It's been a good run...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mp11, Jan 14, 2020.

1. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    After probably 10 years or so, I'm cancelling Spectrum TV and my Tivo account to go to streaming. I may be back...but probably not. My question is, once I cancel my Tivo and cable account, what can I expect to do with this Tivo Premier? Right now I have my outdoor antenna running through it for additional locals. I'm pretty sure I will lose the guide info, but is there a way to use it solely for this OTA viewing? On the other hand without a cable card it may be totally useless anyway. Any thoughts?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I do streaming, but still have cable since *shows expire off of streaming*. There are MORE shows than I can watch that I'm interested in, and keep up with a lot on streaming (just so I can watch WITHOUT commercials or even having to skip commercials).. but I tivo them as backup.. admittedly mostly as SD since I DO try to keep up with a lot of them on streaming.
    (but things like reality shows pile up -- though nowadays that I know the Tivo code to go up to 1.9x faster, I am watching even those natively on the tivo more often.)

3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Like mattack said, streaming licenses expire. Unless you're using Kodi or somesuch you will find frustraion from time to time if you depend on streaming.

As for locals, if you remove it from the internet before your sub runs out you can probably still use it as an OTA box indefinitely, but it will give you the "guide info out" message from time to time. You can probably still manually record shows though.

4. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    OK so to get this straight, if I disconnect the internet before calling to cancel, it can have OTA possibly with recording? That would be sweet.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Nobody said anything about recording. Need a guide to record. Maybe manual recording.

6. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Well Youtube TV has unlimited DVR and keeps recordings for 9 months. That's WAY longer than I would ever dream about keeping recordings. I'm in the middle of a 14 day free trial right now.

pl1 and mdavej like this.
  7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I’m a happy YTTV user since 11/22/2019, having cut my Spectrum cable TV then. But just FYI, it is my understanding that not all YTTV recordings are retained for 9 months — it can be less depending on the agreement with the particular provider.

And if you are an aficionado of the TiVo UI you may be somewhat disappointed with the YTTV DVR interface. However that would have to be a lot worse to make me want to go back to Spectrum and their poor support of Tuning Adapters and sleazy tactics regarding huge price increases.

8. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

Well, let's just say that's the way the old series 2 would work. You can't tell it to "record 'Friends' every day at noon" because you don't have guide data, but you can say "record at noon every day for 1 hour" under the manual recording feature.

9. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Well, first I'll say I can't really say anything bad about my Tivo Premier or Tivo service in general,--other than the little signal search "spinning wheel" from time to time. Note: My previous Tivo HD never did that. The problem over the years has been more with Charter/Spectrum not knowing how, or not wanting to deal with the Tivo. They have made it very clear how they feel about Tivo.

And you're absolutely right about the UI, which is one of the things I'll miss about Tivo. No streaming service right now can come close to Tivo UI. But I can deal with it. And streaming is still very young, I look for things to improve via s/w updates in time.

10. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I can deal with that, thanks. :) Which brings up another question, is there some sort of bare bones subscription that would provide guide data for OTA?

11. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    "As long as you maintain your membership status, live TV recordings will be saved for 9 months" according to Google.

Underneath that it says, "Other programs will vary based on agreements with our content partners" but I take that to mean all the on-demand stuff on their UI and not stuff you record.

12. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

No, they just have "subscribed" and "non-subscriber", but if you call to cancel your Tivo sub they'll offer you cut-rate deals if you say it's because of cost. The last one they offer is 4.99 I think.
    IIRC it's 14.99, 12.99, 9.99, then 4.99 and if you don't like any of those they'll just agree and cut your service.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    What's the difference between using your old Tivo for OTA viewing (which will continue to work fine without a subscription) and just using your TV's own tuner? If I were you, I'd get what little money I could out of the Tivo before ATSC 3 really makes it a doorstop.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    For example, S1 of New Amsterdam had a bunch of episodes expire before I watched them.. so I have a bunch of eps downloaded (in SD) if I ever want to watch those SD ones. Usually if I miss episodes, I'll stop watching, but for some reason I started watching again (it's a pretty decent "watch on the treadmill" show).

heck, I thought I missed the last season of Elementary since it went off of CBS All Access. but it showed up on Hulu.. so I think I have only 2 left.

I can't think of an example but there are shows I've watched that were WAY older than 9 months (and watched until I ran out of my recordings), and even one or two that I then finally caught up with 'live' and then watched the new recordings.

15. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I take it, it's not lifetime unit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

16. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yeah I'm gonna be in the same boat pretty soon. Unfortunately I'm just slightly too far to get good OTA reception for the all channels I care about.

My biggest gripe with cable though is mostly about the quality. If Comcast would broadcast at bitrates similar to what they did 10+ years ago when there were lots of really nice looking 1080i and 720p channels it would be great, but ever since their conversion to mpeg4 a couple years back quality has gone in the toilet. I don't care so much about the move from 1080i to 720p as the fact that everything is compressed to hell and looks worse than a SD DVD. Because of this, I find that I watch everything I possibly can via some streaming platform or another. HBO is a good example, as the 1080p streams from HBO Go look FAR better than anything broadcast via on HBO's cable channels. The bitrate is probably double what Comcast is sending. None of that really matters though since cable TV is more or less dying over the next few years. All the good high quality content like 4K is going to come over IP, and our Tivos are useless for that. It's been a good run...

17. BeerPimp

BeerPimp New Member

May 12, 2010
    I was thinking of switching to YTTV but when I looked at their channel list they had everything I need except one channel A&E.

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    And they may offer a $99 Lifetime/All-in service deal.

Scott

19. texasPI

texasPI Member

May 9, 2010
    Same here. I may end up going with YTTV anyway.

20. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    The point about watching a show later on Hulu actually reinforces why keeping recordings for only 9 months is not a limitation for most people and I dare say ~99% of people. :)