraction of another) is "years".

But, yeah, he'd have been better off to have called it "for over a year now".

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    While he focuses on a roadmap, I think if TiVo even gave us a changelog and patch notes it would be a start.

Unless a feature is worthy enough of a press release like Pandora, Hulu, or possibly streaming they don't even tell us it is there.

I remember sending a list of suggestions in and one of those was the ability to automatically create a wishlist of a show or episode. Someone from TiVo replied that at least the wishlist creation for an episode was already there. The only way you would have known is if you had stumbled across it.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    April 2012 will come and go and the HD menus still won't be dealt with anyway. Let him word it how he wants....Tivo doesn't care or they would have done something about it during the past 19 months.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Note to Microsoft: Speaking of transparency, how about some for the WTV video format? I wonder how many labor hours have been expended reverse-engineering it by developers such as those at VideoReDo?

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Whether it's 1.x years or 2 or more, the lack of progress and info on it from Tivo is a clear indication that it is not important to them. Just like all the other half-baked stuff in the UI (Amazon, Netflix, Rhapsody, YouTube, video podcasts, etc.).

You often wonder if they just get something out there to be able to slap a sticker on a box and say they support it. Completely marketing-driven with no effort to make it work like it should, in other words.

And this all ties in with the blog's point that there is little transparency or feedback from Tivo, even to their most loyal customers here. They don't even tell us what the survey results are, and we fill them out.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have suspected this for quite some time. They have a strong marketing team what knows how to make the product look as good as possible. They know it's a weak product so they try to splash everyone else's logos all over the box.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Microsoft is an open book compared to TiVo. Microsoft publishes change lists. Microsoft publishes APIs (TiVo only used to).

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Tivo just announced a new communicatiins director. hopfully a sign of some change.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Only if he or she is allowed to beat the CEO severly about the head and shoulders with a very large and stout clue cudgel.

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, but what kind of change?

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Hey, you know ..... "hope and change"! Seems like I've heard that somewhere else recently. :rolleyes:

20. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    It's a sign that top TiVo management is beginning to realize they are damaging their brand. But like any poorly run company they have to hire someone to ask you, "Who are you going to believe, your lying eyes or me?

Who has a better resume to cover-up for a poorly run company than the resume this new communications director developed from Washington politics?

Impostor Tom Rogers, President and CEO of TiVo, continues to crack me up.