It's finally happened, I guess I'll be saying goodbye to my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kmccbf, Apr 15, 2011.

1. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    After all this time it looks like I will be saying goodbye tomy old Sony Series One Tivo. I hate to see it go.

Comcast has finally turned off their non-digital channels and the remote to their small adaptor conflicts with their DVR Box attached to the same TV. I would go with a new Tivo, but with what Comcast charges for their cablecards, it goes over my spending limits. I'll miss being able to record up to six programs at once (using my other non digitial machines). But mostly I'll miss the recording space I had on the TIVO after I put in the new hard drive; something I can't do with my Comcast DVR.

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The first CableCARD provided by Comcast is free and shouldn't incur an additional outlet fee unless it really is an additional outlet. I can't remember what I used to pay, maybe $6 or $7.99 per AO.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/F...f4-def06cced0db&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Our DVR has something like 100 hours of HD or 600 hours of SD, but we find that once it gets to about 20 hours recorded, there is no way we will ever catch up with it.

4. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I seem to be in the disclaimer area. When I called they told me $14 per card. Maybe because I also have their two tuner DVR. Good old Comcast. But I may push them on it and see what happens.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    No way is that right for a CableCARD. I can't even imagine an AO fee would run that high. Then again, this is Comcast...

I would give them another call.

6. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Comcast CSR was quoting you the monthly rate for their DVR not cablecard.

Cablecard is only $2ish and as was said first one might be free.

FIOS though charges you $4 per card which is a rip.

7. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    It will be nice if this is the case, but I specificly said cablecard four times, and I already have their DVR. I'll check again with them though. But I'm still going to have to cancel my Tivo for now. I've got $3000 worth of medical and car repair bills to pay before I can buy a new Tivo.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The adapter only needs to be controlled by the IR cable from the Tivo. Hide the adapter behind piece of furniture or another component. The adapter comes with Velcro so you can mount it out of site.

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, just get a full-featured cable box from them or even the free DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) and use your IR blaster cable to control it.

Build an IR tent (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/71/kw/tent) over it and it won't matter if it conflicts with their DVR.

Live long, little SVR-2000. ;)

10. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Wouldn't it make more sense to drop Comcast and go with free over the air TV?:confused:

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A Series 1 can only control a couple OTA digital converer boxes and then it won't tune sub-channels.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Exactly what I was going to say, and another option is the ggray cable.

13. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    (not to derail the content of the tread) No, we'll be totally free and clear in a month. And we never vary the amount we put into savings. We don't think of savings it as available money for anything except emergency medical expences which the medical bills aren't, even though they were unexpected. We have a limit on what we will pay for entertainment and that's what price quoted me exceeds. In a month a could by a new TIVO no problem.

14. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
  15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, get rid of their DVR, and the CableCard in the Tivo will be "free" with your digital subscription.

The $14 is really the extra "digital outlet fee".. which includes the first cablecard.

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Hold on-

If you are buying a new TiVo in a month, you may want to keep the old box active for this bridge period to get the multi-box discount for lifetime service.

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is that Sony lifetimed or by the month?

If lifetime, it's worth keeping on your account just for a discount on the monthly on another TiVo. Just let it call in every month or so.

18. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I already have a comcast HD two tuner DVR. It just doesn't give me enough HD recording space. Which is why I was thinking about buying a new Tivo. If the cost per card is indeed low enough it might fit our budget. If not. I'll just have to do with the Comcast DVR. Though I am planning to trade it in for the upgrade 3D one. There's no cost for that.

But I'll miss my TIVO.

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just cover the IR sensor on the little box with black electrical tape. That will block out the commands coming from the remote and allow the TiVo to have sole control of the box. Using a stick on IR emitter like this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40432-Infrared-Emitter/dp/B001DF7EC8

makes it look cleaner, but you can do it with the TiVo supplied ones as well.

Edit: I forgot, the Series 1 units have that IR blaster on the front panel. You'll have to crack it open and cover that blaster with a little electrical tape as well to keep the TiVo commands from interfering with the DVR.

Dan

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, I realize this is implied (or should be reasonably inferred), but I'll still comment on it.

This is only true IN YOUR AREA. I still get analog channels (up to I think channel 33, but Discovery on 29 is the highest one I care about), and do use my XS32 & S1 as 'backup' recordings for some things (e.g. nightly news).