It's just a power supply, right? Why not replace it with something else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jemico, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jemico

Jemico New Member

Nov 22, 2016

Advertisements

I am curious, considering the cost of a new PSU (and I like tinkering), if anyone has replaced their Tivo power supply with a computer PSU. Does anyone have info on the motherboard connector pin voltages? I'm sure my 11 year old 652 would love a new power supply (even though it kind of works fine most of the time).

2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, it will not work as the power supply is not a generic one. The TiVo has special voltages needed to run the tuners, for example

3. Jemico

Jemico New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I see. I'll have a look to see if I can find the pin voltages on the board connector and make a determination of either rebuilding the PSU or replacing it with something custom. I suppose I could just open the cover and take some readings if I don't find any information.

4. achalupa

achalupa Member

Oct 27, 2008

The main s3 power supply thread has posts that explain what the volts should be for each wire. I don't remember seeing it printed on the board.

Replacing the caps is fairly easy. Probably easier and safer to do that than putting together something custom. All of the caps can be purchased for less than $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Advertisements

Of course a computer PSU could be adapted.
    I looked into doing just that, but quickly found.
    That it's so much easier to just replace the capacitors. (which I did, S3 OLED, model TCD648250)
    Capacitors cost $12 (bought 2 sets, just in case) from Mouser, with shipping.

If you have a PSU kicking around, a soldering pencil, and associated tools & skills.
    Give it a go.
    Oh yeah, the first thing I discovered, computer PSUs are far too large to fit into a tivo case.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think a computer power supply has a 7.5V output which is needed at least for the S3 OLED models for the display. Here are the voltages and current output of the S3 OLED power supply.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list
    3Y power supply CP-1104 R2
    TiVo PN SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3
    3.3V 4.1A
    5.0V 8.4A
    7.5V 1.9A
    12.0V 1.0A

And here are the voltages and current output of one of the 2 types of HD power supplies.

TiVo S3 HD capacitor list
    Acbel Polytech ST7002-BW0G
    TiVo PN SPWR-00011-000 Rev B0
    3.3V 5.7A
    5.0V 9.1A
    12.0V 1.2A

Scott

7. Jemico

Jemico New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Thanks! I verified the same today by opening up my 652. Standard computer PSU voltages (3.3v, 5v, and 12v) and standard color coding of the voltages.

But what else I found, pleasently, were visually good caps! So maybe I'll just hold off. Box works fine except for the current Houston Comcast MPEG4 issue that is possibly being worked on by TiVo for the 652 compatibility. Yes, the 652 is supposed to now work with MPEG4, but it's not in all markets.

But to the point of this post, the PSU could easily be converted to an ATX power supply if someone was in a pinch. But sure, I agree. Just rebuild the caps if needed. Nothing to gain from a more robust than needed PSU.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    True; but a 12v rail could be regulated to 7.5v.
    As I said, it could be done; it's just the matter of how much trouble you want to take on.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I know enough about electronics that I could adapt a computer power supply to run a TiVo.

Which is why I know that it would be simpler and involve less soldering to just replace the caps on the TiVo power supply.

10. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Old thread, but I have done that. I had to cut off part of the heat sink to get to fit inside the case, and I thought it was running a little warm, so I mounted an 12V fan on top the case to keep it cool. I did this right before I added an fan to my bolt to keep it cool(65c TO 39c)(