It's creepy when my TiVo changes channels in the middle of the night

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GriffithStrife, Oct 23, 2011.

1. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    So I'm sleeping and having these great dreams if Urkel goin on an adventure with Dora the explorer to save bikini bottom then, all of a sudden mr krabs is screaming cause he found a horse head in his crabby patty. Must my TiVo do this to me?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I hate it when that happens! :eek:

Get a TV with a sleep timer. If your TV has that feature, USE IT. :)

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you want to leave a certain channel on all night, set a manual recurring recording for that channel and then delete it the next day. Or use your TV's tuner. Or a basic cable box. Or shut off the TV and make up your own dreams. ;-)

4. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I know there are workarounds but I am someone who needs to have TV on all night even when I sleep if its off I wake up.

5. mpogge

mpogge New Member

Sep 12, 2010
    What I hate more is when both tuners are on the same channel.....Tivo should prevent this from ever happening.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Huh? I want to see the power bill for leaving a TV on all night. I don't have a TV in my bedroom so I guess I don't get this.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I need it to happen on a daily basis. Preventing it from ever happening would eliminate recordings.

As for the OP, I think a radio would be an option that would work at least as well as the work arounds he seems to refuse to implement because apparently it's easier to do nothing and suffer through these horrible channel changes than it is to have to actually do something.
    But of course, breaking one's self of such a habit would be the ideal solution.

8. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    I live alone. And the scariest thing that EVER can happen is being up late at night and going to the kitchen to make something to eat.. and as you listen to your TV program from afar you hear the TV channel change! True story.. as it happened to me.

And thus the often told tale began of how I ended up in the dead of the night shaking with fear in my living room with a large knife searching high and low for an invader. Needless to say, even after I searched every inch of the house and finally figured out what happened.. I still didn't sleep that night.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So someone broke into the house to change the TV channel?:D

10. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't feel sleeping with the TV on is a bad habit, some people sleep with headphones on some sleep only after having happy time. If any thing TV is on the better side of those habits, it's not laziness that keeps me from implementing a work around it's forgetfulness. I could set the Tivo to record Nick but I fall a sleep before I remember to do so.

I have a LED TV from what I understand It costs 2.43 a month to run my TV 24 hours a day. From what I hear depending on your plan that could change to double that

11. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why is it changing channels in the night? Is it recording Suggestions or something?

Why not just turn that off? Problem solved.

12. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I called it a habit, not a bad habit. I also didn't say anything about being lazy. As for forgetting to set the tivo to record Nick, you only have to set the Tivo one time and then you don't have to ever do it again, that's what Tivos do.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This is the silliest thread I've seen in a long time.

14. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I was not fighting with you, others have called it bad not you. Relax a bit mate I know what the Tivo does, just felt like sharing my story.

I know right this tread is taking up space about how Tivo is dying a slow but certain death. I mean we could have 3 or 4 more rants about how Tivo is dead, but instead I waste space about something random and lighthearted.

15. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I would call it a bad habit. It prevents you from sleeping in any environment where you DON'T have a TV.

You know, if your power is out, if you're staying at a friends who doesn't have a TV, if you were to go camping, if your TV breaks, if your cable goes out, if you marry or date someone who can't sleep with noise...

And we haven't even talked about the electrical drain or what it's doing to the life of your TV.

It's a dependency and it's just generally bad with no actual positive benefits over sleeping without the TV on. You should work on curing yourself of it.

16. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Who? I don't see where anyone even hints at calling it bad and I'm the only one that had called it a habit until Grakthis responded, but that came well after the fact.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I completely agree. I wasn't going to go there, but now he's opened the door on the bad habit issue himself by needlessly defending it.

18. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Dude RELAX I am not fighting with you or Grakthis I understand both your points. But I am married and both me and my wife need the TV on, neither of us are crack heads we can sleep without it. We just prefer it on, I was not looking to make anyone's head explode.

19. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010

The above post was not me defending anything, it was just me explaining things a bit further. It was not directed at anyone or typed with anger, it was just me elaborating. I hope this cleared that up

20. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    The reason it changes channels is it records the showcase ads. In my case, I was recording a bunch of late night Twilight Zone episodes and was actively watching another channel when I got up and it decided to change the channel to record the showcase ads.